Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 09:07 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What's so special about this In and Out stuff? I won't be trying it myself because I don't eat "burgers" and there is no way I'd stand in line for fast food.
Nothing really. They were around Texas when I lived there. Very limited menu of burgers, shakes, sodas and fries. They are obsessive about using fresh beef. But it's your basic thin fast food burger with soft buns. Very 1950s-ish menu. After the initial buzz and novelty dies off they are just another fast food chain, just a little fancier than the lower end ones like McDonalds. They are from CA so all the CA transplants here in the NW get all obsessed because everything is always better from CA.

There are certain chains that seem to be able to generate this sort of buzz when they expand into a new area. Chic fil-A is another example. And from the east coat, Shake Shack. Mainly because they very carefully and slowly expand to generate scarcity on purpose.

A few years ago the big buzz was all about Five-Guys Burgers when they came to the Northwest. And I remember a big buzz when Sonic came here too. Now who pays attention to Sonic?

Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
What's so special about this In and Out stuff? I won't be trying it myself because I don't eat "burgers" and there is no way I'd stand in line for fast food.
This is a pretty common question from folks who simply don't get it - that is the popularity. If you don't eat fast food burgers, etc... then don't expect to ever understand at least from an experiential POV.

Generally speaking, its one of the best fast 'food burgers' available for a number of reasons including freshness, quality meat, overall taste, cleanliness of the place, etc...

Personally, I prefer homemade grilled burgers or more gourmet style burgers cooked medium rare from a nice restaurant/pub over In-N-Out any day. But those are in completely different categories than something someone one may grab on a road trip, etc... My wife has way too many food allergies to enjoy most fast food places period. Maybe a salad or bunless burger, chicken burger and that's about it. So she won't wait in line unless its for the kids who love it. Its really all about perspective. I go maybe a couple times a year because of my preferences above. But when I do the freshness and attention to detail is noticeable for fast food.

Here are some good answers with more details as to why. One is from a guy who used to work at McD's. Why is In-N-Out burger so tasty?

Derek

Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Well, if I simply don't "get it," then I'm glad I don't. Sounds like just one more thing that should have been left in California. Kind of defeats the purpose of fast food to stand in line for two hours to get it.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Nothing really. They were around Texas when I lived there. Very limited menu of burgers, shakes, sodas and fries. They are obsessive about using fresh beef. But it's your basic thin fast food burger with soft buns. Very 1950s-ish menu. After the initial buzz and novelty dies off they are just another fast food chain, just a little fancier than the lower end ones like McDonalds. They are from CA so all the CA transplants here in the NW get all obsessed because everything is always better from CA.
That's about what I figured.

Old 12-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

There are certain chains that seem to be able to generate this sort of buzz when they expand into a new area. Chic fil-A is another example. And from the east coat, Shake Shack. Mainly because they very carefully and slowly expand to generate scarcity on purpose.

A few years ago the big buzz was all about Five-Guys Burgers when they came to the Northwest. And I remember a big buzz when Sonic came here too. Now who pays attention to Sonic?
There is more to it than simply fads when comparing these types of restaurants. The biggest difference is their business model. Its not merely about the food, though that has to be good.

If you stop to take a look at Chic fil-A's profitability from a fast food restaurant POV it is pretty staggering. It completely blows away the competition on a per store basis by a wide margin.

The Average Chick-fil-A Restaurant Tops McDonald's, Starbucks, and Subway in Sales

While you may not think the food is something to write home about like some feel about I-n-O, there is definitely a difference in the marketplace in terms of popularity and staying power vs. those others mentioned like Sonic, etc... I actually know a guy who is a franchise owner of Chick-fil-A and they are doing extremely well year over year. Some may joke about selling chicken sandwiches, etc... But trust me, he will always have the last laugh. When you look at the numbers it pretty staggering and you cannot dispute their success even if fast food or chicken sandwiches aren't your thing.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-15-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-15-2019, 09:49 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times
We just got Del Taco in Tri-cities and their double dell cheeseburger is better than in n out imo.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Well, if I simply don't "get it," then I'm glad I don't. Sounds like just one more thing that should have been left in California. Kind of defeats the purpose of fast food to stand in line for two hours to get it.
The same could be said for Starbucks especially from a non-coffee drinker. They should have just stayed in Washington. Who needs 'em? But that's a pretty silly statement from a business or customer perspective. As long as there is demand, its a good move for the area in the form of jobs and more business as well as for loyal customers. No one is twisting their arm to stand in line. And certainly no one expects a few fringe people on a forum who don't like fast food burgers to get it. You were never their target market. The company and local customers will do just fine with one less person standing in line.

Derek

Old 12-15-2019, 10:26 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There is more to it than simply fads when comparing these types of restaurants. The biggest difference is their business model. Its not merely about the food, though that has to be good.

If you stop to take a look at Chic fil-A's profitability from a fast food restaurant POV it is pretty staggering. It completely blows away the competition on a per store basis by a wide margin.

The Average Chick-fil-A Restaurant Tops McDonald's, Starbucks, and Subway in Sales

While you may not think the food is something to write home about like some feel about I-n-O, there is definitely a difference in the marketplace in terms of popularity and staying power vs. those others mentioned like Sonic, etc... I actually know a guy who is a franchise owner of Chick-fil-A and they are doing extremely well year over year. Some may joke about selling chicken sandwiches, etc... But trust me, he will always have the last laugh. When you look at the numbers it pretty staggering and you cannot dispute their success even if fast food or chicken sandwiches aren't your thing.

Derek
Chick-fil-A is extremely obsessive about customer service. I used to go to the one in Waco with my kids when they were little and we lived out there. They have kids running around with iPads taking orders on foot in the drive-through line when it gets too long and are just super attentive to the experience inside the restaurant. Clearing off empty tables, bringing food out to you, that sort of thing. Sort of like the Nordstrom or Costco of fast food. It's completely different from the average McDonalds. They are also super attentive to Moms with kids which wins them major loyalty. And the Happy meals have healthier options like grapes and yogurt rather than fries.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The same could be said for Starbucks especially from a non-coffee drinker. They should have just stayed in Washington. Who needs 'em? But that's a pretty silly statement from a business or customer perspective. As long as there is demand, its a good move for the area in the form of jobs and more business as well as for loyal customers. No one is twisting their arm to stand in line. And certainly no one expects a few fringe people on a forum who don't like fast food burgers to get it. You were never their target market. The company and local customers will do just fine with one less person standing in line.

Derek
Can't stand that Starbucks crap either, but the analogy doesn't really fly because I'm not opposed to a decent cup of coffee now and then

Never claimed to be their "target market." Just wondered if there was something special about their burgers. Guess not; looks like people are standing in line for mediocrity, but I guess they've become so used to it they'll keep on standing in line.

Salem doesn't need any more minimum wage jobs, lol. They can't fill the ones they have, but that's another discussion.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-15-2019 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
This is a pretty common question from folks who simply don't get it - that is the popularity. If you don't eat fast food burgers, etc... then don't expect to ever understand at least from an experiential POV.

Generally speaking, its one of the best fast 'food burgers' available for a number of reasons including freshness, quality meat, overall taste, cleanliness of the place, etc...

Personally, I prefer homemade grilled burgers or more gourmet style burgers cooked medium rare from a nice restaurant/pub over In-N-Out any day. But those are in completely different categories than something someone one may grab on a road trip, etc... My wife has way too many food allergies to enjoy most fast food places period. Maybe a salad or bunless burger, chicken burger and that's about it. So she won't wait in line unless its for the kids who love it. Its really all about perspective. I go maybe a couple times a year because of my preferences above. But when I do the freshness and attention to detail is noticeable for fast food.

Here are some good answers with more details as to why. One is from a guy who used to work at McD's. Why is In-N-Out burger so tasty?

Derek
We can agree to disagree on that. I eat fast food burgers. If I had my choice between In-N-Out, McD's, BK, Five Guys, or Carl's Jr., In-N-Out would be last on my list. You are just buying into their propaganda about freshness. The McD's near me sells Quarter Pounders made with fresh non-frozen beef. I have tasted it. It's still the same crappy foul tasting burger it was when it was made with frozen beef. freshness is fine, bud it doesn't improve the taste of a crappy burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon