Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times

Advertisements

When we were looking in Portland I used the JLScott website. What I really liked is that the homes were on a map and included all on the multiple listing service - the largest universe of homes offered for sale. This will include the discount Realtors.

There are homes for sale by owner on Craigslist, I would use that service only for those. As someone mentioned watch out for scam listings. Once the home shopper has focused on an area the smartest move is to use a realtor to see the offerings of interest while keeping an eye out for FSBO signs in the vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 AM

157 posts, read 357,407 times
Is there a shortage of primary care physicians in the Medford Area? When my job transferred me to Kentucky 4 years ago, I had the hardest time finding a primary care doctor, no one was taking on new patients

Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
We are in our 60's and currently live in Kentucky, we want to move back closer to family in Calif. But do not want to move there. We are considering southern Oregon and Central Oregon. Specifically the Grants Pass/Medford Area and the Bend/Redmond area. We would like an area that offers things for Seniors to do, good restaurants, good medical facilities, etc. We are use to the snow living in Kentucky so that is not a deterent, we get plenty of rain here too so we are use to a substantial amount a year. Any suggestions of areas we should consider? Or comments on the ones we are considering? Thanks ALL!
I would strongly suggest the Medford/Grants Pass area for the entertainment. The rest of the state has nothing to match the many professional theater groups in Ashland or the Britt Festival in Jacksonville, and the Rogue is on the national registry of wild and scenic rivers. Grants Pass has a surprising variety of excellent restaurants for a small town. Jacksonville has maintained a western historic theme and has very tight development standards, which makes the town quite picturesque.

Just about anything in the area is within a 30 minute drive. I would recommend renting for up to 6 months while you shop if you plan to buy a house.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Default air quality

In researching different areas, I have run across several references to the air quality in the Medford area. Is this a huge problem? Would air quality be better further north say Roseburg?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM

963 posts, read 3,033,847 times
Quote:
In researching different areas, I have run across several references to the air quality in the Medford area. Is this a huge problem? Would air quality be better further north say Roseburg?
Not really. There is a direct relationship between air movement and air quality. Roseburg, by some accounts, is the most wind-protected city in the U.S. With thousands of cars and a few industrial works spewing hydrocarbons into stagnant air, it's going to get increasingly dirty. The Rogue Valley is quite calm as well. If you want the best air quality, you need to get out of the valleys. The coast or the mountains are the best...but you'll have to put up with more wind.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM

Funny you should mention the coast, I spent yesterday doing some research on both Coos Bay and Brookings. When you are thinking retirement, you just want to settle in in a place you will be happy the remainder of your life, so I want to make the best choice possible. In talking to other seniors, access to good medical a good supply of primecare physicians, things to do, and variety of restaurants seems to be the key points. My sister and brother in law will be making this move from Kentucky too, and although my sister has zeroed in on Medford she does have a history of asthma, has used an inhaler in the past and I'm wondering if Medford would be the best place for them to settle. I intend to share all this data with them. After living in Kentucky for 4 years we would never get my brother in law back IN the state of Ca but he has agreed to move closer so we can visit kids and grandkids more often. We love Kentucky and would stay here if it just wasn't so far from family and flying has become such a expense and hassle these days. Of the states near Calif Oregon is our first choice. Would Coos Bay or Brookings be good retirement choices?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Thanks for the mention of primary physcians. A very good point to consider. Our family is in So Cal. So if we were in Cave Junction, Grants Pass or Medford we COULD do it in one day. A long day but doable. If we go with the Bend area it would go into a 2 day drive. We like the fact there is no sales tax in Oregon and for seniors property taxes can also be defered until your estate is settled.
Does anyone know just how much the average snowfall would be for Redmond?
Bend/Redmond would be a long drive to visit family in S. California, especially in the winter. I know I wouldn't want to do that drive very often. In terms of snow, it can depend on the year. For the most part, there isn't a ton of snow on the ground, especially in Redmond. However, the temperatures can be pretty cold, even in summer. While you are used to snow and cold in Kentucky, you also get a good mix of all 4 seasons there. In Central Oregon, our summer night time temps regularly dip down into the 40s, which feels darn cold when it's in the upper 80s and low 90s during the day.

I have at least two retiree families in my neighborhood that flock south for the winter. It has everything to do with the long periods of cold that we get. Just a consideration....

Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Good point Delta 07. My brother in law also likes to garden and I understand in the Bend Redmond area the growing period is short. I do like the idea of 4 seasons.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Grants Pass is about the same size town as where you are now and probably a bit more like KY too than Medford which may remind a bit more strongly of CA.

If you want a little land but a close in location for easy access to restaurants, hospitals etc. you might look around Rogue River between Medford and Grants Pass. You could also look at Eagle Point.

If you want to be further out, perhaps for better air or other reasons, then maybe Selma and Wolf Creek. Cave Junction is even further out.

Brookings is nice if you love the coast and 78 inches of rain per year and it is enough town for you. 6.000 in the city, 22,000 in the county.

Last edited by NW Crow; 02-04-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 02:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Good point Delta 07. My brother in law also likes to garden and I understand in the Bend Redmond area the growing period is short. I do like the idea of 4 seasons.
I manage to grow a wonderful garden, but it's a lot of work here! I have hoop houses on raised beds, which I end up opening and closing almost every day in the early part of the season (May and early June) and then have to do the same from about mid-August until it snows. There's also always the chance of a frost, even in August (had it last year), so it's something to really consider. It's definitely not for the novice gardener!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon