Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

There are parts of Santa Ana that are nice to live, but the majority of the city is a latino barrio. If you're not Hispanic, I wouldn't recommend living there, just because they are such a hugh portion of the population in Santa Ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:14 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
you ask for advice but there really isnt much advice. you are both choosing to work in places on the opposite end of the LA basin. you may be able to get by in the LA area or the irvine area using metrolink for one person, but without knowing specifics it may be too far to travel from the train station or not have adequate bus routes

Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 31,856 times
Default what's a good inland city?

What is a good, livable inland city north of newport beach to live in that is close to a freeway?

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
on the 55:
santa ana in that area is fine
tustin is a good family city
orange north of that is more affordable
anaheim hills is more upscale family living
on the 5:
santa ana in that area is hit or miss, gets better the farther north towards the 22.
anaheim and orange are okay in that area
eventually you run into fullerton, but thats a bit of a hike

Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,977 times
I commuted from Redondo to Irvine for a year before moving to Aliso Viejo. I lived in the village in RB so it would take about 20 minutes just to get to the 110 or 405. The total commute was around 50 minutes if I left RB by 6am and averaged maybe 1hr 15min if I left later. The 405 gets very slow from Bolsa down to the 55 around 7am. Northbound from Irvine after 7pm and you have an hour or slightly less. Frankly, it was not all that bad since I would leave early around 6am and come back around 7pm. It would have been much worse if I had tried to commute during rush hour.

Even AV to Irvine is 20 minutes so on the one hand an extra 30 to live in RB is not so bad if you can avoid the rush. However, even an hour commute one way means you are sitting on the 405 10 hours a week and that is a lot of lost time. I suggest trying the commute for several days before you have to commit.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 31,856 times
Default Thanks!

Great advice, Kona! Thank you. I am seeing that the junior members on here give great advice whereas the senior members just want to say that "the commute is bad." We have no choice but to be split working in Newport Beach and Laurel Canyon PERIOD. Thanks again to all who gave real advice!!! Greatly appreciated....

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona93 View Post
I commuted from Redondo to Irvine for a year before moving to Aliso Viejo. I lived in the village in RB so it would take about 20 minutes just to get to the 110 or 405. The total commute was around 50 minutes if I left RB by 6am and averaged maybe 1hr 15min if I left later. The 405 gets very slow from Bolsa down to the 55 around 7am. Northbound from Irvine after 7pm and you have an hour or slightly less. Frankly, it was not all that bad since I would leave early around 6am and come back around 7pm. It would have been much worse if I had tried to commute during rush hour.

Even AV to Irvine is 20 minutes so on the one hand an extra 30 to live in RB is not so bad if you can avoid the rush. However, even an hour commute one way means you are sitting on the 405 10 hours a week and that is a lot of lost time. I suggest trying the commute for several days before you have to commit.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:42 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,741 times
This is certainly a difficult commute. I would recommend you stay closer to LA County because the commute will be much worse going from orange county to LA in the morning. Coming southbound to OC in the morning is still bad but a little bit better. You should try to stay near a metro stop. There are a number of metro rail lines in the LA area and Laurel Cayon has a stop. Your wife could take the metro and you drive to Newport. Your wife's commute by car is really bad, I cannot stress that enough. Take the metro. That is my two cents. If you need any more help, please reply!

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/rail_map.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County