Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,578 times

Advertisements

I just started renting a room from a lady, we both live in a 2BR unit of a 4-plex. She is my room-mate and collects room rent from me and then pays landlord who is not on premises for both our rents.

I have unfortunately discovered this lady has lied about several aspects of my room rental. I don't trust her anymore, and I no longer feel safe here, and before I leave I don't want her going into my room and perhaps taking or stealing things. Can I change the lock on the door to my room? Not to the entire apartment, of course, just to my room. I did not sign anything before coming here, just gave her security deposit etc.. we never discussed the issue of changing locks, and there is no written rental agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Sure, if its your room alone, why not? Just keep the old lock to reinstall when you leave or turn over the key to the one you bought. Or you could just find another place to live if you're that distrustful of your roommate.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:17 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,467 times
I agree. Change the lock to your room and save the old lock (and key) so you can re-install it when you move out. Since you didn't sign a rental agreement, I hope you won't have problems getting your security deposit back.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,294 times
I am a 27 year old female who is residing with my mother, who has alzheimer's disease, in San Diego County and when I came home this evening from being at the court house all day, I find the locks had been changed by her husband who's being investigated for fraud. (this individual is NOT related to me and its a long, complicated story. He disgusts me.) Luckily, the door was left unlocked so I could get inside the house. My question is, even though I live there, is he allowed to change the locks without telling me and when I am granted the conservatorship over my mother to continue to protect her, what am I allowed to do regarding the house we both live in?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM

378 posts, read 760,618 times
wow, decej, I'm so sorry you're in this situation. You really need to contact a lawyer or an agency that can provide you with legal advice as soon as possible. There must be recourse for you as a resident of the house. I hope you're able to find some help with this matter.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 AM

300 posts, read 1,257,974 times
Yeah- why not? Like PP said, save the old knob-set and reinstall when you leave. There would be almost no way she could keep your deposit from you if you reinstall like you had it, without damaging the door in any way. Especially if you never signed anything....I would do it! Wouldn't hurt to throw some window locks on, too! haha! (You know- the simple twist ones that go in the track).

If she says anything after the fact- just brush it off and tell her of course you would change the lock to the room you rent and make it sound trivial. Don't apologize or ask if its okay, etc. Assure her you will put the old one back on when you leave and leave it at that! If she presses you about it- then you can go into how you didn't sigh anything about not changing the lock and repeat that the old one will go back on when you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County