Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 PM

22 posts, read 87,339 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am moving to Klamath Falls in march to start my (First!) professional job. I am in my early twenties and have a job secured in the city (I will be working forestry) and I am wondering for any advice on apartment complexes, landlords, etc to check out for renting. I just want something nice and decent priced. Also I do not know a soul in the area and I have never even been to the pacific northwest. Is there any good community programs such as philintropic work or hobby groups (ie snowshoing, sports, hiking etc). Any good ways to meet some people around my age?

I am moving from the metro Detroit area of Michigan and am very excited to trek out west! I will be glad to leave behind flat land and gray skies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Default I almost forgot...

How far of a drive is it to Medford?

Where do you buy chains for tires (this are not allowed in MI except on tractors etc)

Does any one know of civil engineering jobs around the area? My significant other is thinking about also moving out there.

Thank a bunch

Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
The newer apartment complexes are in the area called "the south suburbs". There's a fairly new complex between Bisbee Street & Mazama High School that has good access around town. I do not know what the cost is. There are some other complexes in that area out towards the airport.

As to meeting people, smaller towns like Klamath Falls have a lot of small clubs and I would check with the Chamber of Commerce. Something that may interest you is that there may still be a nice group that works to help with the large bird wildlife refuge just outside town. If you have any interest in churches, I would suggest the local Calvary Chapels as they are younger and cater more to "youngins".

As to work for civil engineers, I'm thinking probably not. Lastly, Medford is about 70 miles west over the cascades on Hwy 140. A very nice drive! Along the way a short detour takes you to the Mountain Lakes Wilderness Area. There is a 3 mile loop with 7 lakes on it and one (Lake Natasha) is the clearest lake in North America for its size- just like looking thru glass. We used to go there and swim in late summer.

Klamath Falls is a dusty, rusty, lusty old town. Many people are a bit disappointed with the town itself. However, the schools are good and the surrounding areas in every direction are wonderful. Before you move on from there, get to really know the area- you'll be glad you did.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. I will check out the south suburbs and that wild life refuge club. I was thinking that maybe there are engineering jobs in Medford.

I kind of like rusty old towns, being from the rust belt myself. I also spent my last five years in the copper country of Michigan which has been devoid of industry for half a century.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times
You might check with OIT (Oregon Institute of Technology) for jobs in CE. There is an ODOT (Oregon Department of Transportation) office in Klamath Falls, too. I think a CE would be able to find something - maybe not an ideal job, but at least work - fairly quickly.

There are two major tire places in town (Les Schwab and Thom Turn), but most of the auto pars places have them and probably Wal-Mart.

In town, just off 5th or 6th (I forget which) there is an outdoor store and rock climbing gym called The Ledge - I'm pretty sure you will meet a ton of young and similarly-minded people there. We bought our snowshoes and cross country skiis there, and a hybrid mountain bike for me from Hutch's Bicycle.

The biggest problem Klamath Falls has is being caught between identities. We're fortunate, unlike Bend, not to have had the 15-25% a year growth, but there has been steady growth in about the last 7-9 years or so, and the planning that has been done (or, more accurately NOT done) has been awful, and the city isn't growing quite so much as "having growths" - big box sprawl down Washburn and 6th. There are some people who don't want any growth, some people who want growth enough to allow anyone to build anything anywhere and the "let's think about this" people get shouted down.

The problems aren't such that they can't be solved, although a good first step would be a shake-up of the county and (IMHO, obviously) annexing Altamont so the area can be planned as a whole instead of the city AND the county providing urban services, often at odds.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
Klamath may be a little lusty and certainly can be dusty, but the rusty part might prove disappointing coming from the land the road salt spreader.

Coming from Michigan, you'll be shocked to have no road salt to ease the way. Highways tend to be sanded, but you still get lots of snow pack and ice on the driving surface. On the plus side, your car won't rust out in 6 years.

While tire chains may come in handy the odd time, I think you'll find them useful only if you absolutely insist on driving in horrible conditions. Most road restrictions call for "Carry chains or Traction Tires". When road conditions become so bad that chains are mandatory, it's time to stay home. A set of 4 studded snow tires will take most reasonable people anywhere they need to go.

Check road conditions and tire requirements through the ODOT site. TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

To take a quick look at the main drag of your new home town, check out the web cam at:klamath.net/webcam.htm (broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM

thanks for your input again. I checked out that web cam and It took like 20 seconds to even see a car drive by .

In response to corner guy,

I actually just spent 5 years in the Up, and they don't use salt either! They stick with dirt and sand. It certainly is different. I am rather afraid to drive in mountains, seeing as I haven't. Those passes with no guard rails and sheer drop? I might have to hire someone to chauffeur me through!

Big box sprawl seems to be happening every where

Can anyone lend me some actual Names of some apartment complexes? I don't want to live with all the college students either because I just graduated college and I need to focus on my new career.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,750,941 times
You might try the Classifieds of Herald and News: Klamath Falls, Oregon > Front

The main roads through the Cascades like OR140 are good quality, 2-lane roads. There shouldn't be any scary bits if you use common sense. OR 66 (Greensprings) runs from south of Klamath over to Ashland (just south of Medford). it's a very scenic drive in good weather, but I'd give it a skip during winter.

However, if you're looking for a little adventure, I can point you a section of OR140 in south-eastern Oregon near Dougherty Summit that looks like something out of a Wiley Coyote-Roadrunner cartoon.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

What are good moving options to move into klamath falls? I am having a hard time finding moving companies that service the area from long distance moves.

It seems like none of the pack your self type companies service the areas. Any suggestions on full service movers?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,727 times
The crestview commons seem pretty nice also. i am moving to k falls at the end of february myself from Seattle! Going to be a culture shock at first i bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon