Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM

16 posts, read 36,233 times

Advertisements

I searched the forums and opinions are all over the place regarding these high schools. Specifically looking for opinions and feedback from parents who have kids that have gone through the honors/AP coursework... Especially interested in feedback from parents of kids who went to top 10 colleges/universities.

Quality of teachers? Availability of clubs and activities? Support and resources for students for advanced course work? Too much favoritism and grade inflation for kids whose parents donate alot of money at Windermere prep?

Recently, Orange county newsletter released a list of students in Orange County accepted to top 20 universities. Most of the kids were not from these high schools. Cypress Creek Dr. Phillips Winter Park high school led the charge.

Looking for a variety of opinions and experiences. New to Orlando relatively (moved here from the Northeast)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:08 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,515,932 times
Not a parent, but my best friend graduated from Dr. Phillips and will be graduating from Harvard next month. There have been a couple others in the past few years who have gotten into Harvard as well as other Ivy League schools.

What areas of academia does your child want to focus on? There are magnets at each high school that may help them.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
Dr. Phillips and Winter Park in my opinion are the best public schools in Orlando.

West Orange High I've heard only bad things.

Olympia High is still fairly new, it was built in the early 2000s if I remember correctly. I haven't heard any bad things about it, but everyone told us to go with Dr. Phillips, which we did.

Windermere Prep I don't know much about. I never met anyone that attended the school. The best private school in Orlando is Lake Highland Prep.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,107 times
Here's the numbers for the above mentioned list (acceptance to top 20):

Winter Park - 27
Cypress Creek - 21
Boone - 11
Dr. Phillips - 11
Timber Creek - 11
Olympia - 7
Lake Nona - 4
Edgewater - 3
University - 3
Apopka - 2
Freedom - 2
Ocoee - 2
Colonial - 1
Evans - 1
Jones - 1
Wekiva - 1
West Orange - 1

The first 4 school listed are generally considered the best in the area (by parents, test scores, etc.).

Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Unfortunately my choices are only West Orange Olympia and Windermere prep. I probably will rule out West Orange. Still digging for information on Windermere prep

Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM

24,409 posts, read 27,001,341 times
I would go with Olympia High, most depends on the student to be honest. Olympia High is a nice school with decent teachers and extra-curricular activities. Windermere Prep isn't worth the price tag. If you want to go private school, I believe Lake Highland picks up students from all over Orlando. I know one of my neighbors in Dr. Phillips rode the Lake Highland Bus.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeblake View Post
Unfortunately my choices are only West Orange Olympia and Windermere prep. I probably will rule out West Orange. Still digging for information on Windermere prep
If you're willing to drive them to school, they can join a magnet at Dr. Phillips (or any HS for that matter). DP has the Center for International Studies magnet and the Performing and Visual Arts magnet.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Joining a magnet program over will restrict their choice of classes and they will be required to adhere to that program, am I correct? Didn't realize Lake Highland had a bus, will definitely look into it.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeblake View Post
Joining a magnet program over will restrict their choice of classes and they will be required to adhere to that program, am I correct? Didn't realize Lake Highland had a bus, will definitely look into it.
My Harvard friend was in the Center for International Studies magnet and was required to take language classes, but I don't recall anything else being all that restricted. She was still able to take AP and honors classes every year and the program gave her the opportunity to travel abroad.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM

3,954 posts, read 5,083,274 times
Olympia is a very nice school with good options for your child.
Windermere Prep is a good choice if you can afford, but obviously a very different experience from a public school.

West Orange is, low on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando