Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 AM

1,134 posts, read 405,005 times

Advertisements

You can definitely save some money by looking farther inland from the beaches. But there some considerations depending just how far inland you go. I've lived in the Eastern part of LA county, pretty close to the San Bernardino county line. Been through Riverside county lots of times when I was up there. It's more of a desert climate, very hot in the Summer and it can also get pretty smoggy.

When there are fires those areas tend to fill up with smoke for days, it can be pretty bad depending on the wind direction. You get no ocean breeze up there.

That's one reason I mentioned the tight budget is worth it for me, at least for now. It's nice near the beaches. For example the temp forecast tomorrow where I used to live is 104. Forty miles away.Tomorrow in Huntington beach it's 80. For the most part it's a very mild climate near the beach all year around.

People have different priorities, some places suit certain people better than other places. Even if it means scrimping some on the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker2 View Post
Zimmyzees: thank you for your input. This is why I ask... as far as income the numbers provided are what we currently bring in here in the midwest where the cost of living is much lower as is the wages ( median income average here per household is $40,000 ). Seeing that most jobs should pay more in high cost of living regions I would assume we all would make much more.
You would think so; it seems logical, but is actually not the case. There are more high-end jobs here in SoCal than most places and they pay more (sometimes much more), but low-end jobs pay about the same as low-end jobs anywhere. Frankly, folks who are middle-income and lower are being priced out and are moving elsewhere in large numbers.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
Quote:
Seeing that most jobs should pay more in high cost of living regions I would assume we all would make much more. As far a struggle to survive...I would think that would have to do with ones lifestyle as well.
Salaries can be higher for people with a college degree / high paying skill set. There are a lot of people in technology, real estate, consulting, medicine, biotech etc... that make a lot of money. The median income is $76,509 for a household in Orange County, CA. 38% of households make more than $100,000 per year and can be pretty comfortable. On the other end, 22.5% of households make less than $35,000 per year and are struggling pay check to pay check. These people have jobs that do not pay more than they would anywhere else in the country. Target doesn't pay more than they have to by law when you live in CA vs. Texas.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:00 AM

16 posts, read 24,236 times
Revising one of my questions:
As a hairstylist im confused, I assume I would make more money there. But I see conflicting information for most of the jobs start pay At 20k - 40k yr. some say 4K a month. How true are those projections? I'm trying to figure out a more true budget.
I have been a stylist for 15yrs., Ive taught cosmetology at a local college in past years.
I be looking to for a salon to build clientele, a place that stays on top of their game/education. Currently, I have built myself to work in a high end salon. Any advice on annual income as a stylist? If I live in Huntington what are some areas I should be looking for salons? Living? Commute?

Old 07-07-2017, 09:38 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
Quote:
Revising one of my questions:
As a hairstylist im confused, I assume I would make more money there. But I see conflicting information for most of the jobs start pay At 20k - 40k yr. some say 4K a month. How true are those projections? I'm trying to figure out a more true budget.
I have been a stylist for 15yrs., Ive taught cosmetology at a local college in past years.
I be looking to for a salon to build clientele, a place that stays on top of their game/education. Currently, I have built myself to work in a high end salon. Any advice on annual income as a stylist? If I live in Huntington what are some areas I should be looking for salons? Living? Commute?
In a profession where you build your own network, it really all depends on you and how well you build a clientele in OC. It is just like a real estate agent. Some make $25,000 per year and some make $2 million per year. It really depends on how well you get consistent clients, so your salary will likely be a range from $20k to $50k. You'll probably make the most serving clients in the Newport Beach and Laguna Beach area if you can get into a salon there.

Also, you should make sure your license in Illinois will transfer to California without needing additional education / instructional time. CA requires 1,600 hours.

Frequently Asked Questions - California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology

Old 07-07-2017, 09:41 AM

101 posts, read 139,935 times
But it doesn't work that way. I'm an attorney at BigLaw and before we moved here, I did my research and found attorneys are paid less than they are in Texas and Texas is SO much cheaper than here. So don't assume the pay is higher here--there are way too many poeple here needing work and willing to do it for so much less that it keeps pay low. Frankly, as enticing as a move to the beach cities including HB seems, I would not put myself and my family through the hardship. Based on your numbers, you will not enjoy living here and will be struggling--it's not worth the constant anxiety and risk of heartattack. My husband and I are both professionals and make a very good living (by Texas standards), and I still feel anxious about the expense here (I am super frugal and like to save all of our income, so I have a different sickness than most people). The minimum salary for a family of 4 would be around $150k before I would consider advising them to consider moving to OC. And that's stretching it!!!! State income tax eats into your income. With $150k/year, I doubt there will be a penny left to save for retirement. You have to consider extra cost of utilities here--water and electricity is SO much more expensive here. Gas is expensive here. You'll have to pay for parking when you go to the beach (so even that wouldn't be free). We live once and to rough it and be consistently nervous about making ends meet and not live the quality of life we're able to elsewhere would be a shame.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:48 AM

16 posts, read 24,236 times
Farink: that makes a lot of sense!

CLT4: Agree

BlueRacer: thank you for putting that in perspective . I never would've thought of the climate drastic climate changes!!

Saibot: appreciate your input !!!

You all have been very helpful - thank you

Old 07-08-2017, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,830 times
We moved here from Iowa 5 years ago, landed in HB and love it. We looked inland. With all those lanes on the 91, how bad could it be??? Commute inland would have been over hour to get to my work in Tustin and 90+ minutes home. Plus, as others have said, smog is worse and it really is much much hotter. With paid off cars and limited payments the key challenge is housing cost as you have noted. Once you can swing that, the beach is great and free. For housing did you see the manufactured homes area off of Newland? My wife has a friend there, they love it's location and are happy with the neighbors and safety. There are rentals and units for sale there. Here is an example....21851 Newland St
Huntington Beach, CA 92646

Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I don't get the fascination with living "at the beach".

I can tell you that with your income you will be struggling.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't get the fascination with living "at the beach".

I can tell you that with your income you will be struggling.
Mainly cooler weather and easy access to the beach when you want to go. When most people in other States think of CA they are mostly thinking of SoCal at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County