Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 AM

782 posts, read 1,368,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
I doubt the more than 7,000 homeowners who have purchased in Solivita (in Poinciana) since it began don't share the same extremely harsh opinions about their community.
The problem isn't an individual community (although I've heard plenty of grumpy seniors having issues with the management change at Solivita back in 2012 or so…but truth told, some of these folks are the kind who would complain about a sunny day because they don't like the light). The problem is that even if you have a wonderful home, if you put it surrounded by a bad community, you still have to go out into that community from time to time.

The schools are bad.
The commute to any sort of job is horrible.
There are few options for activities outside of the community walls.
There are few options for dining and shopping.
Crime is bad.

But I will give you that if you ignore all of that, the house looks decent. It would be a great house….to move somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
I doubt the more than 7,000 homeowners who have purchased in Solivita (in Poinciana) since it began don't share the same extremely harsh opinions about their community.

It's an age restricted artificial community for senior citizens...

Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM

19 posts, read 50,348 times
I have chimed in as I have found threads related to Solivita, where I am interested in moving to. I am not and never have been a realtor. I have lived in Osceola COunty (not Poinciana), for almost 20 years. My child was educated here with great success and we work here.

So I found this thread today and let me reply to EditorJul and BrokerHarry, of which I think the truth lies objectively between.

Of course perspective and personal experiences, while valid for your own choices, doesn't always make something so for the majority, be it good or bad. Of course it is about what the individual wants, what they need, what they would trade-off for what is and isn't available.

So let me state what I KNOW is fact.

1) The schools are only as bad as the students are, with many not coming from the best homes, or most supportive of education parents. Great teachers, well maintained and supplied schools, but along with BS criteria pushed on the schools- it comes down to the kids that go there, and where they come from. FACT. If you want to succeed, learn, excel in the schools you not only can, there are those that do, but overall the clientele particularly in the Poinciana area (and some areas in Kissimmee), are not ready or able or willing to make education a priority- again - the families of the kids NOT the school system.
2) The commute to "any sort of job" depends on where you work obviously, and yes there are jobs that way and growing. The hospital in itself coming in did that and will increase, as will schools, other medical and professional offices, that comes with growth. Not ignoring traffic that is bad, but live in Maitland, Altamonte Springs, getting out of Celebration, anywhere in Kissimmee, Heading west from St. Cloud, on I-4 at any random place or time... all can be disasters. I know we didn't take jobs that would have meant traveling up Narcoossee Rd when it was one lane each way, and now look at what it is and Lake Nona. Growth will make for more jobs, and more roads...but it's a matter of can you wait, can you manage until...NOW it IS true that right now Poinciana is a far distance from many things if you like to go to them on a regular basis, but if you're spend the overwhelming majority of your time close to your home, doctors, food shopping, kids in schools, then this distance argument is a bit shallow. I mean how often are you driving to the beach and airport? ANd if you are in Solivita there are a ton of activities/clubs/events within the community.
3)The activities? Again, I get a kick out of people thinking everyone is so incredibly active. But that aside, the number of clubs, pools, state of the art exercise room, walking/biking trails/ golf, events in Solivita really does allow for and why people who move there have no need to venture out. That is why they move there. Same for any 55+ community.
4) No denial at all that there are few options for dining and shopping. All I can say is it is the same for Saint CLoud unless you want to go to fast food. Fact is you have to head up to the Loop now from wherever if you want some choices since 192 in Kissimmee is no longer valid. Shopping? If we are talking food shopping. I wish there was an ALdi that way (maybe it will come), but even Kissimmee and Saint Cloud---your choices for that are otherwise Walmart- Publix (which are in Poinciana), and if you have a winn-dixie. Other shopping? Again the Loop or for misc things Wal-mart. ANd Lowes is close as well. By the way- the distance to shopping of any kind is worse in Celebration AND even the attempts at small markets downtown have failed.
5) "Crime is bad." No one can deny that the element in Poinciana is worse than other places overall. Solivita is clearly a very safe community, but yes you do have to go out. No matter where I am, I do my due diligence in being aware of my surroundings, when I go, where I go. People have broken into homes, killed people, etc IN CELEBRATION. As much as Poinciana? NO. But is it a wild west or drug ghetto or even close (as I don't want to dismiss the higher crime rate in that area comparatively) ?NO

editorjul is right... if you ignore the bad all would seem great, and brokerharry is right, 7,000 residents and more to come, wouldn't if it was sooo bad (generally 55+ have the knowledge to look into all the pitfalls and Solivita, while not a rich community, is farrrrr from a poor one. For the number of homes in there the percentage of foreclosures is extremely low.

FInal note- To the comment it is an "artificial community." You mean like (55 or not places) Celebration? or the Villages? or Champions Gate? or Harmony? or Lake Nona? or .............

Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
To: BrokerHarry
I am also an investor in Poinciana and other areas of Kissimmee, and have been for many years. If you purchased that house, worked on it, and sunk that much money in to it, that it is worth $120,000 completely remodeled and updated, you got ripped off. I purchase homes in there anywhere from $35,000 to $70,000 with very little repair/updates to complete. When I say very little, I mean taking boards off windows and maybe replacing a few, painting, cleaning, and minor repair. The cost is minimal and not much above purchase price.... maybe a few thousand. I also rent them out long term, and get the same amount you do every month. I will make a huge profit if/when I decide to sell any of them, because I purchased them cheap, and had to put very little money in them. Your house isn't worth much more than $120,000!

Old 03-28-2015, 09:35 AM

536 posts, read 852,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Investor View Post
To: BrokerHarry
I am also an investor in Poinciana and other areas of Kissimmee, and have been for many years. If you purchased that house, worked on it, and sunk that much money in to it, that it is worth $120,000 completely remodeled and updated, you got ripped off. I purchase homes in there anywhere from $35,000 to $70,000 with very little repair/updates to complete. When I say very little, I mean taking boards off windows and maybe replacing a few, painting, cleaning, and minor repair. The cost is minimal and not much above purchase price.... maybe a few thousand. I also rent them out long term, and get the same amount you do every month. I will make a huge profit if/when I decide to sell any of them, because I purchased them cheap, and had to put very little money in them. Your house isn't worth much more than $120,000!
I'm a broker here in Florida, as well as in California.

I also have a couple decades previous experience as a general contractor.

I perform many distressed property BPOs in Poinciana & Kissimmee every month.

I know exactly how much the REO, short sale, & arm's length transactions are selling for.

Thank you for your concern regarding my investments. Congratulations on yours.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM

238 posts, read 742,958 times
Poinciana is not a city. It is a Census Designated Place (CDP) because of the amount of people that live in the area.
Poinciana, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poinciana sprawls over two county lines, Osceola County and Polk County. There have been a few movements to incorporate as a city, which would up the price to live there due to projected "City Taxes".

It is a hectic drive to Kissimmee, if you plan on that being your main shopping area. Haines City on the other hand is down the road a piece and a lot easier drive.

Homes are listed at an affordable price and you can check out the former owners and prices by checking the Polk County or Osceola County Property Appraiser's sites. You do want to check the house out well to determine if there is any black mold issues.

Winter Haven, while a bit further in miles from Poinciana than Kissimmee, is a more convenient ride.

If you find a house you like, you can get into Spot Crime and find out about the criminal activity in the area;
http://www.spotcrime.com/us-crime

If you have time, the best thing to do is rent in the area to see if it is a place you'd be satisfied with, rather than making a purchase and 6 months later wanting to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando