Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 11:44 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pystachio View Post
Thanks for the latest replies. There does seem to be a majority count here on Salem. Is that where I should go then? I need to know soon. Prineville seems a bit out of the way and I'd have to base myself in Bend. I also don't see a lot of listings for private rooms there on craigslist.

Let's not forget Springfield. Someone else said Springfield and Salem are "best bang for buck." Which one wins, though? With Springfield I'd have access to Eugene. Which is a better overall area to live in? I'd mostly be spending my time self-studying, but it would be nice to get out here and there.
Salem is an easy drive to Portland and is not that far from Corvallis. I would prefer to be in Salem because the drive to PDX isn't bad when you desire travel, not far from wine country, and I hear good things about Salem's downtown and neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 11:51 AM

226 posts, read 258,197 times
Quote:
Thanks for the latest replies. There does seem to be a majority count here on Salem. Is that where I should go then? I need to know soon. Prineville seems a bit out of the way and I'd have to base myself in Bend. I also don't see a lot of listings for private rooms there on craigslist.

Let's not forget Springfield. Someone else said Springfield and Salem are "best bang for buck." Which one wins, though? With Springfield I'd have access to Eugene. Which is a better overall area to live in? I'd mostly be spending my time self-studying, but it would be nice to get out here and there.
I think both Salem and Springfield have some good places to live. I'd pick Springfield. It's close to Eugene and between those 2 cities there should be plenty to do when you want to get out.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:44 PM

329 posts, read 470,724 times
Between Salem and Springfield, who has more wooded areas to live in??

Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
Between Salem and Springfield, who has more wooded areas to live in??
Probably a toss up.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:14 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Salem is the state capital. It is full of boring bureaucrats. There's not much for culture or entertainment, thought the did turn a century old theater into a performing arts center. At least it has a stage. Salem has nothing like the Hult Center in Eugene. Instead they built a convention center. Salem is conventional and boring. If you are looking for excitement, you won't find it in Salem.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:39 AM

123 posts, read 210,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on what kind of culture you like. Eugene is more granola, bohemian-esque. Salem is more traditional city, slow pace although we are having a Cannabis festival this weekend here.

What do you like to do when you aren't working?
I like to go for walks, photograph people (when I'm involved in community theater like I once was). I love movies and wanted to get involved in classes in LA, but I'm leaving there and headed up to Oregon because I honestly can't find anywhere in CA where the rent is really low except in the desert area. The idea is to spend so little on rent, to work less on what I do now and gain newer skills in web development so that I can return to LA with a secondary income source. In LA, it does seem like you need two income sources to survive there. Not unless you want to hustle it and wait tables, and other odd jobs. That's not good for the long term, though.

So honestly, I'll take cheaper rent over things to do. Springfield does look like the best of both worlds. But then as others pointed out in Salem you get easy access to Portland. So it's a bit of a toss-up. Salem would be easier to find a place since the room listings on craigslist far outnumber Springfield giving me more options. I do see listings in the Portland section that are reasonable, too, but they are't in the center area. They are outside the city.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:47 AM

123 posts, read 210,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
I think both Salem and Springfield have some good places to live. I'd pick Springfield. It's close to Eugene and between those 2 cities there should be plenty to do when you want to get out.
Thanks. I do like the idea of Springfield, but it's tough finding the rooms on craigslist mixed in with the Eugene section. There's very little ads. Maybe if I just go there and ask around.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:27 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
The key difference is whether you want to be close to Portland or not, which would be Salem's advantage.

Springfield has the U of O next door in Eugene, which I think brings several advantages. There are always "things to do" when you've got a big university nearby. It's also got relatively easy access to the coast about an hour away.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Thanks. I do like the idea of Springfield, but it's tough finding the rooms on craigslist mixed in with the Eugene section. There's very little ads. Maybe if I just go there and ask around.
you need to "network' to find rooms for rent in homes, very risk to advertise on CL.

look to churches, senior centers, community clubs...and of course... ask around.

If you are willing to take care of lawn / plants / or do cleaning, you are likely to find a senior couple who will trade room for help.

Look into house-/ pet / plant / farm-sitting, I have a few friends doing that (especially ez to find during PNW winter. )

Old 11-04-2016, 01:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
From either Eugene or Salem you can take a commuter train to Portland - the station is on the north end of the Pearl District, with easy light rail/street car transit around the central part of the city of Portland.

Just be sure you are taking the commuter train (The Cascades train, which is Eugene to Vancouver BC) and NOT the Coast Starlight, because that train is on an LA/Seattle route and is frequently very late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon