Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 04:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 05:04 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E R View Post
Care to expand on this and give some examples?
except for Westminster and Garden Grove, people live where they can afford.

if you have 3M+, then you may choose to live along the coast like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach

if you have 1M-3M and have horses, then you may prefer to buy at Coto de Caza, Villa Park, Orange Hills, Anaheim Hills

if you are retired and want the company of your fellow retirees, then Laguna Niguel is for you

Old 11-28-2018, 05:51 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E R View Post
Care to expand on this and give some examples?
Just read a few posts about cities in just OC.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM

138 posts, read 118,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In other words CA is not diverse, it is self segregating.
The whole world is that way. People tend to feel comfortable with people like themselves. It's pretty much only the government universities, the media, and maybe some other organizations that push diversity as "our greatest strength". Neighborhoods, schools, churches, prison populations (Hispanics hang with Hispanics, blacks with blacks, whites with whites), social and dance clubs, etc are generally fairly homogeneous. People tend to marry people like themselves. It's tribal nature.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 PM

45 posts, read 54,297 times
As far as I am concerned California as a whole is becoming segregated. If you live within 100 miles of the ocean you tend to be better off. If you live 100 miles or more inland, folks tend to be eeking out a living. Which means the rich live near the water and the poor live further away from it. Middle class is being squeezed out so "The Tale of 2 Cities" will not be that far fetched in the future.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonestar View Post
As far as I am concerned California as a whole is becoming segregated. If you live within 100 miles of the ocean you tend to be better off. If you live 100 miles or more inland, folks tend to be eeking out a living. Which means the rich live near the water and the poor live further away from it. Middle class is being squeezed out so "The Tale of 2 Cities" will not be that far fetched in the future.
Those are the choices they've made. People choose to live in the most expensive 2% of the US. They chose not to live in PHX, Dallas, Houston, Birmingham, Minneapolis, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Huntsville, Nashville, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids....etc, where there are much cheaper homes and well funded schools and less traffic and lots of jobs.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,701,053 times
Born and raised in OC through high school. I found school assignment to be one of the most self-segregating things. When the school district redid the boundaries in my part of OC, people lost their mind. Lots of protests and anger a majority Hispanic apartment complex would be included in the school boundary. It was the talk of town and lots of slurs were used. A year into reassignment the dust settled and people moved on, but several families purposely moved before the school year started to avoid going to school with the apartments.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
When the school district redid the boundaries in my part of OC, people lost their mind.
The Mission Viejo High School Boundaries are actually disjointed. There's one region basically around the high school, then there's a separate region northeast up near Dove Canyon (????I think, I forgot exactly).

Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I have no issue with Vietnamese people. However, living in a community that is based on relatively recent arrivals, with English not being spoken, with foods and cultural practices with which they are unfamiliar, and seeing businesses that cater to one ethnic group, I can see why many whites moved from those areas and understand how alienated many of them must have felt.
I can't understand why they would feel so "alienated". I spent my childhood living in various ethnic neighborhoods, and they usually weren't the same ethnicity as I was. As a result I learned a little spanglish, some italian and even some chinese, I never thought of it as a bad thing.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I can't understand why they would feel so "alienated". I spent my childhood living in various ethnic neighborhoods, and they usually weren't the same ethnicity as I was. As a result I learned a little spanglish, some italian and even some chinese, I never thought of it as a bad thing.
Living in a truly diverse neighborhood is not a bad thing as you point out. However that is rare as so many people from other Countries are coming into CA (and other States) and looking for a place to live by their own ethnicity. While this occurred in a smaller scale in the past with groups like Italians, etc, the numbers now are much larger and less incentive to integrate exists. Then the Hispanic population has expanded to being the majority in CA so that impacts the overall issue, though many do integrate in later generations. True integration would require massive inter marriage not just living near different ethnicity. This is what happened with the US in the past. Very few full blooded Italians, Germans, French, English,Spanish and to some degree Hispanics who have been in the US for multiple generations, etc., exist now as they intermarried. Will that continue or will it begin to change due to the reality that some areas are so segregated by ethnicity they will no longer feel a need to integrate as they have enough of their own around them that it isn't felt necessary or even desirable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County