Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times

Advertisements

well ComSense my first road rage incident happened to occur to me right here in Orlando on Alafaya Trail near Stoney Brook where a guy in a white pick up was tailgaiting me for driving the speed limit! He followed me into the Publix parking lot and pointed a gun at me in a fit of rage!
I have lived 30 years in Miami and never had anything like this happen to me & yes Miami may have rude drivers but they will just pass you up but not point a weapon at you!
What is surprising is that Orlando has a lot more highways compared to Miami where everyone is crammed into I-95 or the Turnpike heading north or south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well ComSense my first road rage incident happened to occur to me right here in Orlando on Alafaya Trail near Stoney Brook where a guy in a white pick up was tailgaiting me for driving the speed limit! He followed me into the Publix parking lot and pointed a gun at me in a fit of rage!
I have lived 30 years in Miami and never had anything like this happen to me & yes Miami may have rude drivers but they will just pass you up but not point a weapon at you!
What is surprising is that Orlando has a lot more highways compared to Miami where everyone is crammed into I-95 or the Turnpike heading north or south.
Miami scares me 100000x more than Orlando ever could.

The surveys seem to agree with me:

2009 was the FIRST time in 4 years that Miami did not win the national title for worst road rage in the country:

New York drivers named most aggressive, angry in U.S. | Reuters

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18665115...mental_health/

Survey: Miami Worst Road Rage City - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.justnews.com/news/9223887/detail.html - broken link)

Orlando has nothing on Miami, except for some stupid tourists who don't know where they are going and old people who go 10 mph under the limit in the left lane on interstates. Orlando doesn't even crack the top 10.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
From your thread, it seems like you will be encountering I4 on a daily basis. Therefore you will have to put up with the crazy driving. On the other hand, if you live in Lake Mary, your wife and kids will rarely, if never use I4. We have everything here including shopping, restaurants, entertainment, doctors and everything else you need. Schools are good here and housing is affordable.

The question here is can you can deal with driving all over the place? If so, I think you and your family will be fine. I've driven on I4 and in Orlando and I have noticed ppl in a rush, cutting you off and honking at you, but that's the extent to it. Like I said, in and around Lake Mary, the drivers tend to be polite and I don't typically see that. I have never been involved in road rage here.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
^^^ Thx Beckycat, I'm not worried about me being subjected to the idiots, I just want a safe environment for my wife and kids (when old enough to drive). If we lived in Lake Mary, my wife would be getting on I-4, because she would work downtown. But she'd be on the road pretty early and I wouldnt think it'd be too crowded at 6:15-6:45am.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

That's F'in scary. That's right where I used to live too. Did you call the cops on that lunatic?

PS - I do have a gun which I will keep with me, but I dont have a CCW.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I would never let something as stupid as bad drivers ruin my whole day. I don't think thats ever happened to me before. And I also never had road rage here. And it doesnt really matter which suburb your in, it depends more on how busy of a road your on. Alafaya in Oviedo isnt much different from Alafaya in Waterford. People in metro Orlando are pretty mobile, like the are in any other metro and they could be driving in Oviedo but live across town.

That is because you grew up in Florida, so you think this is the norm. When you live in the Pacific Northwest and then come to FL is is a shock and scary.

Then add in the fact that 40% of FL drivers drive with no car insurance.

Orlando followed by Tampa leads the nation in deadly hit and runs.

Quality of life is greatly improved when you don't have to deal with morons on a daily basis. If isn't a elderly driver, it is a poorly trained FL teen(they don't seem to teach the 10 feet for every 10 miles rule here), or a redneck in one of those trucks you need a step ladder to get into.

I have lived in 5 states and I have never seen drivers like this.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Thx Beckycat, I'm not worried about me being subjected to the idiots, I just want a safe environment for my wife and kids (when old enough to drive). If we lived in Lake Mary, my wife would be getting on I-4, because she would work downtown. But she'd be on the road pretty early and I wouldnt think it'd be too crowded at 6:15-6:45am.
Perhaps it may make more sense to live around downtown then? Plenty of good options there: Winter Park and Baldwin park are both good for families.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM

We like WP but it's soo expensive.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
We like WP but it's soo expensive.
Dr Phillips is also doable if she will be working in downtown and you will mainly be in Orange county. I've seen some of the older homes (1980s-1990s) go for $200-300 K in the area.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
A commute that time shouldn't be bad at all. My kids drive and I feel safe with them driving around here. My daughter occasionally goes on I4 , but my son just stays around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando