Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 02:57 AM

36 posts, read 83,496 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a single guy relocating to Orlando (new job) and am looking to either rent or buy a condo in the Maitland or Altamonte Springs area. I'd like to keep my rent between $1000 to $1200/month and if I buy my total outlay under $1500/month (so $150K mortgage?). I could afford more but rather not - unless people think it's a better investment to buy bigger (IMO no).

What are my choices? I've heard about Village at Lake Lilly and The Q. What about Bella Terra? Also read up on some scary places so I'd like to have another list of complexes to avoid. Originally, I was looking east of Maitland in Forest City and South Apopka but nothing is appealing there.

I prefer quiet buildings (I lived in a converted warehouse with 5 foot concrete walls - it was awesome) even if they are located in noisy areas. Malls I don't care for, but if traffic is due to restaurants/clubs/theaters I can accept that. Should I expand my search to places like the Vue or units in Lake Mary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The Altamonte Springs/Maitland area is uber-traffic congested due to the mall/strip malls/etc. in the area and would avoid if you're not fond of noisy, congested areas. I live in the Lake Mary area and would recommend it highly. There is now a decent-sized young singles population in the area due in part probably to the congestion in Altamonte and Maitland as well as the significant number of corporate offices now located here. The Colonial TownPark complex at I-4 and 46-A is a nice open-air center with shops, stadium theater, restaurants and bars that's a magnet for young professionals after work and weekend nights.There are some nice apartment complexes nearby in your price range... most notably Pure Living Heathrow, Colonial Grand Lake Mary (brand new) or Legends Lake Mary.

Lake Mary Apartments | Apartments in Lake Mary FL
Legends Lake Mary
Colonial Grand at Lake Mary | Floorplans

Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks!

My only concern living north of my office is the morning traffic into Maitland from Lake Mary. Is it bad? I'm thinking of maybe reverse commuting and living near downtown or winter park or southeast maitland. Is the traffic always bad around those areas?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxelized View Post
Thanks!

My only concern living north of my office is the morning traffic into Maitland from Lake Mary. Is it bad? I'm thinking of maybe reverse commuting and living near downtown or winter park or southeast maitland. Is the traffic always bad around those areas?
No it's not bad commuting from Lake Mary to Maitland, especially if you're moving from someplace where traffic is no doubt much worse. Of the 15 miles, it's nearly all highway travel and takes around 30 minutes at rush hour. A commute from the other areas mentioned would involve more secondary roads which while a shorter distance away would take as much time to travel.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times
I lived downtown for 2 years and commuted to Maitland and it was a generally breeze. I live in Winter Park now and never need to get on I-4 to get to Maitland. I take back roads through old Winter Park on a lower speed limit road with no congestion. Personally I prefer the scenic route over I-4.

That said, in what kind of area do you want to live? Do you like a newer, more suburban area, or do you like something older and a bit more urban? From Maitland and Winter Park to Downtown, it is quite a different feel from Lake Mary. There are more locally owned restaurants and businesses...especially in Winter Park on Park Ave, Fairbanks, and Orange, then you have more variety of nightlife as you get near downtown. Everyone has their preferences, but I would choose this area over any in Orlando.

The Q is very quiet and a well-run apartment complex. My in-laws live there and they like it a lot. The Village is going to be a bit more busy feeling being right on the street and having Lake Lily right there with its weekly farmers market, food truck pod, and festivals.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 PM

I checked these 3 out and Colonial Grand Heathrow today. All of them quite nice, new, and quiet! Pure Living and the new Colonial Grand are slick (hyper-modern) complexes for the young social climbers. But I found their units rather small or oddly shaped although their amenities are top-notch.

I loved the quietness, space, and connected garage of Legends Lake Mary and hope to find something similar in Maitland / Altamonte Springs but I suspect it will cost $1400+ or I will have to rent a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando