Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 07:59 AM

11 posts, read 30,643 times

Advertisements

I recently sold my house in VA and I am heading out west. I have been a long time lurker in the city data forums and find the info contained here somewhat confusing. It seems as if everyone has a problem with living everywhere. I want to go up the OR coast and finally stop in Portland. I am a young (Ha!) sixty-one and on Railroad retirement and have health ins., etc, with an income of roughly 3 grand a month and no debt. I want to find a roommate arrangement to live in for a couple of months and check out the area for possible settlement. I am asking for some advice on, given my situation, where to live, shop for essentials, and what to consider in settling in OR or WA. I check Craigslist for shared living arrangements in the Portland area and find many opportunities. I would like to share the thoughts of folks, retired or otherwise, who live in the area on this quest of mine. I would like to be near the coast(2 to 3 hrs ok) and have city amenities.

Thanks in Advance,
Davo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Well if you tell people what you want in a place to live we can give you some guidance of places to check out.

Yes, people chronically complain. Everyone has different tolerances and a different idea of perfect. Some people love Bend because it's sunny. It's too hot for me so I like the valley rain because I don't do well in heat. Is Bend a terrible place. Not at all, just not right for me. So keep that in mind when you listed to people's opinions. They are basing it on what works for them, not what works for you. Only you can decide what is right for you.

So...what are you looking for in a place to live other than wanting to be 2-3 hours from the coast. That covers a lot of territory in Oregon.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM

11 posts, read 30,643 times
Default Reply

Silverfall,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for a city, not too large, between 75000 to 500,000 population. I like the city amenities. I am an active 61 so I would like places to bike and hike and jog. I also enjoy an active music scene. I wouldn't mind being able to get a part time job in a coffee shop mostly to learn the business. I have an idea of opening my own coffee house some day. I would need a good library and opportunties to go to theater once and a while. It would be nice to have decent public transit so I don't have to drive everywhere. Schools and such do not matter to me as I am a single retired guy and my baby is grown. I lean to the left politically and don't have much used for any fundamental religions so I would not fit in a very conservative area. I have a decent(for me) source of income so I'm not looking for life time employment. Hey, also a good population of 50 to 60 year old women wouldn't hurt (I'm old but not dead - lol). Ayway, that's a good bit of what I'm searching for.

Thanks for posting a reply to my original post.

Davo

Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Based on that description, the place you want is Eugene. Every single thing you mention is there.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM

I second Eugene and Portland would work as well. You might like the Belmont area.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Portland's bigger than he wants - the city itself is over 500,000 and the metro area close to 2 million. Other than that, yes, Portland would fit.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Portland's bigger than he wants - the city itself is over 500,000 and the metro area close to 2 million. Other than that, yes, Portland would fit.

True, but it's been my experience that people from other states say they want a smaller city to avoid sprawl. Since we have urban growth boundaries and things are more dense here, I often find that people have a different opinion when they set foot in Portland since it doesn't have sprawl like say...Chicago does. I think Portland has many communities within the city that can give people the "cozier" feeling that they tend to be looking for.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:07 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhamlin View Post
...... Hey, also a good population of 50 to 60 year old women wouldn't hurt (I'm old but not dead - lol). Ayway, that's a good bit of what I'm searching for......
Davo
Different communities have different results...
Unlike some communities, Portland and the I-5 corridor seems to have quite a few single attractive ladies (in the age group 50+) signed up with the free Internet dating site Plenty of Fish dot com. The other big free dating site, OKcupid, has attracted more members from the younger ladies (under 40).

Aside: Portland is divided up into neighborhoods. It is possible to live in quiet comfort in areas of Portland metro, and not be too bothered by the larger metro area population, but the urban amenities will be there. Google: Moving to Portland for some links to descriptions of Portland's neighborhoods.

Portland is regarded as a Young Town, since there will appear to be lots of younger people (under 35) all over the downtown and close in areas. But they are mostly polite and well behaved. No all, mind you, but mostly.

Portland has extensive trails, and bike paths, through out the city. Portland area was once millions of years ago part of a volcano lava field, now called the Boring Lava Field. You can Google or Wikipedia: boring Lava Filed. for more info. This has left Portland with some interesting parks and trail areas due to geography.

One last comment, Portland (and Multnomah county) have higher property taxes and rents reflect this. If you look on Craigslist.com at rental prices, you will notice a price (rental costs) difference between suburban areas and city of Portland per square foot.

Phil

Old 01-23-2010, 02:20 AM

908 posts, read 1,662,077 times
how about washington county, beaverton general area, off the sunset highway. the highway leads directly to the coast, and wash co has lower taxes, is pretty middle class, nicer area not really urbanized, and easy transport by bus/ train/ car to portland for theater, etc . tons of chix everywhere, plenty your age. a suburban area of portland with just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon