Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 157,453 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Ohio to Orlando, FL. At the end of this year. I have two young children, 2/6 yrs. And am looking into the Kissimmee area since its affordable, and close to attractions. However, I've seen some posts on here which say negative things about Osceola co. Like the Hispanic population in Kissimmee. I am Puerto Rican and wouldn't mind being around Hispanics, I just don't do crime or loud areas. Someone please Tell me which is the best area to live in Kissimmee/Poinciana.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM

117 posts, read 213,667 times
Haha this is a trick question, right? J/K anyway I used to live in Ohio (Cincinnati) - and although I really miss it at times - Orlando is home right now. Anyway you might want to try Hunter's Creek. It's the neighborhood just north of Kissimmee and right by the Loop shopping complex. Trust me it's a well maintained and safe neighborhood with heavy police protection. Since it's a tad more north, it will put you a little closer to other areas of Orlando including the malls. I find that its a pain to get to and from Kissimmee since it seems you have to rely so much on US-192.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM

Fishy13: I have heard Hunters Creek is a nice area, I am looking at some houses there. I just got divorced in 2009 and had to apply for the plan 8 housing assistance until I get on my feet. I've had it for 9 mos. Now and have always worked full time while on it. I was planning on renting a home my first year there, and then buying a house. Would I be able to find section 8 housing in HC? I live in Columbus, OH in a nice subdivision home rented to me by a friend who approved my voucher. I am used to living in a middle class area and would like to find a nice home in a similar area. What do you suggest?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Femme-Fatal View Post
Fishy13: I have heard Hunters Creek is a nice area, I am looking at some houses there. I just got divorced in 2009 and had to apply for the plan 8 housing assistance until I get on my feet. I've had it for 9 mos. Now and have always worked full time while on it. I was planning on renting a home my first year there, and then buying a house. Would I be able to find section 8 housing in HC? I live in Columbus, OH in a nice subdivision home rented to me by a friend who approved my voucher. I am used to living in a middle class area and would like to find a nice home in a similar area. What do you suggest?
Kissimmee is affordable but the quality of life in Osceola County is much lower than in Orange County. IMO the only nice area in Kissimmee is Celebration, and some areas along far west 192 towards 27, like Lindfields subdivision

Have you also looked into the Meadow Woods area? Its heavily Hispanic (dont know if thats an issure for you, Im white and never had any issues there) but it is a nice area with a wide range of homes ranging from the late 70s to the present (some subdivisions in Meadow Woods STILL arent built out yet) but there are some nice older homes and new apartments like Pinnacle Cove that are affordable. Meadow Woods is due east of Hunters Creek and is just a tad north of Kissimmee

Also look into Williamsburg which is closer to SeaWorld, Williamsburg was built in the late 70s and is VERY well kept, and the homes are smaller (it is a former retirement community, now it is mostly young families) but for being in such a good location the homes are affordable as well

DM me if you'd like some more info, I live in Vegas now but Im very knowledgable about Orlando as I lived there most of my life

Old 07-13-2011, 02:52 PM

David, thanks so much! I will be looking into Hunter's Creek and Meadow Woods. Do you think those areas accept Section 8 housing vouchers? I am thinking I should drop section 8 before I leave and buy a house instead, but I don't want to rush things Nor buy a home in an area I do not like. I'm just a bit scared I may only find housing in ghetto areas with section 8 ya know?

Old 07-13-2011, 05:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times
Quote:
David, thanks so much! I will be looking into Hunter's Creek and Meadow Woods. Do you think those areas accept Section 8 housing vouchers? I am thinking I should drop section 8 before I leave and buy a house instead, but I don't want to rush things Nor buy a home in an area I do not like. I'm just a bit scared I may only find housing in ghetto areas with section 8 ya know?
Im pretty sure some properties in Meadow Woods accept section 8, but to be honest I am not really sure. Meadow Woods isnt as high as Hunters Creek, and IMO you should be able to find a decent rental property and section 8 wont be needed, I know that Pinnacle Cove is affordable but I do not know their rents

Some of the apartment complexes in Hunters Creek MAY accept section 8, and some landlords might depending on your history as a tenant. I used to know a guy who owned several homes in Hunters Creek but I no longer have his contact info

Just for the record Hunters Creek and Meadow Woods are not ghetto. Kissimmee (and most of Osceola County) is, with the exception of Celebration, no section 8 accepted there.

There is another area south of Meadow Woods in Osceola County called Buenaventura Lakes. My family first moved there in 1995 and it was a nice brand new community, now in 2011 it is ghetto and the homes are not kept up as nicely as they were in 1995.

If you drive from Meadow Woods down Landstar Blvd into Buenaventura Lakes (aka BVL) you will notice the difference once you pass the "Welcome to Osceola County" sign. BVL has changed a LOT in 16 years, and not for the better unfortunately. The plus side to BVL is you would still be close to the airport, all the shopping, and several major highways, but watch out for the road construction on Osceola Parkway, ughh

Any particular reason why you chose Osceola County/south Orange County? Have you also looked into east Orange County?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 PM

Davie, I Chose that area because it is very affordable. I looked on craigslist and most places who takes section 8 were in Kissimmee area. Either way, section 8 or not, I don't like living in apartment complex I don't like living so close to people, so I'd rather rent a house. The only nice Lookin affordable ones are in Kissimmee. What do you think is ghetto about that area?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM

174 posts, read 454,973 times
I live in Falcon Trace which is across the street from Hunters Creek and you can't go wrong there. I also have friends who lived in Meadow Woods and they couldn't stand it, and they are Puerto Rican. They said even in the 'better' areas of MW, it was ghetto. Parties til late in the evening, people not caring about the property, etc.

I understand you want affordable, but you also have to look at the schools. You basically get what you pay for here. The schools in HC have excellent ratings. MW, not so much. My neighbor was a teacher at MW middle school and he wouldn't let his son go to school there cause it's such a bad school. That's saying something when you won't let your own child go to the school you teach.

I always refer people to this site School Digger and you can see the ratings of the schools around here. HC elementary and Endeavor (the school my kids go to) have a 4 star rating. MW elementry has a 2 star rating. And even from this site, you can see that out of 383 cities, Kissimmee is ranked at 320 with an overall of 1 star.

I'm not sure about the section 8 thing, but if I were you, esp with 2 kids in school, I'd stay as far away from Kissimmee as possible just for schools. You could try to rent in MW for a while but I wouldn't make that your perm home. HC is your best bet.

Good luck!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM

Nikotroi

Are you only saying to stay away from Kissimmee because of the "not so great" schools? The longest I plan to live in Kissimmee is a year, and then I want to buy a house near Lake Nona.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 AM

174 posts, read 454,973 times
Quote:
Nikotroi

Are you only saying to stay away from Kissimmee because of the "not so great" schools? The longest I plan to live in Kissimmee is a year, and then I want to buy a house near Lake Nona.
I only talked about the school because you stated you have kids. But I would have to say it also depends on where you want to live. We did a short term rental in Kissimmee down by Poinciana and it took my hubby an hour each way to work, and it was only 20 miles away. I grew up in Bushwick Brooklyn NY and many parts there seem just like it was when I growing up, ghetto.

If Lake Nona is your final destination, maybe you can try to rent something out there so you won't have to change schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando