Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times

Advertisements

What I would suggest is going from Portland to Astoria via Hwy 30 along the Columbia River.
Then drive all the way down the coast to the Redwoods in Northern California. Bring a sleeping bag and sleep under the stars in the Redwoods. On a clear night, it's magical.
From there, take Hwy 199 back into Oregon and make a side trip to The Oregon Caves. After that get back on Hwy 199 going north and head over to Crater Lake.
From there I would go northeast to The Crooked River Gorge via Hwy 97.
At this point, if going to Eugene and Corvallis is a must, then turn back and go through Sisters Oregon and on to Eugene via Hwy 126. After Eugene you can head up to Corvallis and then to Portland.
However, if you can skip Eugene and Corvallis, I would go from the Crooked River Gorge up to Mt Hood and enjoy a night at Timberline Lodge. After that go around the east side of Mt Hood via Hwy 35 and head north to I-84. Then you can go down the Columbia River Gorge back into Portland.

This would be a LOT of driving but you would see the very best of Oregon. My wife and I have done this trip a few times. Once many years ago on a Honda Rebel 250 in just 3 days. Our backsides were sore but it was an amazing ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 06:56 AM
McJ McJ started this thread

169 posts, read 480,284 times
This trip is part scenic vacation - part city scouting. I'm looking to make a move in the future so I wanted to pop into a couple small college towns to see what I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
What put Eugene & Corvallis on your list?

Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM
McJ McJ started this thread

169 posts, read 480,284 times
Thanks darnselfly! I've added this to my list. I'm now thinking I need to extend my stay. So much to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnselfly View Post
If you do go through Bend and have time, Smith Rocks State Park is About 40 minutes north and is spectacular. Makes a nice contrast to some of the other scenery along your route.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If you are considering college towns you definitely should extend your visit and take a look at Newberg (George Fox University) and McMinnville (Linfield College) as well. They are on the outskirts of Portland Metro.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJ View Post
I'm looking to take a 5 day road trip in Oregon in July. We will be flying in and out of Portland. We want to see the coast, Eugene, Crater Lake, Bend and Corvallis. What is the best route to take? Also, is there an area that I'm missing that I should add?
Thanks!
Y'all might enjoy a jet boat adventure from Gold Beach or Grants Pass. Exciting & FUn.....

Rogue River Jet Boat Trip Jerry's Rogue Jets

Welcome to Hellgate Jetboat Excusions

Drive Safely...

Old 12-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If you are considering college towns you definitely should extend your visit and take a look at Newberg (George Fox University) and McMinnville (Linfield College) as well. They are on the outskirts of Portland Metro.
Definitely add these towns to your list,^^^ but... I would chose to enjoy the north Oregon Coast and forego the south / mid coast. (unless you plan to live there). You can loop through the Northern OR college towns and add Forest Grove, OR (Pacific U) and head to Cannon Beach then south to Newport and head into Monmouth and Corvallis (if you so desire).

This list is missing colleges in Bend, The Dalles, and Roseburg, OR (likely others). Do add them to your quest!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_towns#Oregon

The route to Crater Lake using 138 (Roseburg to Diamond Lake) is very nice and scenic. Lots of good places for camping (future trips).

Do you have access to VA medical? If so, Roseburg is a good option for a retirement location.

On your way back to PDX from Bend / Crater Lake, head to The Dalles, and you can see the very worthwhile Columbia Gorge.

Nice museum in The Dalles (Lewis and Clark + Columbia River history), then Hood River (has satellite CGCC campus) and a lot of brew pubs / coffee. Don't miss the visitor's center / fish ladders and hatchery / gardens at Bonneville Dam, and then take the Scenic Highway on into Troutdale with spectacular vistas. (Multnomah Falls has a very nice restaurant).

https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...IVBJMNCh0Trw6Q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon