Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 28,452 times

Advertisements

I am hoping we are making the right decision. We have to make a change and feel this may be our last resort. Regardless of A schools it's not always the truth. I have seen everything and I am tired of fighting all of the time with the school system. I have 3 kids. I applied to these two charter schools. Hoping the girls will get accepted. Lake Eola and Orlando Science school. Please if anyone can help me and give me some information on these schools, I appreciate it Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,062 times
It depends on your children's focus on STEM for Orlando Science and Liberal Arts for Lake Eola , your commitment to drive these schools. Orlando Science is an A school plus top 10 school by FL DOE

If you like sports band choose a public school

Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
How old are your children? Where do they go now?

I've heard good things about the Orlando Science and mixed reviews on LECS.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks for responding. I decided to home-school the girls this year but before they were in Public school. They are in 2nd and 3rd. My son is in 11th grade and in Public school. Its pretty bad my son is encouraging me to home school the girls...he said he would not want the girls to go through what he sees and hears everyday. I am still undecided what our plans are for the next school year but I was hoping maybe a charter school will be the answer. Unfortunately, we cannot afford private school which have outrageous fees. I think the private schools take advantage of Floridians because of the history of our schools failing.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:20 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
There's always the choice of magnet schools once they get into high school, so you're not limited to what school they can go to as long as you're willing to drive them. Then they have the option to focus on something that they love and will really help them in college.

I know this is anecdotal, but the only person I knew of in high school who had started drinking in middle school went to a private catholic school. So... sometimes being in private school doesn't mean they're not going to be exposed to bad things.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,748,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnlife View Post
Unfortunately, we cannot afford private school which have outrageous fees. I think the private schools take advantage of Floridians because of the history of our schools failing.

Nope. It's simply a matter of "private school do it for less" being a big myth. Many of the long-standing private schools are going to be $10,000+ per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I know this is anecdotal, but the only person I knew of in high school who had started drinking in middle school went to a private catholic school. So... sometimes being in private school doesn't mean they're not going to be exposed to bad things.
I remember a prominent radio host saying that sometimes, he felt that some of the public schools in his area were more Christian than some of the private schools who claimed to be Christian.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM

My daughter will be attending a magnet elementary next year that I am very pleased with. My older son attends Boone High and I have absolutely no problems with that school, either.

Do you have no interest in the magnet programs? Where in Orlando do you live?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
My daughter will be attending a magnet elementary next year that I am very pleased with. My older son attends Boone High and I have absolutely no problems with that school, either.

Do you have no interest in the magnet programs? Where in Orlando do you live?

We are in Orange County...from my understanding the county only offers magnet to middle/high school...my girls are in 2nd and 3rd.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM

I understand. I cannot put my kids in a bubble. I did not mean just drinking/drugs he was talking about. Its more academic and some teachers. Since 7th grade a conversation we had about girls going around giving BJ's. And each year worse and worse. I did go to a Catholic school as well and yes I heard that too...Unfortunately, it happens in all schools private/public.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I also live in Orange County, near downtown. Orange offers magnet programs at all levels.

https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/opt...tPrograms.aspx

Hillcrest, for example, is a language immersion magnet (Spanish, French, Vietnamese), and Princeton in College Park is a science magnet. Those were my top two choices. Both are good schools. Hillcrest is downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnlife View Post
We are in Orange County...from my understanding the county only offers magnet to middle/high school...my girls are in 2nd and 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: