Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about an Orange County Blvd.?
I think its a great idea, and support "Harbor" changing to Orange County Blvd. 0 0%
I think its a great idea, and support "Edinger/Irvine Center/Moulton/Golven Lantern" changing to Orange County Blvd. 6 30.00%
I think its a great idea, but support another street changing to Orange County Blvd. 1 5.00%
I do not support the idea 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times

Advertisements

Changing street names that have been used for decades is something that government officials who have their priorities backwards might be thinking about. I would prefer our local officials to keep their focus on things like public safety, wise use of tax money, education, etc. Many street names reflect something significant or historic from the past. Other street names have a geographical tie or alphamumeric sequence. Tossing out those street names would be like tossing out history, geography or logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 AM

70 posts, read 280,260 times
What a great idea! I hope this passes.

You are probably using the wrong place to conduct a poll like this, the people here are so negative and cranky and are anti-progress.

I say, if you want to keep the LA association, move to that hell hole-of-a-county.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 AM

489 posts, read 1,914,878 times
Where would you suggest a poll regarding Orange County be placed?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That would make more sense but MacArthur is named after Douglas MacArthur
Who was a significant Army General during WW2, received the Medal of Honor, I think we should leave that one too:

Douglas MacArthur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i realize that, which illustrates the difficulty with doing this

Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,576,464 times
That would be pretty cool. A lot of the awesome cities or areas have a Street named assigned a BLVD and I would like to see a city/cities in OC have the same.Just don't change Harbor Blvd to Orange County Blvd.IDK why but I love that name.Weird I know.But I can also see the new Disneyland Address.My choices would be Brookhurst,Ball or Euclid.Is there such an idea of them adding the name or something?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM

72 posts, read 261,576 times
From what I can tell, the name change would be beneficial. The stores and places along the street would probably be better looking because it would attract a higher rent (to have a business on Orange County Blvd. would be the epitome of the county and business owners). It would get rid of the nasty stores that line both streets now because they would be bought out by high bidders wanting property on the street. Plus, I think Golden Lantern/Moulton/Irvine Center/Edinger runs through 12 county cities, the most of any street in the county. It also passes 6 city halls and touches the coast twice (both in north county and south county) and touches all major freeways except for the 5.

I think its course best represents the county. It runs through poorer areas, cullturally diverse areas, hilly areas, flat areas, inland areas, coastal areas, ritzy areas, open areas, and built out areas. It completely represents the county. The problem: it doesnt touch Disneyland.

Its a tough choice. I can see the board of supervisors wanting the street that Disneyland faces to be named Orange County Blvd., but the course of Harbor from La Habra to Costa Mesa is, well rather dull.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 PM

On another note, I dont think that the argument that it will be expensive to change is valid. It costs a county $26 to change the nameplate in a intersection light. It costs between $30 and $65 to change a intersection street sign at minor intersections (in residential areas). It will cost $5000 max for the county. Businesses will be responsable for changing letterhead, not the taxpayers.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-jenkins View Post
Businesses will be responsable for changing letterhead, not the taxpayers.
Oh, well as long as its only businesses having to spend money on some stupid BS the government forces on them, I guess its OK.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Oh, well as long as its only businesses having to spend money on some stupid BS the government forces on them, I guess its OK.
Listen. I dont know one business owner that would mind changing their letterhead to own a business on ORANGE COUNTY BLVD.!!! If they do, then they are probably in a nasty store that is bringing the area down and should leave anyway if its too much for them. Its like asking businesses in Costa Mesa if they would mind changing to Newport Beach addresses. I doubt they would complain. Same idea.

And you act like its such a traumatic event for a business. They go through business cards every couple of months anyway, they would probably just change that kind of thing when they run out of the old stuff and have to buy new stuff anyway. Things like fliers, ads, etc, are usually printed monthly, or even weekly. Those are easy to change from publication to publication. And the things they print in store are printed daily. All their costs would be centered around changing the physical logo to reflect their new address. I dont see the MASSIVE costs that will put these companies in bankruptcy that you speak of. Please, give me some other things that would be thousands of dollars to fix as a result of a business having th change their address from Edinger to OC BLVD.

Last edited by bob-jenkins; 03-24-2008 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Wouldn't you have to get every city to agree on the street name change on the Edinger all the way to Golden Lantern route? I thought a road name change is not a county decision and what if one city in the middle doesn't agree? So it will be Orange County Blvd.....Irvine Center.... Orange County Blvd. again..... sort of confusing if you ask me. For example, I don't think Laguna Niguel will change. The city wanted to change Golden Lantern to "Laguna Niguel Rd." or something and residents got pretty angry and something like 80% of residents said no so the city dropped the idea. I don't think Laguna Niguel will change for a "Orange County Blvd." either.

This might work on a short stretch of road in one city, but trying to get a huge stretch of road through several cities to all have one name could be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County