Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 PM

371 posts, read 815,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That is, hands down, the most bizarre reason to move to another state I've ever heard.

Growing up, I went to a pediatrician who was Harvard-educated and the best of the best in New England. In a roundabout way, he would explain to parents that, if you don't vaccinate your kids, GTFO of my office. Vaccinations are very, very important to individual and public health.

I'm glad to see twits like that dope from Ladera Ranch leave. Good riddance!
I really doubt there are more than a handful of people who are moving solely because they have to vaccinate their kids. The fact that someone might do that adds to newsworthiness of the story, so I can see why they threw it in -- but it's not a a real life driver of people leaving the state.

My guess is that 99% of the people who are saying they are leaving the state because of vaccinations (which is, I'm guessing, just a drop in the bucket of people leaving the state), would probably plan on leaving anyways, but to make a point they proclaim it's because of the vaccination law. Such a bold statement gets people's attention (and yourself in the newspaper), which helps make their point that they don't like the law.

Last edited by bowneline; 03-16-2017 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM

371 posts, read 815,911 times
People leaving OC and California is, in my estimation, driven by one factor: housing prices.

Yes, there are surely anecdotal cases of people who are truly motivated to leave because of gun laws, or a liberal state government, or vaccinations. But, that is just a tiny handful of people. relative to the thousands that leave simply because it's too hard to afford a nice house to raise a family in.

A lot of people either flat-out can't afford a house in OC, or would have to have both parents working, or working multiple jobs -- all to afford a so-so house (relative to what you can get elsewhere).

To make a better life for themselves and their kids, they move where they can own a nice house, and work less hard to afford it. I believe it's that simple.

If I snapped my fingers and the median 3/2 house with a yard in OC cost $300,000 -- you know what would happen? People would be flooding into OC, and only a small handful of people would be leaving. If the median house in OC cost the same as the median house in Dallas or Oregon or Las Vegas -- people would not be moving from OC to those places, people would be moving from those places to OC.

It's not about gun laws or vaccination laws or liberal state politics. It's about housing prices and the inability to for most people afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM

119 posts, read 156,111 times
I hope y'all keep on moving out. Go to Oregon where it rains 7 months of the year. So Cal is a great place but it's only for those who are successful. Too expensive for slackers.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
I hope y'all keep on moving out. Go to Oregon where it rains 7 months of the year. So Cal is a great place but it's only for those who are successful. Too expensive for slackers.
"Great" is mostly relative. Does OC have great weather? Yes, perhaps the best. Great variety of things to do? Yes. Great job market? Yes. Great beaches (when they aren't crowded)? Yes. The rest is up for debate. It's all about weighing what you value against the real or perceived pros and cons of where you live.
Attached Thumbnails
Here are the reasons why people leave OC and SoCal-my_kitchen_view.jpg  

Old 03-16-2017, 01:53 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
People leaving OC and California is, in my estimation, driven by one factor: housing prices.

Yes, there are surely anecdotal cases of people who are truly motivated to leave because of gun laws, or a liberal state government, or vaccinations. But, that is just a tiny handful of people. relative to the thousands that leave simply because it's too hard to afford a nice house to raise a family in.

A lot of people either flat-out can't afford a house in OC, or would have to have both parents working, or working multiple jobs -- all to afford a so-so house (relative to what you can get elsewhere).

To make a better life for themselves and their kids, they move where they can own a nice house, and work less hard to afford it. I believe it's that simple.

If I snapped my fingers and the median 3/2 house with a yard in OC cost $300,000 -- you know what would happen? People would be flooding into OC, and only a small handful of people would be leaving. If the median house in OC cost the same as the median house in Dallas or Oregon or Las Vegas -- people would not be moving from OC to those places, people would be moving from those places to OC.

It's not about gun laws or vaccination laws or liberal state politics. It's about housing prices and the inability to for most people afford a decent house in a decent neighborhood.

bottom line? market forces if it were cheaper, the population of CA might be 100m by now

Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
There are plenty of households with more than 1 low income family. Also, have you see the camps off the 57? Looks like skid row in LA. But CA is boomin I tells ya.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM

661 posts, read 832,814 times
Default Bend, Boise, and Surprise, AZ

They blame all their problems on California transplants, some problems like crime go up with increased population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a333 View Post
From that article, Bend, Boise, and Surprise, AZ do not want Californians.

The irony.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 PM

661 posts, read 832,814 times
Default Thousands of former Californians in Oregon. Most regret the move

Not all, some love the new life with lower crime rates less traffic etc etc.

What I have seen is some go out of state, live a better life save and invest vs spending all their money on a mortgage like Californians do. Not living paycheck to paycheck, less stress = a longer life in most cases.

Example: Had a client (I am a Broker) moved out of CA State paid cash for a home outside Boise. Uses all the extra money and invested in rentals that cash flow much better than any home in California would and is now looking to purchase an Ocean view vacation home in California just to visit family, again all Cash. They are doing great financially, much better than they could ever do in CA putting all their eggs in the basket of a mortgage payment. They did this in a short time too, 6-7 years, in CA many in OC struggle to pay the mortgage, I was a Loan Officer for a Orange County Bank and I can attest most borrowers maxing out on their debt to income in OC, that's no way to live.

Not to mention some area like Austin, Bend and Boise see percentage increases in home values about on par with California cities according to Zillow, they are growing like hotcakes.

Quote:
Thousands of former Californians in Oregon. Most regret the move. They are not welcomed by locals who despise Californians. Most of all they can't tolerate the nasty weather. So Cal's weather is the best in the nation. Yes it's expensive. That means you have to be motivated and intelligent to survive. Lots of places are cheap. All for a reason. The road out of So Cal is a 1 way street. Once you leave, you'll likely never be able to afford coming back.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
Except liberal politics and housing prices are inextricably intertwined:

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/

....cities are increasingly home to high-rollers who can pay the high rents or down payments and lower income people who qualify for subsidized housing.

The intractability of the middle class’ affordable housing problem stems largely from strict zoning laws that restrict building new housing, and the not-in-my-backyard mindsets of homeowners who oppose affordable housing initiatives.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/year-h...ities-anymore/

.....this modern-day program of class warfare is carried out under the banner of green politics....

The green gentry today often refer not to sentiment but science — notably climate change — to advance their agenda. But their effect on the lower orders is much the same. Particularly damaging are steps to impose mandates for renewable energy that have made electricity prices in California among the highest in the nation and others that make building the single-family housing preferred by most Californians either impossible or, anywhere remotely close to the coast, absurdly expensive.

Fixing California: The Green Gentry

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-17-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Except liberal politics and housing prices are inextricably intertwined:

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/

....cities are increasingly home to high-rollers who can pay the high rents or down payments and lower income people who qualify for subsidized housing.

The intractability of the middle class’ affordable housing problem stems largely from strict zoning laws that restrict building new housing, and the not-in-my-backyard mindsets of homeowners who oppose affordable housing initiatives.

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/year-h...ities-anymore/

.....this modern-day program of class warfare is carried out under the banner of green politics....

The green gentry today often refer not to sentiment but science — notably climate change — to advance their agenda. But their effect on the lower orders is much the same. Particularly damaging are steps to impose mandates for renewable energy that have made electricity prices in California among the highest in the nation and others that make building the single-family housing preferred by most Californians either impossible or, anywhere remotely close to the coast, absurdly expensive.

Fixing California: The Green Gentry
It really is a pity I can't rep you again! Let me know if you're ever in the OC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County