Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
You live in a fairy tale where White people can live in an all-Black area.
Really? Show me where there is a law saying "Whites can't live in Black areas"? Show me a law.

There is a difference between having "not allowed by law" vs "not safe to live there". There is a big difference. I feel it isn't safe for me to live in certain parts of rural Kentucky. However, I am allowed to live there, according to the law. Same goes for a White person. There is NO LAW saying a White person can't buy a house in an all-Black area. None. People have the right to live anywhere they want. I live in a fairy tale? Please prove it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The irony is if whitey moves into an all black area, its no longer an all black area.

And I know plenty of whites that live in black neighborhoods.
In addition, consider this. Harlem used to be majority Black. It isn't majority Black anymore. Whites and Hispanics have moved into that neighborhood. And there is a part of Portland, Oregon, that used to be majority Black. Now, Whites have moved to that area.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
I don't buy your story, it's just another thread promoting white guilt. Is it not enough with the massmedia brainwash?
Why don't they cover things like this?
The crime where 4 White people murdered two Black guys in Illinois didn't go into national news either. I didn't even hear about it until months after it happened. Bail was even set for those criminals.

Just because you don't "buy" the OP's story does not mean it did not happen. I think by saying that, it just shows a level of callousness.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM

I checked for some data. HB has about 1,813 Blacks in the whole city. Considering its size, that isn't alot. However, to say HB is a sundown town, well, by law it is not. Will a Black person experience racism there? Yes.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Will a Black person experience racism there? Yes.
Will? Not normally. May? Yes. People may experience hate anywhere.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:32 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I checked for some data. HB has about 1,813 Blacks in the whole city. Considering its size, that isn't alot. However, to say HB is a sundown town, well, by law it is not. Will a Black person experience racism there? Yes.
Your argument is full of logical fallacies. People would to well to think through things before they make arguments.

First, let's start with your propositional fallacy: If A, then B. There is no nexus between having only 1,813 blacks in a given city and racism against blacks in that same city. You quoted the supposed number of black persons in support of your contention that this proves racism there. However, the numbers prove nothing of the sort for you. In fact, it is also a false attribution in that the number of any number persons of a given race is irrelevant to whether or not that group will experience racism in a place.

It is also an incomplete comparison as the source fails to take into account historical numbers of blacks in that city which undoubtedly was far lower earlier.

Next, the fact that so many blacks live there now, and the fact that there have been, to my knowledge, no recent incidences documented in the last decades, firmly places the onus on you to prove up the theory that a black person will experience racism in HB. You have failed to do this with your irrelevant the citation of the number of blacks in HB which actually undermines your argument.

Your argument is also faulty since it is a call to emotion based on past racism which, we all agree was abhorent and shameful, but continuing to cite it in perpetuity raises it to the level of a logical fallacy. Also closely related, your argument fails as a argumentum ad antiquitam, since you appear to consider it "tradition" that HB has racism while discounting the fact that OC, and the United States, has changed dramatically in the last decades.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 04-22-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Your argument is full of logical fallacies. People would to well to think through things before they make arguments.

First, let's start with your propositional fallacy: If A, then B. There is no nexus between having only 1,813 blacks in a given city and racism against blacks in that same city. You quoted the supposed number of black persons in support of your contention that this proves racism there. However, the numbers prove nothing of the sort for you. In fact, it is also a false attribution in that the number of any number persons of a given race is irrelevant to whether or not that group will experience racism in a place.

It is also an incomplete comparison as the source fails to take into account historical numbers of blacks in that city which undoubtedly was far lower earlier.

Next, the fact that so many blacks live there now, and the fact that there have been, to my knowledge, no recent incidences documented in the last decades, firmly places the onus on you to prove up the theory that a black person will experience racism in HB. You have failed to do this with your irrelevant the citation of the number of blacks in HB which actually undermines your argument.

Your argument is also faulty since it is a call to emotion based on past racism which, we all agree was abhorent and shameful, but continuing to cite it in perpetuity raises it to the level of a logical fallacy. Also closely related, your argument fails as a argumentum ad antiquitam, since you appear to consider it "tradition" that HB has racism while discounting the fact that OC, and the United States, has changed dramatically in the last decades.

Here is where the argument falls apart. The OP asked if HB was a possible sundown. I looked up the statistic and found that there were 1,813 Blacks in HB. I said it was a small population, however, the fact that there are Blacks living there would suggest that HB is NOT a sundown town. What I am seeing out of the presented argument is a strawman. My point was that a sundown town is a place where racial minorities are not allowed to live there by law. HB does not fit that description because there are racial minorities of every ethnicity living there.

Now, based on the stories I have heard about racial profiling and racial incidents in HB, it shows that a Black person could experience racism in HB. This is based on incidents that have been stated.

And something else. Please show me where I considered it "tradition" for HB to be racist?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:40 AM

67 posts, read 97,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

^^^ this post is called "linguistical gymnastics in a pathetic attempt to hide the fact that hb is racist as hell".

that's great you discovered a logical fallacy chart, thanks for regurgitating that garbage verbatim. that doesn't change the facts.

there are 194k citizens in huntington beach and only 1,834 are african american. that's less than 1%, far below any other area i've ever heard of (virtually all coastal communities are at least 2% black). there's no way there isn't massive collusion going on here.

it's sickening to know this goes in 2014, we need to bring this to the attention of civil rights leaders like al sharpton, jesse jackson, the naacp, the media, etc. we need to make some viral videos to post on youtube, i have a lot of contacts who could possibly feature this content on some news channels (especially internet ones).

after we bring sufficient attentino to the issue, we can start a white house petition to have the government investigate the city. there's a suprising lack of diversity in that town and i'm certain law enforcement, politicians, educators, employers, etc. have something to do with it.

we can put together an anonymous forum for whistleblowers and invite those who have been violated to share their experiences.

we have no tolerance for intolerance. no justice, no peace!

Last edited by ghettoivory; 04-23-2014 at 04:51 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoivory View Post
^^^ this post is called "linguistical gymnastics in a pathetic attempt to hide the fact that hb is racist as hell".

that's great you discovered a logical fallacy chart, thanks for regurgitating that garbage verbatim. that doesn't change the facts.

there are 194k citizens in huntington beach and only 1,834 are african american. that's less than 1%, far below any other area i've ever heard of (virtually all coastal communities are at least 2% black). there's no way there isn't massive collusion going on here.

it's sickening to know this goes in 2014, we need to bring this to the attention of civil rights leaders like al sharpton, jesse jackson, the naacp, the media, etc. we need to make some viral videos to post on youtube, i have a lot of contacts who could possibly feature this content on some news channels (especially internet ones).

after we bring sufficient attentino to the issue, we can start a white house petition to have the government investigate the city. there's a suprising lack of diversity in that town and i'm certain law enforcement, politicians, educators, employers, etc. have something to do with it.

we can put together an anonymous forum for whistleblowers and invite those who have been violated to share their experiences.

we have no tolerance for intolerance. no justice, no peace!

Either you are a giant troll, or you really are off your rocker.

In Oregon, yes the entire state, blacks only compromise 1.8%
of the population. Does that mean that Oregon has massive
collusion by people living there to keep blacks out? That's the
most ridiculous theory I've ever heard.

Sorry to say, the fact that blacks are under represented in
coastal communities isn't part of "massive collusion" to keep
blacks out, it's simple economics. Coastal California is an
expensive place to live, the median list price for a house in
Huntington Beach is around $800,000. To even realistically
be able to afford a home there you need to make $200,000
or more. Guess what the percentage of black households
who make $200,000 (or more) is going to be? Yup, right
around 1% (1.5% as of 2011).

Also you're wrong about "virtually all" coastal communities
having at least a 2% black population...

Black Population as percentage of total

OC
San Clemente - 0.6%
Newport Beach - 0.7%
Laguna Beach - 0.8%
Dana Point - 0.9%
Huntington Beach - 1.0%
Seal Beach - 1.2%

LA County
Palos Verdes - 1.2%
Malibu - 1.2%

If anything, Huntington Beach actually has a higher percentage
of blacks than the other OC coastal communities.

So go ahead, call up Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, and
all the other race baiters who make money by riling up the
black demographic into thinking they've been wronged by
everyone else economically, politically, and spiritually. Go make
those "viral youtube videos", contact the white house to have
them "investigate" Huntington Beach. Just know that you are
wasting your time, the time of anyone who actually gets involved,
because you're not addressing anything relevant to the issue
of why blacks are underrepresented in wealthy coastal communities.
You will just prove that you have no understanding of the actual
issue at hand.

"No justice, no peace." What a complete joke and whoring of that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County