Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 AM

4 posts, read 13,077 times

Advertisements

We visited Corvallis in September and found it to be fairly vegan-friendly, but in only a week it was hard to visit too many restaurants. The coop was fantastic, and Sunnyside Up and Nearly Normals were great, but what about everywhere else? One of the main reasons I seek to leave the Deep South is the lack of veg-friendly restaurants. I'm tired of having to cook every meal from scratch. Can it be done? I'd like to hear from some vegans if possible. Don't want to move somewhere and then find it only marginally better than the place I fled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM

21 posts, read 65,023 times
I live in Corvallis and it's VERY friendly for vegetarians, and just a little less so for vegans. They have Cafe Yumm, has vegan mayo etc, of course Sunnyside Up and Nearly Normals, Fireworks which is local organic ingredients etc, Woodstocks Pizza, and most of the restaurants around here at least have vegetarian options. I can't see how it wouldn't be an improvement from the deep south as far as healthy eating goes...

Old 11-14-2009, 05:10 PM

234 posts, read 718,847 times
Corvallis is very vegan friendly!!!! VERY

Old 02-18-2011, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
Corvallis, for all its supposed progressiveness, is pretty shabby in the vegan department.

There are plenty of options for vegetarians, but if you're vegan then expect to do a lot of home cooking since you'll quickly exhaust the limited restaurant selection. Home cooking is often cheaper and healthier anyway

Two other options not mentioned by others : China Delight has a number of vegan friendly menu items, as does American Dream pizza (and their attached Crow Bar will serve vegan pizza until maybe 1 or 2 am)

Old 02-20-2011, 10:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Corvallis is largely a bunch of science nerds, so don't expect exceptional cuisine. However, Eugene and Portland are just up the road, and especially Eugene would be an easy weekend jaunt for better eats. Farmer's markets are also common and well stocked. That said, I think I would spend a lot more time worrying about getting a job, so you can afford your vegan eats. If you can land one, I don't think you will be disappointed, except, perhaps, by the weather.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Corvallis is largely a bunch of science nerds, so don't expect exceptional cuisine.
Science nerds don't like to eat good food? Actually, I kinda agree with you--but I think Corvallis doesn't do too bad considering it's small population (50k).

Quote:
However, Eugene and Portland are just up the road, and especially Eugene would be an easy weekend jaunt for better eats.
Agree. Many more choices in Eugene and Portland.

Quote:
Farmer's markets are also common and well stocked.
Including Corvallis's farmers markets. One on Saturday and one on Wednesday. Excellent selections of high-quality local produce and other goods.

Quote:
That said, I think I would spend a lot more time worrying about getting a job, so you can afford your vegan eats. If you can land one, I don't think you will be disappointed, except, perhaps, by the weather.
Ah, the job market. Now that we are in a recovery, there may be more of a need for service workers to cater to the needs of OSU students, hospital workers and retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon