Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 AM

89 posts, read 387,726 times

Advertisements

I've been silent until now on this topic. I wanted to see what everyone else said about tailgating first before jutting in w/my 2 cents.

Tailgating is a major cause of motor vehicle accidents. I work in a hospital where we get the aftermath of many of these MVA's. What must be remembered is that even though that person driving excrutiatingly slowly in the lane in front of you is annoying, they are just trying to get to their destination...just like you (the person behind them, hopefully not the person tailgating them). Also, remember that the person in front of you (if you are tailgating) or the person behind you (if you are being tailgated) is someone's family member. They are someone's daughter, son, grandson, mother, grandfather, etc. Imagine what would happen if tailgating resulted in a member of your family being hospitalized. Maybe you'd think twice about tailgating.

I will admit that I have gotten a bit too close to people while driving down I4, but I never tailgate intentionally. I usually find a person going about my speed and get into one of the middle lanes and follow at a safe distance. I may get passed but I generally have less chance of a collision by consciously driving safe.

I HATE being tailgated. I have a small hatchback car. People seem to INSIST on driving as close as possible to my car's rear end. My car's rear end is a lot closer to my head than if I was driving an SUV around. When a vehicle shows up tailgating in my rear-view mirror...it's awfully close to me. I like my car. I paid a lot for my car (or at least a lot for a broke college graduate's budget). My car is my only source of transportation to and from work so I can pay for insurance for my car. I'm sure you paid a lot for your vehicle too. Please lets just cut back on the tailgating and keep our cars intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,217,507 times
driving in orlando is awful. it truly is. i am not exaggerating, or anything like that, i am speaking the truth. i've never seen any city worse.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 46,894 times
Most people in Orlando don't know how to drive, unless you are from the north, where you were trained in the snow, sleet, rain, curves, mountains, hills, cliffs and mud. Good thing I don't have to travel I-4. When it rains most people in Orlando Freak out, it's pretty funny

Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 PM

oh right, it's the ppl from up north (that live in orlando) that are the good drivers. rrriiiiight.

news flash: most ppl in orlando are either from ny/nj/puerto rico

Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo80 View Post
Most people in Orlando don't know how to drive, unless you are from the north, where you were trained in the snow, sleet, rain, curves, mountains, hills, cliffs and mud. Good thing I don't have to travel I-4. When it rains most people in Orlando Freak out, it's pretty funny

Actually most people that live here are from the north or from another country....the only real locals are some pockets of white americans and the historically black areas are local but the majority of people that live here in the city of Orlando or in the state for the most part are transplants.....its rare to meet people with deep roots here.....now i am one of the people that you would call a native having lived here most of my life but i have lived in other states too......i heard the same complaints in other states for the most part but never heard or saw as much as far as road rage and shootings in traffic like it happens in Florida.....yeah there were stories in the other states but in Florida people pull guns in traffic all the time .....well not all the time but if you were from another state and you lived here for a while you would see a difference ....if not in person you would hear on the news about someone getting shot at from road rage more than other places..

Old 07-29-2007, 08:23 PM

like i said, orlando traffic/drivers are bad. road rage, running red lights, the list goes on and on... just like thaspecial said, and i said one post above, most ppl in orlando are not from fla. they are from ny/nj/puerto rico. so complaining that the natives cant drive, and the ppl from up north can, is laughable. who do you think is cutting me off, driving way too fast, etc...

one moment i wont forget: i was living in nc at the time. went down to fla to visit family and was heading back up to nc on i-95. an suv was right on my butt, i mean right behind my car. i saw it, so being that i was in the left lane i got over for him. after he passed me i got behind him in the left lane again. there was hardly anyone out on the road that day. as soon as i got behind him, he slowed down to like 35 mph. he was doing this intentionally and was acting like an idiot. i passed him on the right b/c he wouldnt move. as i passed him he has a little baby in the suv with him --- yes, his wife/gf and child were also in the car. i couldnt believe he was doing this while a child was in the car. as i passed him, i looked over and saw them, and also noticed he had a nj tag. this didnt suprise me at all.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM

134 posts, read 438,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebo80 View Post
I'm not sure about that because about everyone I knew in Florida was from Michigan, New York, New Jersey, or other midwestern/northeastern states. Very very few natives. I've also driven those states and I don't think they are much better. But it seems like when people move to Florida, they throw all caution to the wind, no matter where they moved from.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM

so my question is: why do all the good drivers/law abiding citizens move to nc/sc/tn, and we (for the most part) get all the trash? so it seems.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
so my question is: why do all the good drivers/law abiding citizens move to nc/sc/tn, and we (for the most part) get all the trash? so it seems.

My guess or theory is that before most people actually moved here they visited on "vacation" and you get that touristy feeling alot of places in Florida as if you can get away with anything since you are on vacation, but the problem is when they move here and think the same way just because the beaches and the sun and palm trees and attractions are around they still think it is vacationville and they can do things however they want in traffic.....that..... on top of new immigrants that arent experienced drivers, old people, and just the mix of driving styles from each part of the country all make a road rage soup that we all get to eat everyday out on our local roads/highways

Old 07-29-2007, 08:39 PM

you might be right, thaspecial. i couldnt believe when i was driving in my pretty nice area in waterford lakes area in orlando and saw a hispanic man just throw out his garbage (in a residential area) right on the street. i was like, "what the hell are you doing?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando