Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times

Advertisements

How long have you lived on the Oregon Coast? What's life like there for you- the good and bad? What kind of activities are available for retirees where you're at? How have you adjusted to the weather? How easy has it been for you to make new friends?

It's OK to DM if you'd rather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:13 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
No, no! please post - there's more than one of us interested in the answers.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:52 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times
No responses yet, Tesaje! I know there have to be some relocated ladies up there. Guess they're outside having fun while I'm sitting here in front of the computer and under the air-conditioning!

Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
I am not a retired woman, but a close frind is a retired woman who moved from MN to Newport, OR on a lark when she retired. She loves every second of it. Depending on the city, it's a fairly average place to live, expense wise. The weather is much cooler and more windy- but when the Oregon coast is good, there's nowhere like it on the earth. Another aspect I like is that in places like Lincoln City and Newport everything is a mile away- stores, hospital, beach... so very easy to get around it. The Oregon coast attracts a lot of retirees so I think making friendships would be fairly easy as well.

I say, "go for it!"

Old 07-07-2009, 07:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,513 times
I live in Lincoln City and we are working on retirement, but not quite there yet. I'm married, so not alone. I LOVE living by the beach in Lincoln City. I just got back from a beach walk. For me, just walking on the beach with my dog brings me great happiness. I never get tired of it and the beach changes every day! We are so very, very blessed in Oregon to have public beaches for everyone to enjoy!! I also love the changeable weather. It can be crazy! We can get intense storms in the winter and they are fun to watch too. There are some people who post here and say it is always gray and rainy on the coast. That is absolutely not true here! Yes, we do get gray and drizzly days in the winter, but it changes in a heartbeat too. If it is drizzly, that is the time to bundle up and go out and watch the storm, or stay inside, get cuddled up, and read a good book. Another thing which I LOVE is the air. It is always so fresh and clean. Last week, the valley had a heat wave and I got to open windows and feel the cool ocean breezes all day! Actually, my windows are even open now. Love it!

As far as making friends, I think a person can always do that. Here, there is a senior center, arts center (very reasonable to join), a culinary center (cooking classes?), or one can join a church, or volunteer for something. I know some people even take part-time jobs in stores just to get their "people fix". I know a gal who works part time in the liquor store, not for the money, but to meet all the happy people about to start their vacations, ha,ha. I think happiness is a state of mind. If you are going to see the negative, you are going to see the negative, no matter where you live. But, I truly believe that being able to live on the Oregon coast is wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
View detailed profiles of: