Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM

44 posts, read 190,796 times

Advertisements

We have put an offer in on a great house in the Sunset/Bennett Ranch area of Lake Forest off of Trabuco and El Torro. It is close enough to Mission Viejo, that it is actually mapped to their schools, which is great.

The only hesitation we have is our own perception about the city of Lake Forest. That it is the poor-man's south orange county. That it has become santa ana-fied. That the city itself is just a bit sketchy. I know it isn't fair to make these broad generalizations of a city that truly has its good parts; the interesting thing is that neither my wife nor I had these perceptions prior to starting our house hunt a few years back.

My question to those of you who live in South Orange County, is this... does Lake Forest have a bad reputation in general? When you hear someone say I'm considering a home purchase in Lake Forest, do images of the negatives come into your mind or is it just another city in South OC that has its good and bad parts? One reason to believe the former is true is that newer communities like Foothill Ranch and Portolla Hills have seemed to distance themselves from their parent city's name. I tend to believe (or would like to believe) the latter and it is just some of our early house hunting neighborhood visits that have us giving the city a bad wrap.

If there is a bad reputation that the city in general needs to squash, I think they've taken some good steps in the rennovation of El Torro and the development of the newer neighborhoods in the hills (like Foothill). I mean how can a city that is surrounded by Irvine, Mission Viejo and Laguna Hills continue to keep a bad reputation when it is very centrally located to jobs and areas of interest in general within this region.

I'd be curious as to anyones thoughts on the reputation of Lake Forest, improvements or declines you've noticed over the years, or just anything about the city in general.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehousehunter View Post

we have is our own perception about the city of Lake Forest.

it is the poor-man's south orange county.
it has become santa ana-fied.
the city itself is just a bit sketchy.

neither my wife nor I had these perceptions prior to starting our house hunt a few years back.
Why do you have these perceptions?

Interesting these questions are being asked after an offer was made. What are you going to do (how are you going to feel) if there are some negative posts about Lake Forest?

What other communities were you considering? Why did you make an offer on a home in a community that you have a negative perception of?

What are the schools like?
When you drive around, how does it look? Do neighbors seem to care?
Do you see any HOA violations?
Does it seem like there are more vacancies in the retail centers?
Is the $/sqft lower than surrounding neighborhoods?
More crime per square mile?
More sex offenders per square mile?
Different elements of retail? Does the retail seem to cater to a particular demographic more than surrounding neighborhoods?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,533,213 times
I don't know the exact development, but I know enough about Lake Forest...

Lake Forest is aging, just like all of us..... Maybe you think it looks old and drabby because it's near the newer towns---Foothill Ranch, Dove Canyon, etc.???? Look at it this way---it's got bigger trees that are going to offer more shade in the summer than newer areas with puny trees....

It used to be called El Toro and people don't want to be reminded......they prefer Lake Forest. Go to the El Toro Meat Market---you will love it! An old fashioned meat (butcher) counter......great, great cuts! Not inexpensive, but the best around!

We have friends who have lived in a very nice home for over 25 years...great backyard..peaceful.....they remodeled about 10 years ago and made it even nicer...they raised their daughters there and they turned out just fine...(they weren't raped, murdered, didn't use drugs, etc)... Their house is near the high school.... They like the activities......there is community involvement by 'the lake' (rec center area)....she plays tennis at the club, she exercises, they do July 4th stuff, there are progressive dinners, she used to participate in craft fairs down at the club, etc.....

There is also a great place named Ren-Wes when you need a new fridge, oven, etc...they beat everybody in price and have great choices.....it's at the northern end... The sales guys aren't aggressive or pushy......they just have good deals and good customer service.....

There is decent shopping....decent restaurants....and you will be near 2 very good hospitals.......and 2 decent malls.....and you won't be that far from The Spectrum...

Years ago, in the areas where they have the eucalyptus trees, they had the beetle problem, but I think it's fixed now...

What are you stressing about? It's a decent family community.....the houses just aren't 'new and shiny' anymore.....

Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
I'm not from south OC, but I have friends that live there in very nice neighborhoods that I couldn't dream of affording and relatives that have retired there in decent condos. The only real downside of Lake Forest is that it is old for an inland south OC city, but still younger than Tustin, similar in age to Mission Viejo, and has much better position for commuting. Also, despite MV getting the accolades for being among the safest cities in the US(or the safest, depending on the year and publication), Lake Forest is generally just a few cities down on the same lists.

Basically, Lake Forest is a nice city. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Thanks, Wurzig.

My husband posted this to convince me there's no point in stressing out. I love, love, love the house we saw in lake forest -- a little bit older but lots of potential --- but not just as convinced about the city, as my first choice is the newer, family-oriented RSM.

After all, I realized that Lake Forest is #10 safest city in the US.

3 O.C. cities among nation's safest | cities, publication, year - News - The Orange County Register

Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

Husband again...

Here are my points that I am using to help validate the, hopefully, pending purchase...
- While the cost of a similar house, similar neighborhood in Lake Forest is higher than that of RSM, in most of LF there isn't mello roos, HOAs are rare, property taxes are lower.
- As I see it, you pay more towards the house rather than the lifestyle while you live in the house.
- RSM, Mission Viejo are more desireable for many people, so could find some hidden gems with less competition.
- The example I gave about the massive rennovation of El Toro Rd just off the 5 freeway tells me that the city itself may be interested in upgrading itself.
- Its central location for commute and south oc living is sure to rub off on the city itself. While this may be wishful thinking, I think it is a smart move to bank on this city while it may be lower on the interest level.

That said, unlike RSM and Mission Viejo, there isn't the ammenities that are great for young families. It does have a lake, but I haven't heard much of that being made available to residents that don't live alongside the lake itself. Does anyone know if this lake is in fact open to any residents of Lake Forest? Is it paid by property taxes rather than a separate HOA or lake fee?

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:09 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
There are some dodgy multi-family sections in the part of Fake Forest that used to be called El Toro, but I wouldn't hesitate to live in the part you're considering.

Well, I would, because I refuse to live under the tyranny of HOAs, but you get my drift.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,255,324 times
I have lived in Irvine and Mission Viejo, and personally have not had a problem with Lake Forest.

My only criticisms with Lake Forest were that there isn't really a reason for anyone to visit the city unless you work there. No major shopping malls, no entertainment attractions. Irvine has the Spectrum, MV has the MV Mall, and of course the Mission Viejo Lake. Lake Forest, has nothing I'd really want to go visit or see.

Also some of the neighborhoods, especially near the 5/405 look pretty ghetto and dodgy. People don't seem to maintain their homes, and it actually does look like Santa Ana in some parts. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for the price, I feel you could do better.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Also some of the neighborhoods, especially near the 5/405 look pretty ghetto and dodgy. People don't seem to maintain their homes, and it actually does look like Santa Ana in some parts. Not necessarily a bad thing, but for the price, I feel you could do better.
Regarding "doing better for the price", you're speaking about the area near the 5/405, correct?

Granted, there are no major malls, but there are large shopping centers like The Orchard, The Arbor and Foothill Ranch Towne Center. Plus, it is so close to the Spectrum, Shops at MV, and Laguna Hills Mall, that it might as well be within the city.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
My only criticisms with Lake Forest were that there isn't really a reason for anyone to visit the city unless you work there. No major shopping malls, no entertainment attractions. Irvine has the Spectrum, MV has the MV Mall, and of course the Mission Viejo Lake. Lake Forest, has nothing I'd really want to go visit or see.
I count that as a plus. Who wants outsiders constantly coming into your neighborhood adding the traffic congestion, noise, and crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County