Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 AM

70 posts, read 216,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
i'm still wondering how the area around UC Irvine would be wonder if that's too far for the op.

You know, I asked that question a few times, and a few people told me that they thought Irvine too conservative. We will still visit there to check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,057,202 times
UCI is not a liberal school, as many tend to be. It's filled with pre-med, and biological science students who keep to themselves, and since the Irvine Company has master-planned the community surrounding, it is a very beige, quiet, and park-like setting. Not your typical Uni town at all. In fact, if you don't drive past the school, you'd never know it was here. I work at a large law firm in Irvine (MacArthur & Main), and the area is a ghost town after 7pm. Mainly business park after business park, and well manicured residential neighborhoods.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:11 PM

810 posts, read 2,162,494 times
well I reread your original post. not sure how irvine would have advantages for you over Aliso Viejo. let's see you will be retired and do not travel much. don't need much of a nightlife i guessing. also I think south laguna is the gay area of laguna, well the nnightlife or something like that. of course from what i've read the whole city is gay friendly. i wonder how the areas you are suggesting stack up in terms of fire susceptibility?

Old 11-21-2008, 03:13 PM

can't comment on west laguna niguel except to say the drive on a map looks faster to south laguna on google maps also I don't know hw the various places would stack up in terms of # of older gay people
I googled gay-friendly bowling and came up Orange county glbt friendly bowling

http://www.ocbowl.org/
it's a usbc sanctioned handicapped league
the oc and long beach blade
http://www.gayblade.com/

Last edited by vivo; 11-21-2008 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 PM

does irvine have a lot of mormons? I remember someone posting that woodbridge high was 60% mormon. probably not true lol

Old 11-23-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
does irvine have a lot of mormons? I remember someone posting that woodbridge high was 60% mormon. probably not true lol

I'm not sure about that. I did read one story about some of the kids in Irvine forming a Prop 8 protest.

We were also thinking about Seal Beach, although it's a little farther away than we want to be.

If anyone has any insights about Seal Beach, we would welcome them.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

However, unfortunately, I would say the majority here are going to be closed minded, probably rude, and be stand offish of you being gay, especially amongst kids.
I disagree.

Yes, behind your back, the women will all titter and talk about your stereotypical vanity and good looks and how you'd make the perfect husband, and the men will all talk about how (starts with Q rhymes with Steer) you are and how disgusting homos are, and all the while they probably visit ladyboy websites late at night when everyone else is in bed...

But to your face, the people in Orange County, especially coastal, are either going to go overboard to accept you and make sure that no one could possibly accuse them of being bigots, or be very friendly to your face because they lack the moral fibre to look inwards and realize they have no honest reason to hate gays, they just do, because... well mommy and daddy did, and well... people I work with all do.. and well, I mean, doesn't everyone hate gays?

Orange County, California isn't Alabama, 1963 for Christ's sake. I have known plenty of gay men in my life, and none ever complained to me of being ostracized. Give people a little credit.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Our experience in OC was that, as a gay couple, we were tolerated. That's it - meaning no one burned down our house or attacked us. But we did have neighbors who would make little comments to us, or one who would ask me where my "roommate" was, knowing very well that we weren't roommates. We also only knew of only one gay couple, and one lesbian couple anywhere in our neighborhood.

Here in Denver we aren't tolerated, we're accepted. We have many other gay couples in our neighborhood, plenty of gay parents, and the straight couples are so accepting, sometimes I forget I'm gay. Much better environment than OC, IMO.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Our experience in OC was that, as a gay couple, we were tolerated. That's it - meaning no one burned down our house or attacked us. But we did have neighbors who would make little comments to us, or one who would ask me where my "roommate" was, knowing very well that we weren't roommates. We also only knew of only one gay couple, and one lesbian couple anywhere in our neighborhood.

Here in Denver we aren't tolerated, we're accepted. We have many other gay couples in our neighborhood, plenty of gay parents, and the straight couples are so accepting, sometimes I forget I'm gay. Much better environment than OC, IMO.
where did you live in OC where do you think the OP should live ?

Old 11-24-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

What area of OC did you live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County