Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4nature View Post
Does any body know how many days of sunshine in coos bay oregon
This graph is only approximate as marine fog is very local and not tabulated as sky cover, even though a blanket of fog on a "sunny day" is as gray and gloomy as storm system overcast in winter.

You really have to look at "hours of sunshine" rather than "days of sunshine" as marine conditions are not conducive to days that are consistently sunny from dawn to dusk. When the sun does come out, it's often after a foggy morning that lasts through the noon hour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM

256 posts, read 541,240 times
Bend over Coos Bay easy.

If you want a coastal city I would choose Newport, Waldport or Lincoln City

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
One is Desert, the other Coastal. No simularities.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 17,364 times
Sooo, Not many recent posts...I too am searching for information on the area of Bend/Coos Bay. Daughter is transferring to the area and has two small school aged children. We are coming from a small town in the midwest so I am realistic on what some of that means in terms of employment, drugs, etc...BUT is it still as bad as it was in say 2008? (Last time I was in the area) I am very familiar and comfortable with the Brookings area but my daughter transferring that far south most likely isn't an option as it would mean working in California (most likely) Anyways...How are the schools? What about the drug/meth problems? Im not looking for Utopia but would like them in a community which has decent schools and relative safety. A commute of up to 30-40 minutes isn't an issue and flexible. Im beginning to get confused on areas to 'avoid"...Don't mind the cool/overcast but definitely dont want the high winds I see in some areas either. Can anyone provide some updated information on the area? Has it improved at all? How are medical services/hospitals in the area?
I am looking at her working in the coos bay area but we are considering just about anything South of Portland at this point. Bend? Charelston? Englewood? (I know its slightly inland but maybe lower winds?) ANY input or friendly shoves in the right direction is appreciated!

Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM

The wind is not going to change from year to year. It is nature. The area is much much worse than 2008. How can you work in Coos Bay and consider anything south of Portland? It doesn't make sense. The schools are bad and people with children are trying to get out, not in. Drug and Meth is just as bad. A commute of 30 to 40 minutes limits you to Hauser, Lakeside, Charleston, Eastside, Coquille, and Coos Bay/North Bend. Bend is at least six hours away. I think you are somewhat confused on what the state is like. Englewood is a slum area. Charleston is mixed slum and wealthy. Often side by side. You say she is transferring to Coos Bay but you drift to living all over the state. North Bend gets the worst of the wind.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid~Tears View Post
Sooo, Not many recent posts...I too am searching for information on the area of Bend/Coos Bay. Daughter is transferring to the area and has two small school aged children. We are coming from a small town in the midwest so I am realistic on what some of that means in terms of employment, drugs, etc...BUT is it still as bad as it was in say 2008? (Last time I was in the area) I am very familiar and comfortable with the Brookings area but my daughter transferring that far south most likely isn't an option as it would mean working in California (most likely) Anyways...How are the schools? What about the drug/meth problems? Im not looking for Utopia but would like them in a community which has decent schools and relative safety. A commute of up to 30-40 minutes isn't an issue and flexible. Im beginning to get confused on areas to 'avoid"...Don't mind the cool/overcast but definitely dont want the high winds I see in some areas either. Can anyone provide some updated information on the area? Has it improved at all? How are medical services/hospitals in the area?
I am looking at her working in the coos bay area but we are considering just about anything South of Portland at this point. Bend? Charelston? Englewood? (I know its slightly inland but maybe lower winds?) ANY input or friendly shoves in the right direction is appreciated!
Hm. I know someone who interviewed for teaching jobs down in the area. Was not impressed with Coos Bay, but loved Coquille. Which, as someone a few posts up described, is 17-18 miles inland.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM

My Neice was born and raised in the Coos County area. Her family is all there except for her Brother and my Wife and I. Yet she quit her teaching job in North Bend at the end of the school year, and took a position in Redmond to get away from the area. That should tell you something.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:12 PM

7 posts, read 17,364 times
She has options on location...Coos Bay was a depressed area (from the little I saw-time spent) in 2008. The reason I am all over the board is the options available for towns she could transfer to. Perhaps being flexible in location or trying to get updated/unbiased opinions on more than one community was a mistake as I seem to be ticking Mr. Pickering off. It hasnt been my intention to sound vague...and the communities I mentioned prior? Were just first thoughts that came to mind...Sorry if that offended anyone. Bend, Brookings, Coquille...Maybe Newport or Lincoln city are so far still in the running. She has options to work in Crescent City, CA Eureka Ca, Brookings Oregon or the Coos Bay area...was simply trying to get information on some of the outlying communities that MIGHT be ok to commute to without actually having to live IN coos bay, etc. Thank you for taking the time to reply

Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM

With kids, none are a good choice unless you are a conservative with strong family discipline and kids who can make their own fun and are self starters.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,740 times
Avoid Astoria all together. Nothing here. Very negative people here. 2% negative growth rate for economy. 1,400 people have moved from here in the past 4 years. It is shrinking and there a lot of empty houses here that are way overpriced. Newport is about the best you can do in Oregon. You have the beach and The Oregon Aquarium. Much more outdoor activities to enjoy in Newport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon