Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 12:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Members of the Associated Press are required to follow certain protocol concerning releasing info to the public. They gave you the name of the killer shortly after LE released it them. The sheriff's personal decision not to speak the name aloud was certainly his call to make, but it didn't negate the public's right to know.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:29 PM

466 posts, read 1,062,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Is it wired I actually don't care at all?

I'm so tired of people getting so worked up over something they can never control / does not affect them personally. If it affects you personally I get it. I went to Clackamas Town center 2 days after the shooting. You can't live in fear. You can't deal in what-ifs and if-only-we-would-haves.

Crazy murderous people have existed all throughout history, nothing we do is ever going to change that. Your always going to have exclusionary, unkind people who belittle or ignore sensitive people and your always going to have that wierdo who convinces himself that noone likes him so mass murder will show his power and control. "If I can't enjoy my life I'll take a few with me!" It makes no sense. But people who commit senseless acts are well.... senseless.

Left, right, gun bans, more guns. All stupid arguments.
I truly feel sorry for you that you are so numb about all the violence here in the USA. And because of people like you nothing will change much, because for you and thousands of others it is normal and doesn't affect you much, till it does.

My thoughts are with all the victims of senseless crimes.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maybe from an ad in the newspaper, at the local gravel pit or from a casual contact with some anonymous person.
Or just from the shop.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Members of the Associated Press are required to follow certain protocol concerning releasing info to the public. They gave you the name of the killer shortly after LE released it them. The sheriff's personal decision not to speak the name aloud was certainly his call to make, but it didn't negate the public's right to know.
The name was released by the media just minutes after the announcement of the sheriff. It is all over the internet too.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
The name was released by the media just minutes after the announcement of the sheriff. It is all over the internet too.
Yes, I know that, and of course it's all over the Internet. I was just responding to a couple of posts complaining about the media "holding back information." Just trying to explain a little about how the Associated Press works for those who didn't understand why the name wasn't released earlier.

Quote:
Now they won't give out the motive.
That's for LE to determine, not the media. There are plenty of non Associated Press "news" sources currently clogging up the Internet with speculation concerning motive, though. Be careful what you believe, however...one of the reasons AP writers are required to follow certain protocols is to avoid situations such as the one where an unaffiliated news source gave out the wrong name for the Boston bomber.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-02-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 02:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yet another sad tragedy instigated by a sick loser.

Did this college have a lock down procedure? So many schools and office buildings have instituted a lock down procedure to help combat what is becoming a real problem.

If the shooter could have been slowed down by locked doors maybe some lives could have been spared until the Police arrived? Who knows.

We can point fingers and lay blame but in the end we have victims of yet another senseless act of terrorism.
Yes, the school has a lockdown procedure. The shooter only survived the start of the incident by 9 minutes, thanks to immediate response by Douglas County Sheriff deputies. I have been through the Citizen Police Academy with some of the local officers, and you do not want to get into a shootout with them. Pinpoint accuracy with a handgun is very difficult to achieve, but they manage it. All patrol cars are also equipped with real assault rifles that include select fire and full automatic. Two officers entered the building and put the shooter down in seconds.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
This is a tragic event. I have a relative who lives near Roseburg. I have been worried a bit at work yesterday. I wonder where the slimeball get the gun(s)?
BATF gave an interview this morning. All the guns have been traced to FFL dealers. The shooter bought some of them himself through a background check, others didn't belong to him. The report is that he hauled 8 guns with him and lots of extra ammo. This is not the act of a balanced mind. He was howling at the moon crazy, but there are no resources for crazy people in our society.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I am so proud of how the community responded to this incident - students, law enforcement and medical. They are fantastic, professional and couragious at all levels.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:17 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
I would like to see Federal legalization of marijuana, with every penny of tax revenue going to hiring US Military Veterans to patrol schools. 1, 2, 3 or more, depending on size of school - no favors for the rich kids, everyone gets protected!

Teachers would wear Life Alert-style buttons to call for help. And the Patrols would be armed to the teeth.

High-tech communication with outside law enforcement.

This way, the only "school shooting" would involve the assailant being picked off. I'm sorry that it's come to this, but, IMO, this is an instant solution, or as close as we can get with such divergent opinions on the political spectrum.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I would like to see Federal legalization of marijuana, with every penny of tax revenue going to hiring US Military Veterans to patrol schools. 1, 2, 3 or more, depending on size of school - no favors for the rich kids, everyone gets protected!

Teachers would wear Life Alert-style buttons to call for help. And the Patrols would be armed to the teeth.

High-tech communication with outside law enforcement.

This way, the only "school shooting" would involve the assailant being picked off. I'm sorry that it's come to this, but, IMO, this is an instant solution, or as close as we can get with such divergent opinions on the political spectrum.
OK, but this thread is not about the federal legalization of marijuana, it's about the UCC shooting. Can we get back to the point?

This shooting has more to do with gun access and mental illness than anything else. I am not going to blame one more than the other. However, there are some very true indicators here that blame both sides. Gun access should not be denied, but only if and when the buyer is legally eligible to buy. That being said, what is legally eligable to buy mean? This is where we need sharper laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon