Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM

284 posts, read 499,927 times

Advertisements

Okay, this is going to sound a little silly maybe, but it's been over a decade since I've set foot in the PNW and I'm sure things have changed quite a lot since I've been there last.

My family is from the PNW, mostly Oregon and Washington (grandparents and mom in Oregon, brothers and adult kidlings in Washington), and I want to move back to the home turf from the evil Southeast. I kinda miss the fam.

Also, it's killing me here with the hot, humid summers, blah winters and dinosaur bugs. Have you seen the size of the roaches here???

Anyway, I initially thought of moving to Portland, but it's too urban and hipster for me. I'd like a smaller city with a small town feel to it, that isn't a small town if you get my drift. I've had my fill of small towns (small = anything under ~15K population)

I'm currently in the last semester of my MA in English with TESOL certification. I'd like to find work at a community college or continuing education teaching adults, so finding a city within driving distance of a CC is mandatory. I don't need much in the way of living quarters since it's just me. I usually rent a room or studio, so real estate isn't an issue. I'm flexible with outdoorsy stuff and other distractions. If I can entertain myself in Starkville, MS, I can find entertainment anywhere...

I'm pretty middle of the road politics-wise and pretty much live and let live in any other category (one of the reasons why Portland is out, they're way to in-your-face about their politics and causes).

So, I'm looking at Bend, maybe? Any other suggestions? My aunt used to live in Toledo but it's been eons since I've been anywhere near there. My grandma lives in South Beach, same thing. My grandpa lives up in Hermiston, but man, I don't even remember the last time I was up there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:55 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Here is a list of all the community colleges in Oregon: U.S. Community Colleges, by State

Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Here is a list of all the community colleges in Oregon: U.S. Community Colleges, by State
Actually, here is a much better list that includes cities: List of colleges and universities in Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks, but I'd also like opinions on particular cities for a single woman in her 40's, with middle-of-the-road tendencies who is looking for the small town vibe without actually having to live in a small town.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Thanks, but I'd also like opinions on particular cities for a single woman in her 40's, with middle-of-the-road tendencies who is looking for the small town vibe without actually having to live in a small town.

I think Bend and Corvallis sound about right.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Start applying at colleges in Oregon, and when you get a job you will have found the ideal town for you. There are also neighborhoods in Portland that have a small town vibe, like Multnomah Village.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
In addition to Bend and Corvallis you could look at Salem and Albany. Maybe Astoria (40,000 people in the metro area). Maybe Pendleton and Klamath Falls. As Larry suggested where there are openings and where you got offers will frame things. Newport might be too small given what you said but if part of the motive is to be near family it might be worth considering.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,410 times
Cities and towns that are over 15000 and have community colleges nearby include:

Corvallis/Albany
Roseburg
Grants Pass
Bend
Eugene
Salem
Wilsonville
Oregon City
Gresham

There are other places which have CC's but they are either too big or too small; but since you have family nearby you could consider Newport even at less than 10000 people.

Any of the schools would love to have you and none of them are in a financial position to do much more than wish fondly. Oregon is in terrible economic shape and the budget axe has fallen particularly hard on public education.

I don't want to discourgae you but I'm afraid that's the reality. We need the instructors in a big way but the dollars to fund their salaries and whatnot simply are not there at this time.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I don't want to discourgae you but I'm afraid that's the reality. We need the instructors in a big way but the dollars to fund their salaries and whatnot simply are not there at this time.
It's kinda like that everywhere... But that's okay, I don't need much. If the schools have positions available and the salary is small, I'll take it. I'm not looking for a huge salary, and I'll take part time work. I've been living on the edge of poverty all my life and I know how to do it. It's one of the reasons why I want to teach adults, I know what it's like to start at the bottom and work up. I'm patient. I can wait for this slump to end.

Hell's bells, I've been living on less than $8,000 a year for the past four years. Anything more than that will be heaven. ^_^

Anyway, thanks for the list. I'll start sending out applications today and see if anyone nibbles.

Thanks again.

Oh, do most of these cities have public transportation? I am without a vehicle at this time and don't think I will be able to buy one before moving. That's one of the reasons why I'm considering larger cities. This tiny town does not have public transportation (I know!) and it's nearly impossible to get anywhere around here (two hours to walk to the nearest department store. I got adventurous once.).

Old 10-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Portland (and suburbs), Bend, Eugene, LaGrande all have public transportation. The smaller cities may have some, but it'll be limited. For instance Roseburg has a public bus, but it's part of the entire County and not just the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon