Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 12:15 PM

10 posts, read 15,085 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated. Looks like I might be living in Orange County (open to suggestions, but probably the Tustin/Irvine area) with a job in the Adelanto/Victorville area. My commute would be during normal commuting hours. It seems like this would be against traffic, but it's obviously far geographically.
Could anyone shed some light on what this commute might be like? Has anyone done it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 05:33 PM

1,462 posts, read 972,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato23potato View Post
Hi all,

Any help would be appreciated. Looks like I might be living in Orange County (open to suggestions, but probably the Tustin/Irvine area) with a job in the Adelanto/Victorville area. My commute would be during normal commuting hours. It seems like this would be against traffic, but it's obviously far geographically.
Could anyone shed some light on what this commute might be like? Has anyone done it?

Thanks
You'll quit the job after 2 weeks of that commute!

Joking aside, not knowing exactly in Irvine/Tustin or Adelanto/Victorville, that is about an 80-90 mile trip ONE WAY! Without taking the toll roads, Google maps puts it around 2 hours at 4:30PM from Adelanto to Irvine. So that is 4 hours each day in the car. I would recommend to live somewhere closer to the work than OC.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:47 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Ah, no. Just no. Don't even consider it! Even with the currently light traffic, that's just too far to drive every day. Your address might be in Orange County but you won't be spending much time there to enjoy it.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:57 PM

10 posts, read 15,085 times
Thanks for the responses so far. How much are Covid-traffic times affecting Google Maps?

It seems like Irvine to Victorville would be a reverse commute and Google puts it at about 1:15ish. If we did, say, Yorba Linda to Victorville, Google has it at a few minutes over an hour.

I could definitely do a commute like that, but I have no idea if these are realistic or Covid-adjusted.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:21 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Google maps shows real time. What you are seeing is current traffic conditions. And right now traffic is extra light (Covid); in normal times, it's different.

For example, we live in Rancho Santa Margarita and my husband works in Fullerton. That's just about 30 miles. Right now, he can make it in 30-35 minutes. In normal times, it's a minimum of 45 minutes. That's when traffic is normal but light. If there's an accident or traffic is unusually heavy for some reason, it can take an hour or even more.

Yorba Linda to Victorville is about 73 miles. Right now, that could take an hour and ten minutes. In normal times, add an extra 50%. That would be more like an hour forty-five or two hours. If it were not a reverse commute, it would be worse--going from OC out the 91 and up the 15 during rush hours is not for the faint of heart.

I do have to say I am loving the light traffic right now. It is just about the only good thing to come from Covid. Yesterday, we made it from Santa Barbara to South OC in two hours, which is a dream come true.

Last edited by saibot; 08-17-2020 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 08:54 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
I punched the same stats into google maps, and 1:15 is the optimistic estimate. 1:40 is the pessimistic estimate.

Sending the rest of my reply as a PM.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:24 PM

162 posts, read 231,540 times
I used to know a guy who would commute from Pomona to Irvine, which is a comparable haul to yours, and he was absolutely miserable.

Also there really isn't an "against the traffic" when you're talking about the 55/91 interchange. Even on weekends you can't get through in a decent amount of time. Of course you could always take the toll road, but even still your commute will be horrid, only now you'll be paying for it too.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:20 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
If the job in Victorville is that good, that is where you need to live. It’s a lot cheaper than OC anyway.

It’s a big area with around 350,000 people between Victorville, Adelanto, Hesperia, and Apple Valley. Kinda boring and super hot in the summer, but if the jobs worth it......

Old 08-23-2020, 09:27 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If the job in Victorville is that good, that is where you need to live. It’s a lot cheaper than OC anyway.
I agree. The commute would be more awful than you are imagining.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potato23potato View Post
Hi all,

Thanks
That’s a eighty mile drive. ONE way.

I drive one way into LA at 65 miles. I seriously suggest you move at least to Corona Eastvale Chino Rancho Cucamonga. You’ll be against traffic but it’s still a 80 mile drive if you’re in Tustin. You’ll be doing a oil change every 4/5 weeks. You’ll be buying tires every 1.5 years
IF you can live closer it would ge better for you. The drive may be slightly better as you are going against traffic.....HOWEVER the traffic on 395 is a killer as it’s a one later with passing lane and there is always road repair through Adelanto.

You need to have audio books or YouTube ted talks or anything because the drives will suck.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-23-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County