Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:12 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times

Advertisements

I do agree that the two jacsasses sitting in the back of the truck with the confederate flag, guns and sunglasses were over the top.

I especially liked it when he tried to sound all macho and his voice kept cracking like a pre-pubescent teenager.

These guys were embarrassing.

http://www.columbian.com/wp-content/...ing_Papp-2.jpg

Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
The group organizing the protests in Roseburg estimated (before the event) that they would have about 2,500 people protesting Obama (7,000 people claimed that they would actually attend on the organizer's event page.) They had a turnout, in two groups, of between 100-300 (high and low estimates), many of whom were from out of the area.

I am not particularly an Obama fan, but: did he stop to speak to reporters in Roseburg? Did he hold a press conference in Roseburg? No and no. He did go to Roseburg (as a stop on a previously-planned West Coast swing). He did have private meetings, to which press was not allowed.

Who, exactly, politicized the issue?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I think it was a good thing for the president to visit a community where gun ownership approaches 100%, and the families of all the victims are lifelong gun owners. I'm sure he got an entirely different perspective than he would get in Chicago, where gun ownership is virtually banned.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The group organizing the protests in Roseburg estimated (before the event) that they would have about 2,500 people protesting Obama (7,000 people claimed that they would actually attend on the organizer's event page.) They had a turnout, in two groups, of between 100-300 (high and low estimates), many of whom were from out of the area.

I am not particularly an Obama fan, but: did he stop to speak to reporters in Roseburg? Did he hold a press conference in Roseburg? No and no. He did go to Roseburg (as a stop on a previously-planned West Coast swing). He did have private meetings, to which press was not allowed.

Who, exactly, politicized the issue?
Obama did.

It seemed within minutes after the shootings, Obama was all over the airwaves acting pissed off and talking about gun control.
Politics first, I guess.
Never let a good crisis go to waste.

By that time, residents of Roseburg were quite offended by the fact that he was coldly "using" their grief to promote his agenda, instead of being genuinely concerned about Roseburg first.

IF he would have made a speech in Roseburg after visiting the families, that would have been political suicide for him, so he kept quiet.

Basically Obama had it backwards.
He should have quietly visited Roseburg first, then made his passionate political speech.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:01 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I heard thar since his flying out to Roseburg was goverment buisness the taxpayers had to pay for it. But then he used the same trip to go to Washington and California for fundraising.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes talk about a new level of disrespect to match their ignorance. You would think with such a tragedy in such a small populated area of Oregon. You would think people would put their guns aside for a few days, and help heal their community. How the hell did America get like this. I have tried to figure out when this gun obsession took over the country. I don't remember it this way in the years gone by. It really is very sad, as are these fools for protesters. Protest if you want, but do it after things have done some healing. I saw one woman on the news that told the reporter, that Obama is not welcome in their community. To be honest I have never really felt comfortable travelling thru that area. It's pretty and all that, but the area doesn't give off a completely welcoming vibe to it.
I disagree - Mr. Obama inserted himself into a local event. Locals have the right to advise him that they do not welcome his meddling. He has to be held accountable too.

it is telling that many family members had no interest in meeting with him either.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I heard thar since his flying out to Roseburg was goverment buisness the taxpayers had to pay for it. But then he used the same trip to go to Washington and California for fundraising.
You "heard" wrong. The trip out west was already planned and Roseburg was added after the fact.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM

It's kind of wonderful that so many out of staters seem to fully understand the character and politics of some small timber town in Oregon that almost nobody had ever heard of prior to the tragedy.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:16 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the prez came to pay his respects and they picketed to keep their guns - love your guns so much wow -- prayers go out to he community-
I love how they got their panties all wadded up when our President spoke about the gun issue on his initial shout-out to the press after the incident...

..and yet they turned his visit, where he kept the focus on the families of the victims and supporting the community, into an attempted protest regarding gun issues??

So they were doing exactly what they supposedly got upset with him for doing. Is that hypocrisy or irony, or both?

Old 10-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
..and yet they turned his visit, where he kept the focus on the families of the victims and supporting the community, into an attempted protest regarding gun issues??
Because the president went on national airwaves in an attempted protest regarding gun issues before any of the facts of the shooting were even confirmed in a rush to push his political agenda.

Had he kept the focus on the families of the victims and supporting the community during that initial speech, he might have been applauded and welcomed by all of Roseburg.

Because of his timing, had he made a big speech about gun control during that visit he would have been crucified and berated for being so insensitive and I am sure his advisers wouldn't what that now, would they.

I am also sure that the protesters did not represent all of Roseburg, and there weren't as many as people watching the news clips think there were, but the media loves drama, so there you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon