Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

In my neighborhood we are bothered more by people pushing causes like OSPRAY and the like than evangelicals. Anyone whether it be religious, political, charitable or trying to sell the Oregonian to win points to go to summer camp who rings my doorbell uninvited is a nuisance no matter what the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
In my neighborhood we are bothered more by people pushing causes like OSPRAY and the like than evangelicals. Anyone whether it be religious, political, charitable or trying to sell the Oregonian to win points to go to summer camp who rings my doorbell uninvited is a nuisance no matter what the cause.
I have never heard of OSPRAY, and google doesn't return anything about it. You should feel privileged. I like kids coming around selling stuff to raise money for activities. It gives me a chance to meet neighborhood kids, and I always donate something. "No, I don't want your cookies, but here's 20 bucks for your band trip."

Missionaries are entertaining if I have the time. I like to spend half an hour pointing out all the ways Christianity is a false religion. My wife says I'm just being mean, but I figure if they knock on my door they are fair game. I haven't seen one in 15 years, so maybe I have been blacklisted.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have never heard of OSPRAY, and google doesn't return anything about it. You should feel privileged. I like kids coming around selling stuff to raise money for activities. It gives me a chance to meet neighborhood kids, and I always donate something. "No, I don't want your cookies, but here's 20 bucks for your band trip."

Missionaries are entertaining if I have the time. I like to spend half an hour pointing out all the ways Christianity is a false religion. My wife says I'm just being mean, but I figure if they knock on my door they are fair game. I haven't seen one in 15 years, so maybe I have been blacklisted.

Larry, I got the name wrong. It is OSPRIG. They are a supposedly consumer advocate organization with very aggressive recruiters and solicitors. I did not agree with some of their politics so I did not choose to support them. They kept hounding me until finally I screamed at one of their solicitors who came to my door and slammed the door in her face. I think I scared her sufficiently because they never bothered me again.

For a while we had a lot of people ringing our doorbells in my neighborhood trying to sign people up and collect donations for these types of organizations.

I used to buy stuff from kids for their band trips and whatnot until I got burned by a kid who was allegedly selling wrapping paper to finance school instruments or something like that. He got the money but I never got the paper. Talking to my neighbors, the same thing happened to them. He was a very appealing little con-artist.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,446 times
My 2 cents ... people who have strong identity politics are hard to get along with no matter what side ... I am interested in politics but also a moderate and base my opinions and education about an issue and a pragmatic approach. I thought based on this I would be able to discuss with a wide range of people. Instead, "liberals" tend to accuse me of being a conservative right-winger and "conservatives" tend to accuse me of being an evil liberal. I find intelligence or at least open-mindedness to be more important than political label. So avoid the zealots if you can!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 82,991 times
I had a young gentleman ring my doorbell the other day. He said he was a Jehovah's Witness.

I said "Come in and sit down". I offered him a cup of coffee and asked "What do you want to talk about?"

He said, "Beats the heck out of me, I"ve never gotten this far before."

Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
+ 1

Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Mainstream Christians perhaps, but not evangelicals. They believe they have this "Great Commission" that obliges them to foist their badly misinterpreted view of the Bible on everyone else. The local papers on the coast are full of their rantings in letters to the editor.
The other side of the coin are a myriad of left wingers / liberals who can't really keep their opinions to themselves either. Their thoughts are their beliefs or religion. And they feel obliged to stuff their views in papers.

Actually, most people, liberals, mainstream Christians, moderates, or evangelicals, don't know enough about the bible anyway, to really comment on what is accurate or not. For example, there are over 200 figures of speech used in the bible, with up to 30 or 40 varieties of certain ones. If someone is not somewhat well-versed in, say, 60 - 100 of them, they stand a near 100% chance of mixing-up the literal with figurative. The figures are certainly not exclusive to scripture. They exist in most languages. Wikipedia even lists quite a few, briefly. Few people understand them. Too bad too ... because they are useful, and can be very entertaining.

Figures of speech is a higher level of communication and writing. It's cultural influence on steroids for those who wield phrases.

So it's really a matter of taking each person on their own merits. There are extremists on both ends of the spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar20 View Post
I had a young gentleman ring my doorbell the other day. He said he was a Jehovah's Witness.

I said "Come in and sit down". I offered him a cup of coffee and asked "What do you want to talk about?"

He said, "Beats the heck out of me, I"ve never gotten this far before."
That's amusing.

I don't like their belief system much. But do appreciated their commitment. If they don't knock often, like just once per year, I'll visit with them for a while.

Last edited by mdvaden; 05-07-2011 at 11:44 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 10:17 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Christians tend to think that they are right and everybody should think like them. The more political they are, the more obnoxious they get.
The problem isn't with Christians in general, but modern-day right-wing Christians-in-name-only. You're right about them being obnoxious and political. But they aren't Christians. The Bible defines a Christian, and these folks bear no resemblance to Jesus Christ and his followers (thus, Christians). In fact, these modern folks are more the opposite of the Christians in the Bible, and are more like the people that bothered Jesus and whom he clashed with.

Jesus loved and spent time with the "average folks" (not rich and powerful), and those who where poor. They were real folks who were open about any flaws they had. It was no big deal, they were honest and real, and that's what Jesus wanted. The rich and powerful leaders in the town however, kept harrasing Jesus. They would look down their noses at him and the "average" folks that hung out with them. He constantly had to expose the rich and powerful for their selfish motivations, their hate-filled thoughts and words, and the judgement that they walked around with. I often point out that if Jesus was alive these days, he would be most close to being a moderate Democrat, though I don't think he'd officially align himself with a political party.

I can't fully explain or understand why most churchgoers (I can't call them Christians, because they aren't) these days don't see that, but it's a sign of the times, and a big problem. Stupidity in general is growing in this country, and too much politics and powermongering is going on in churches these days. These folks have infiltrated many churches - and have been for the past 15 years or so - and gotten so much power and authority, that when anyone tries to point out what's going on, the atmosphere already is in place to stamp out any dissention. In the end, the real Christians leave the church. That's what I've done after seeing several churches jump on the Fox (Faux) News bandwagon mentality. I mean, I'd rather stay and try to fix the problem, but it runs so deep that it's practically impossible to make a change now.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-09-2011 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
I firmly believe that it all goes back to a lack of funding in Schools, and watered down curriculum

Old 11-20-2011, 05:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,399 times
Hmmm... well, I moved to Florence about four months ago, and have met some great people who don't push their beliefs on you, but I have also met the other kind of people who do to a greater degree than anywhere else I have lived - and I have lived in seven countries on three continents. My immediate neighbor told me that he was sorry for me because I don't go to church! He also stated that god put people here first, and just added animals as people needed them! I told him we should not discuss religion or politics, but just be good neighbors! Today at the beach I met a woman who first was talking about the great day we were having, then asked what church I went to... I said I am not a church goer, she then said I should go to her church - I said "you are not hearing me... I do not go to church" . Then she asked what my religious beliefs were (of course I should have ended it right then and there). I said I am spiritual, not religious - she then said "you don't believe in the big bang theory do you? Intelligence should tell you there was no such thing - and I suppose you believe in evolution too? To which I said, "of course! And we need to end this right here because we are poles apart on this" to which she said "I will pray for you"!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon