Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:42 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,857 times

Advertisements

Lest you think everyone down here is negative I just want to wish you the best of luck! Find a few potential places you could waitress (or preferably an area with a lot of restaurants nearby so you have some options) and then work out from that area to find apts or places to live. I think everyone here can give better advice on a specific area rather than Orlando in general.

You won't pay more for food or gasoline or insurance, those are all about the same. Housing costs are a little bit less. There are plenty of free non-theme-park things to do in the area.

Get a little something saved up to tide you over until you're working steady and you'll be fine. The worst that can happen is you move back but at least you'll get to spend the winter in a place with no snow. Good luck and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 56,711 times
Oh i know it'll cost money to do just anything so is living in jersey. The cost of living are probably going to cost the same like gas, food, car insurance, etc. which is not that big of a deal. Though it doesn't really cost anything to go to the beach.
Why are you comparing Cali to Fl?? we all know how expensive Cali is. i wouldn't want to move out there.
if we're going to be afraid of every lil things than we'll need to live in a bubble. There are soo many other states to move to instead of being miserable in one place. So therefore i'm going to take my chance. I've done lots of research and have already checked out couple of apartments in Orlando while i was there with my hubby for that one week this past Oct.

With all these negative comments about Orlando. If you are from there and you're not happy. You should consider moving to other states or cities.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 PM

388 posts, read 790,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonka43 View Post
Oh i know it'll cost money to do just anything so is living in jersey. The cost of living are probably going to cost the same like gas, food, car insurance, etc. which is not that big of a deal. Though it doesn't really cost anything to go to the beach.
Why are you comparing Cali to Fl?? we all know how expensive Cali is. i wouldn't want to move out there.
if we're going to be afraid of every lil things than we'll need to live in a bubble. There are soo many other states to move to instead of being miserable in one place. So therefore i'm going to take my chance. I've done lots of research and have already checked out couple of apartments in Orlando while i was there with my hubby for that one week this past Oct.

With all these negative comments about Orlando. If you are from there and you're not happy. You should consider moving to other states or cities.
While there's quite a bit of negativity on these boards, I believe most people have been trying to be quite helpful. First and foremost, you should make sure you have some sort of way of making money prior to moving. FL as a whole, has one of the highest unemployment rates. On top of that, while your overall cost of living may be cheaper than NJ, certain things like cable/internet and electricity/water will end up being much more. If you plan on living in an apt you won't have to worry about landscaping and pest control, but that is an added expense along with HOA in many communities. I will also agree with everyone that has stated that Orlando has plenty of entertainment options. However, most of them do cost money, and if it comes down to feeding your family or buying a park ticket, I think you know where your dollars will go. Coming on these boards is a start, but you really need to do your legwork. I'm sure most will agree that the last thing Orlando needs is another unemployed person who made a mistake in moving.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I worked as a waitress in MA and also in Orlando. I am here to tell you could make very little money as a waitress in Orlando. You will deal with a lot of tourists that know they will never see you again, broke families that have little to give and tight seniors.

I was lucky to make $40 a night. Compared to MA, it was such a joke.

I want to back up the person that said it is next to impossible to get a server job at Disney and it will take years, and probably never, to get a full-time server job.

Also, to the person that said that waiting is a minimum-wage job; that is not true. Usually the position pays less than minimum wage, MUCH less.

Be careful. For some reason, there are a couple of people on the Florida forums that cheerlead about the state, dream about someday living there, but never seem to manage to actually move there. Why, I don't know. But it would be a darn shame to see a young woman and her child lose everything because of someone on a forum encouraging her. Orlando can be a particularly cruel place for people without an income.

I lived in Florida for 10 years, and it was during the economic boom. I shudder to think what it would be like to try and wait tables down there now, if they could actually get a job.

Also, be very careful. I'm from the northeast where we are usually pretty up front about things. It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I saw a lot of people that talk out both sides of their mouth. People can sometimes promise things that don't materialize. Make sure you have a job in writing, take what they say about tip potential with a grain of salt. And remember that Florida is the land of the bounced paycheck.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I worked as a waitress in MA and also in Orlando. I am here to tell you could make very little money as a waitress in Orlando. You will deal with a lot of tourists that know they will never see you again, broke families that have little to give and tight seniors.

I was lucky to make $40 a night. Compared to MA, it was such a joke.

I want to back up the person that said it is next to impossible to get a server job at Disney and it will take years, and probably never, to get a full-time server job.

Also, to the person that said that waiting is a minimum-wage job; that is not true. Usually the position pays less than minimum wage, MUCH less.

Be careful. For some reason, there are a couple of people on the Florida forums that cheerlead about the state, dream about someday living there, but never seem to manage to actually move there. Why, I don't know. But it would be a darn shame to see a young woman and her child lose everything because of someone on a forum encouraging her. Orlando can be a particularly cruel place for people without an income.

I lived in Florida for 10 years, and it was during the economic boom. I shudder to think what it would be like to try and wait tables down there now, if they could actually get a job.

Also, be very careful. I'm from the northeast where we are usually pretty up front about things. It wasn't until I moved to Florida that I saw a lot of people that talk out both sides of their mouth. People can sometimes promise things that don't materialize. Make sure you have a job in writing, take what they say about tip potential with a grain of salt. And remember that Florida is the land of the bounced paycheck.

And speaking of tips, I was behind a man and woman who had a check for $34 paid with a credit card and added a $2 tip, again not even 10%.

OP, the person from CA was trying to tell you that like FL, many people come on vacation enjoying the warm weather, going to see the sites, going to Disneyland or Disneyworld.

I have lived in both states, had family come out to CA and loved it. I took time off to do activities with them. I said you do realize that we don't go to the beach all the time, or drive around Beverly Hills, or go to Universal Studios.

That the norm is getting up and going to work and coming home, paying bills.

I remember years ago in London outside of Buckingham Palace and talking to an English bobby, he said he has never been inside and lived in London his whole life.

The point is going on vacation, and living somewhere is two different things.

And FYI, groceries here are outrageous, even compared to CA.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:30 PM

34 posts, read 56,711 times
I know that you guys are being helpful and i totally appreciates it very much this is why i'm on this site. Thanks !!! I know that moving is tough and will try to weight out the pros and cons. I know that there are lots of crimes in Orlando area we will use common sense. We're not going to go looking for trouble. Walk around in tough neighborhood. We're not going to rent a ghetto apt. We'll rent 2 yrs. or so if we absolutely love Fl. We will buy a house. Plus we will mostly installed ADT for our apartment. Our activities doesn't involve being somewhere dangerous or expensive. We live a very simple life. It's just me and him for now. We love outdoor sport such as tennis, swimming and jogging. We don't really go to theme parks so that would help us save and we do love the beach. We're in our late 20s. We might even consider somewhere outside of Orlando as well such as Heathrow or Lake Mary. I know it's easy for to say right now but i'm very positive that we will be happy. I 'm getting really sick of the life im currently living right now. It's not easy. I'm either at home or at work or just go out to eat at restaurant with my hubby 3 times a months or so.

Oh wildwood beach is nice but have you guys check out the hotels or motel down the jersey shore?? EXPENSIVE in the summer . It's a long drive and would like to stay there but hate staying in that type of hotels or motels.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
The flip side is that if you're in the right place, you can do well as a server or bartender down here. I've known more than one person in my neck of the swamp who works in a largely tourist restaurant because they make more money in fewer hours than they would teaching in the schools down here. (Granted part of that is that the pay for white collar jobs down here tends to be so low, but they were managing to pay a mortgage on a modest house by serving)

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And FYI, groceries here are outrageous, even compared to CA.
Gas and sales tax are far cheaper than CA though.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Be careful. For some reason, there are a couple of people on the Florida forums that cheerlead about the state, dream about someday living there, but never seem to manage to actually move there. Why, I don't know. .
The dream is coming true Hip.

We will be down next week to look at houses and hopefully be moving after Christmas to Florida.

Just so you will know and stop guessing, ( You should already know if you follow my post and read my posting so much ) that I just buried my Mom who died of cancer. We stayed in Ohio to care for her.

OP- Many people have moved successfully to Florida. It is vital that you research everything from jobs, to places to live, crime, have some money put back for an emergency etc etc.

Do NOT go to Florida without doing all these things and more. As you should any move to any state.

Have all your ducks in a row and a well organized plan and you will be fine.

We all know economic times right now are the worse since the depression and some of the Florida bashers are out in full force to convince people how bad Florida is.

Florida is not the 3 and 4th ( moves back forth ) most populated state for
nothing.

Its all in the research and planning.

Goodluck and keep asking specific questions as many posters here will give you the truthful input to your specific questions.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:11 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The flip side is that if you're in the right place, you can do well as a server or bartender down here. I've known more than one person in my neck of the swamp who works in a largely tourist restaurant because they make more money in fewer hours than they would teaching in the schools down here. (Granted part of that is that the pay for white collar jobs down here tends to be so low, but they were managing to pay a mortgage on a modest house by serving)

I just spoke to a manager at a local Subway today who asked me when we were moving to Florida and I told him sometime in January.

He said his sister moved to Miami in April and has made over 40k already this year being a waitress. Not bad for 8 months so far.

He said he was offered a managers job at a huge resort Subway at 65k and turned it down because his daughter just started school here and did not want to change her schooling.

So there are some jobs, might not be the perfect job for some people but they can be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando