Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 28,451 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, this may be a stupid question, but does it ever get warm enough to go swimming on the Oregon coast? I always see beautiful pictures of the ocean, but never anyone in the water. We are planning a trip to the coast in Mid to late August. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,048 times
You could I suppose if it were a really hot day but for the most part the only folks in the water are surfers. Its pretty cold water here

Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
And those surfers wear wet suits to swim due to the cold water.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
If it gets to 80 or above outside at the coast(which is possible in the summer though rare), it's sort of fun to body surf or take a brief dip. I grew up on the Northern California coast, and we'd go in during the summer occasionally when it got to the upper 70s. But it's like swimming in glacial runoff in Cascade rivers or lakes. You're going in and out pretty quick, unless you have a wetsuit it's not going to be a leisurely swim. It's bone-chilling cold. But if it get's really hot, hey--why not for a second? I love the Oregon Coast when they get a freak heat wave out there... Most of the year however, unless you're a surfer or diver with a wetsuit---most sane people would never want to get in that water.

Funny story though--when I was in college at Southern Oregon we had a lot of Hawaiians. One day in the early fall the weather showed sunny weather and one of the Hawaiians really wanted to go to the coast. Everyone explained that the water would most likely be too cold for much of anything We drove all the way out through an old logging road past Grants Pass over the Coast Range. By the time we got to a beach south of Gold Beach it was a foggy and windy afternoon. The Hawaiian guy, determined to show us that he was deadset about going for a swim, ran straight down the beach and dove straight into the water--got wet in the waves for about twenty seconds, ran out, grabbed a towel still shivering and said in Hawaiian pidgin, "Shoots cuz, that's effin' cold." That was the last time he ever mentioned wanting to go to the beach.

Last edited by Deezus; 07-19-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
You can adapt a bit to the cold by swimming regularly for slightly longer periods of time. This actually causes physiological changes over time; your body becomes more efficient at preserving heat and controlling the flow of blood to areas where it is rapidly cooled.

One thing to remember is that if you mostly keep your head above the water, you will not feel as cold as if you dunk your head under the surf, since the brain and cranium account for a lot of the body's heat "expenditure." Especially if it's windy; the cold water in your hair + the wind = rapid cooling.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 PM

197 posts, read 459,092 times
You can see the temperatures here and check other parts of the Pacific ocean. The temps aren't much different until you get to the southern part near Los Angelos Califonia. US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide You can also move this map around to see the reportinf stations. NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
i grew up in san diego, CA and even there the ocean is too cold for me. i've seen kids and a few folks in the surf when i go to the beaches in OR; i just assume they're from Canada

Old 07-19-2012, 11:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
By "brief dip" they mean less than a minute. There are days when currents bring relatively warm water close to the coast, but generally a 15 minute exposure means you get so hypothermic you can't move and will down. OTOH, with a wet suit or dry suit you can handle reasonably long exposures. People go surfing and scuba diving all the time with the right equipment.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
People go surfing and scuba diving all the time with the right equipment.
Yeah, with a thick 5/4 wetsuit there's guys I know who surf the Oregon Coast year round including times in the winter when it's even practically snowing on the coast. Hardcore surfers are crazy though. With a drysuit--though that's difficult to surf in--you can dive or kayak in really cold water.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 28,451 times
Thank you all for your replies! The Oregon coast is so beautiful, unfortunately so cold! I'm very excited to visit your beautiful state. Thank youRTG143 for the coastal water temperature guide, very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon