Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:36 PM

125 posts, read 159,150 times

Advertisements

I believe these marriages have been recognized as domestic partnerships since 2008, but I guess they'll receive full recognition in light of the DOMA decision.

Oregon will recognize out-of-state same-sex marriages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 01:09 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
About time.

My home state of Maryland is more progressive when it comes to same sex marriage. Get with it, "liberal" Oregon...you're making me look bad.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
About time.

My home state of Maryland is more progressive when it comes to same sex marriage. Get with it, "liberal" Oregon...you're making me look bad.
I'm originally from Glen Burnie, MD.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,134 times
I think this is a trend. As more people recognize that "gay" marriages do not threaten or invalidate heterosexual ones, the present ambivalent (or hostile) attitude toward gay matrimony will moderate.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:08 PM

70 posts, read 103,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I think this is a trend. As more people recognize that "gay" marriages do not threaten or invalidate heterosexual ones, the present ambivalent (or hostile) attitude toward gay matrimony will moderate.
I think "gay" marriage will ulitmately drive down the number of hetero marriages, possibly ending them.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickers View Post
I think "gay" marriage will ulitmately drive down the number of hetero marriages, possibly ending them.
What makes you think that?

Old 10-23-2013, 12:38 AM

335 posts, read 421,772 times
Because all men are closeted homosexuals. Or out homosexuals.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:41 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Surely you have some evidence of this?

I mean, gay marriage has been around for quite some time, so it should be easy to present some convincing evidence that isn't so dubious a first grader could point out the flaws in thinking.

Did marriage in the Netherlands crumble as soon as gay couples were allowed to get married? Did straight couples in Massachusetts give up on marriage because homosexual couples now had access to civil marriage?

Did straight couples in Washington suddenly stop getting married when same sex marriage became legal? Clearly not. I was there last month and there were couples out in droves waiting to get married. I don't recall seeing any of the straight couples walk out without getting married because they happened to notice a couple of gay couples waiting in line with them.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:12 AM

70 posts, read 103,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Surely you have some evidence of this?

I mean, gay marriage has been around for quite some time, so it should be easy to present some convincing evidence that isn't so dubious a first grader could point out the flaws in thinking.

Did marriage in the Netherlands crumble as soon as gay couples were allowed to get married? Did straight couples in Massachusetts give up on marriage because homosexual couples now had access to civil marriage?

Did straight couples in Washington suddenly stop getting married when same sex marriage became legal? Clearly not. I was there last month and there were couples out in droves waiting to get married. I don't recall seeing any of the straight couples walk out without getting married because they happened to notice a couple of gay couples waiting in line with them.
I don't have to prove anything. I said ultimately, not right now. Culturally, it will change society as clearly as did awarding welfare benefits only to single moms.

You demonstrate the difficulty of conducting a rational discussion of the subject.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I don't have to prove anything. I said ultimately, not right now. Culturally, it will change society as clearly as did awarding welfare benefits only to single moms.

You demonstrate the difficulty of conducting a rational discussion of the subject.
I demonstrate the difficulty of having a rational discussion on the subject?!

I'm asking you to show any evidence that gay marriage has caused straight people to stop getting married. How long do we have to wait? The Netherlands has had gay marriage for over a decade now, so surely we'd see some causal relationship there by now, no?

You've made a very bold claim for which there is zero evidence. What you've posted is the antithesis of rational discussion. It's evidence-free scare mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: