Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
What amazes me is the amount of Portlanders that are 100% taking the side of the Cougar.

Somebody even mentioned that since the Cat didn't "eat" the human, it was OK.
She said that after the "initial skirmish" the person died, so what does it matter?
Cute little kitties get so hungry because we have encroached on their habitat.
We should be more compassionate of their plight.

Yet one little precious pet gets eaten by an urban coyote and the local next door neighborhood websites erupt in chaos and demands that the city immediately do something about it...
Like this woman. A cougar got into her house, and she got it out with telepathy and drumming.

Quote:
Before dawn, Taylor said, she sent the animal telepathic pictures of routes out of the house and up into the hills, then woke the animal up with drumming.
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...ugar_in_l.html

The cat did leave her house, and fortunately, nobody got attacked. I don't think the telepathy had anything to do with it, although I can see how any self respecting mountain lion would flee from the sound of drumming.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-20-2018 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
What amazes me is the amount of Portlanders that are 100% taking the side of the Cougar.

Somebody even mentioned that since the Cat didn't "eat" the human, it was OK.
She said that after the "initial skirmish" the person died, so what does it matter?
I would expect 98.5% of Portlanders to side with the cat. (There is no 'taking sides' in this matter,,,) Mother Nature and natural animal instinct does what it does. WE only suffer when we don't realize that is the case.

There is only one other mammal (besides cat) that loves to torment / pester prey before killing.

They don't eat them either... The cat and 'other' are strategic hunters only killing for fun / adventure / proving they OWN the neighborhood.

Our cats only eat the heads... (birds, moles, voles, rats, mice, squirrels...whatever they have the most fun stalking and tormenting)

Having grown up in Cougar / Mountain lion Country, I stay clear (we had them near our playground at school). My dog was behind a tree 'silently hiding / diligently WATCHING' a cougar the other day. (wise 'farm' dog). A more foolish (city) dog would have barked. POOF / GONE!

Old 09-24-2018, 02:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
My argument to the "habitat destroying" people is this:

We have not so much destroyed THEIR habitat, we have enhanced our habitat so much that food sources (such as cats and small dogs) have increased so much that it would be insane for a wild predatory animal not to take advantage of an easy, nutritious food source.

We feed our pets top of the line prepared dog and cat food, keep them contained indoors and in yards, resulting in them being prime prey, full of fat and nutrients, and then we get upset that they get eaten when we can't protect them.....

When I point that out, I am then vilified as having no compassion.
People also put bird feeders, squirrel food, attractive plants to draw butterflies and the like all to draw nature into their yards. To humans it's taking nature out of it's natural environment and bringing it close for them to enjoy, to a cat it's an invitation to dinner for them to enjoy.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
On the news I heard that they think they killed the cat.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
People also put bird feeders, squirrel food, attractive plants to draw butterflies and the like all to draw nature into their yards. To humans it's taking nature out of it's natural environment and bringing it close for them to enjoy, to a cat it's an invitation to dinner for them to enjoy.
oh... like this... I found putting bird seed on the brick wall was a good way to thin out the abundant bird population...
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...obcat-2611.jpg

The local robin pests send one sacrificial young bird into my blueberries once / day. When the cat has her fill (1/day), the robins indulge on the berries.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:37 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
336 cougars, 12,251 elk, 1744 black bears, and 33,540 deer were harvested in 2017 by Oregon big game hunters.
Almost 48,000 big game animals killed.
That's ODFW statistics.

The most productive areas seem to be OUR NW corner of Oregon and the Columbia basin, both areas within a two to three hour drive from Portland.

48,000 big game animals killed, all this "murdering" going on, and it does not even rate a mention?
I am betting none of these animals violently killed a human being.

Where is the outrage?

Yet *one* cougar kills a human being and a huge tear jerking crusade starts in it's defense?

WTF?

Portland needs to be moved to another planet.
(Just the people part)

Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
At last some common sense:

https://newportnewstimes.com/article...dinance-passed

Quote:
The Newport City Council moved unanimously Monday night to pass an ordinance barring city residents from feeding wild animals. This includes scattering bird seed on the ground, although bird feeders will still be allowed under the new rule.
There really isn't any reason on the Oregon Coast to feed wildlife.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-05-2018 at 06:02 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 06:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
Ya know its not really relevant how many people die in cars , by dogs or even cancer, if someone is discussing cougars, bears wilderness. I'm certain its safer to never leave your house and to lock it tightly.

I plan to walk some logging properties by myself (Oregon & Washington) in early November but only during the day time. No gun and I may only have a hiking cane. Dogs like me ok-- my dog Shasharoosticus (Roosticus) is somewhat famous in Texas.

I know the risk is low but can I make it lower without resorting to automatic weapons or finding other suckers to go with me?

Old 10-07-2018, 06:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Stick to fairly well-traveled trails (Pacific Crest, for instance) so that you stay OUT of potential bobby-trapped or occupied illegal grow sites.

THAT is your biggest hazard in Oregon and Washington (and Northern California) hiking.

ETA - also, if you are going in November, be well-prepared for a turn of weather. Let someone else know where you are going, be prepared for snow and ice in the mountains, and, preferably, don't go alone.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-07-2018, 06:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
These are logging properties up for sale - some recently logged. First week in November and not in areas where there should be snow. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon