Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 AM

12 posts, read 45,371 times

Advertisements

Let me break it down for you.

I'm a young female trying to get a more extensive college education but already have 6 years of customer service, 1 year in management and 2 years supervisory work under my belt. I am currently studying to be a graphics designer. I have already done some professional advertising for local companies here in Ventura, CA. You can check it out at [Mod cut[/url].

I want to work, study and live in the same place though I wouldn't mind making a considerable drive from work to home if I can't live and work in the same city. I want to live in a climate that is normally cold (rain, snow, whatever). I want to live near water (lake, river, ocean, whatever). I love the mountains and nature but still need my clubs, downtown, shopping and fun!

I am engaged! My fiance wants to earn the main income and I want to work part time while I send myself to school. He has a 5 year old daughter and wants to have her live with us (on weekends, holidays and summer) so I am aiming to make payments (rent/lease to own) on a 3 bedroom house, but for the beginning I'm down for a three bedroom apartment.

My fiance wants to at least get some response from Oregon residents that came from California or locals that just want us to know something special about their state. I'm looking at Portland.

Last edited by Waterlily; 01-17-2008 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: no ads please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 01:04 AM

31 posts, read 121,104 times
You can move here, and some folks love it. After a year and a half now, I am moving back down to LA. (Some people will say good rid'ns) There are some jobs that pay well (comparable) such as in Nursing. But in general the income is about 60% of what you would make in LA or SF for the same line of work. So make sure you take that into consideration. For better or for worse, it's very provincial. Also, Ventura is one of the nicest places on Earth. I've lived in a lot of places. So don't take for granted what you have there. I can see how Portland could be special to a lot of folks. For myself it didn't work at all. Here are my top twenty reasons and you'll just have to wade through my 'Passion Speak':

1. Reminds me of Alabama.
2. The rednecks disguised as liberals.
3. The Mildew season that lasts 9 months.
4. Terrible job that deflated the spirit (okay, this could happen anywhere)
5. People can't let you talk about Portland unless you tell them how wonderful it is.
6. Portland is not that weird as the bumper sticker says...just smug.
7. The liberals disguised as liberated.
8. There really is no film community as the tourist brochures mention - It's LA productions they try to suck the dollar out of, and don't actually support local film artists.
9. Can't stand the wet squeaky noise every time I step my foot anywhere.
10. Uhm, after trying the a few beers, and hiking a couple of places, there's really nothing else to do.
11. The lack of ethnic diversity (that's actually a plus for some folks)
12. The arrogance of Portalnders that think they speak for the state of Oregon.
13. People in Portland drive slower than my grandma (and she doesn't drive).
14. Community is only an idea.
15. The low wage to housing cost ratio.
16. It's also known as the People's Republic of Portland.
17. They hate californians and everyone else who's not from here, or love it here.
18. Portlander's don't know traffic rules. When they get to an intersection before you do, they'll insist that you go first, to prove how much morally superior they are.
19. It's a town full of dreamers and idealists, but the ideas are preferred over the real thing.
20. People don't mow their lawns. "It's natural" they say. "Kind of like an arm pit" I say.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
There are many things that are good about living in Oregon. Some of us prefer living here rather than living elsewhere. Some people can't adjust to the change of living in another place.

It's green here with lots of trees. It's cool a lot of the time. It's not so crowded as southern California. The best thing for you to do is come,and visit Oregon before you decide to move here.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 AM

97 posts, read 503,861 times
It's amazing that some actually think of California as some sort of "vanguard of American culture". On the contrary, Massachusetts and New York has culture. California does not. The best colleges in America are in New England, not in California. The most educated and multi-lingual people in America are concentrated on the East Coast, not in California. Massachusetts was the home of the American Revolution. California has very little history. There is nothing as diverse as New York City. I love visiting the East Coast for all of it's culture. I Can't wait to go to a real city this summer like Boston or New York. San Francisco or LA. are not real cities. Californians really need to get over themselves. They have very little to offer America compared to the centers of power on the East Coast. Have a great day.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM

73 posts, read 473,762 times
My family might be moving to Oregon soon, I think I'll decline to state where I am from when I get there. Starchild is giving us a bad rep.

I have to say, I am concerned about the lack of diversity. San Francisco is A LOT more diverse.

With that said, when you move to a new town you have to give yourself at least two years to get used to it. It's not fair to judge a place so harshly after only being there a short time.

It seems to me that Oregonians just really appreciate what they've got and don't really like a lot of bitching and moaning about what they don't have.

We have rednecks here too, all dressed up in suits and ties even.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
As for Starchild's comments: most of them are OPINIONS, not fact. Many of them are written as absolutes which does nothing for her/his credibility or intelligence level. Remember that. MK makes a good point that it takes a good two years before you can really become acclimated to a city.

Come to Oregon, check it out. Don't be afraid to say you're from California. Only stupid people care. If anyone says anything, it's usually a good-natured jest. If you're hypersensitive and immature, you'll react negatively. If you mentally stable, you'll be fine. You'll like it here, I'm sure.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 AM

31 posts, read 153,221 times
The biggest plus to me in OR vs CA is that it is less crowded and you don't have to go far to find actual open space, undeveloped land. It's good for the soul. While there are some great things about CA, the crowding diminished my enjoyment of most of it. Oh and I take up very little space and walk quietly here in OR, lol! It is cloudier and rainier, but the air is much cleaner - at least compared to southern CA. In the end it's individual, take a week if you can visit, soak up the ambience, go home and see if you feel relieved or sad to be back. That usually tells you everything.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 AM

12 posts, read 45,371 times
Starchild - I appreciate your honesty. I have heard about the pride that residents have of their state, but I feel that is something that any person born of another state has to deal with and I don't think it would be too great of an issue. I also am glad to know about the pay difference. According to swz.salary.com the pay is only -9% difference in the field of work I want to get into. 60% less is a considerable difference and is definitely something I have to consider. That sucks that there isn't enough activity for you, but I am down to visit and see for myself as well. Again, thanks for your reply.

Waterlily - I'm loving the idea of lush forestry and cold cold weather. Is there any places specifically you think I should visit if I am looking for an area with a nightlife? Thanks for your addition.

PNWhike - I think every state has its own culture. Californians are prideful for reasons far beyond my knowledge, but I say "more power to them!" Enjoy the east coast!

Mkcking - I love San Fran! Unfortunately it is too expensive. Everywhere that is considerable is expensive these days. Thanks for your response.

Bobmulk - I totally agree. I appreciate your reply as well. I am not so worried about how people will react, I just want to go to a place where I can expand and grow and not be stuck like most people feel they are out here.

Lovethegreen - The less crowded atmosphere is definitely a plus. I've heard it's getting more and more populated though. I appreciate the advice!

Last edited by kandjgalvez; 01-19-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM

9 posts, read 26,907 times
[quote=kandjgalvez;2507077]I want to work, study and live in the same place though I wouldn't mind making a considerable drive from work to home if I can't live and work in the same city. I want to live in a climate that is normally cold (rain, snow, whatever). I want to live near water (lake, river, ocean, whatever). I love the mountains and nature but still need my clubs, downtown, shopping and fun!

In Portland you would not have to worry about making a considerable drive anywhere. Its a big fun college town with everything you want at a fairly short distance away. The Columbia River (Biggest river in the state) is about a 15 to 20 minute drive to the north. Tons of boating and windsurfing opportunities their (if you enjoy that.) The ocean is 1 hour and a half to the west, Mount Hood is an hour and a half to the east(Skiing, Hiking,Outdoor Fun). If you dont mind the big city (coming from Ventura you either dont mind it, or you want to ditch it) Portland is an excellent choice. Only true big city in the state(700,000). That pretty much limits your options there. Winter wet and cold/summer dry and mild.

Eugene or Corvallis are both really cool towns. Both a short drive from the ocean and the mountains. Corvallis is about an hour south of Portland. Its a smaller slower-paced college town. Not as many clubbing ops there. The ocean is about an hour west away, the Cascade Mountains are about 1 1/2 hours away to the east. If you that place interests you look into Oregon State University. Winter rainy and cold/summer dry and mild.

About an hour and a half or so south of their you have Eugene/Springfield. The University of Oregon (which is largely a business school), is an excellent school with a great football team (dux). Eugene(150,000) is the second largest city, and probably one of the most liberal in Oregon, Next to Portland. (even tho that you did not mention that you cared about liberalism in a city). Coast an hour and a half drive, the Willamette River is a zero minute,zero hour,zero second drive. The Cascades are like 45 minutes to an hour. Winter is rainy and cold, Summer is dry and mild.

If you want to slow the pace down, and do a 180 from big city life go down I-5 about 2 hours. The Rogue Valley is a much slower paced place to live then the Willamette to the north. Its a little more conservative (depending on where you go). The big college there is Southern Oregon University. Tuition is fairly affordable here. Grants Pass,Medford,and Ashland are the three major cities. Ashland is the college town(15,000). Skiing is a 10 to 20 minute drive away (Mt. Ashland). Medford (60,000)and Grants Pass (25,000)are more hokey towns. Medford is a 15 minute drive, Grants Pass is a 45 minute drive from college. A healthy amount of clubbing ops, and dont worry their is a strip club. The coast is a little longer drive, about 2 hrs from Grants Pass to almost 3hrs from Ashland. Aside from the fact that the coast is a little further it is a very scenic place, slow-paced and the weather is almost too perfect. You get four seasons, but all four are pretty mild. Moderately wet winters, with a little snow ( depending on where you are) mildly cool but bareable. Summers are scorchin hot but dry. Plenty of places to cool down, and lots of shade.

If you dont really care about the ocean, and are more of a high desert person check out Central Oregon University and Bend, Oregon(60,000). mountains are about 45 minutes, and the desert is just a step to the east. Standard College town, liberal hemp product shops, clubs and the like. Skiing is big, Mount Bachelor is just an hour drive to the east. Winters are cold and it gets a moderate amount of snow, summers are warm and really dry. Some rain and thunderstorms.

Hope this helps you in your decision. Too many options.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 26,907 times
Default Oops

Excuse me, mount Bachelor is about an hour drive to the west from Bend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon