Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I’m planning on moving down to the Kissimmee area before the end of the year. I’ve been driving the big stuff since 1988, and been a school bus driver since 2003. So, I’m primarily looking for a job as a bus driver.

The Disney Jobs website says that their bus driver jobs are part time. “This role is Part-Time and requires full availability for any shift, a MINIMUM of THREE (3) days per week, including nights and holidays.”

My questions are:

1. On average, and as a new employee, just how many days/hours a week could I expect?

2. Do Disney Bus Drivers get to move up to full time after a period of employment?

3. Are Disney Bus Drivers permitted to accept tips?

4. Overall, how do you feel about the job and would you recommend it to a friend?

Thank you.

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Definitely no tips involved.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnowill View Post
Hello.

I’m planning on moving down to the Kissimmee area before the end of the year. I’ve been driving the big stuff since 1988, and been a school bus driver since 2003. So, I’m primarily looking for a job as a bus driver.

The Disney Jobs website says that their bus driver jobs are part time. “This role is Part-Time and requires full availability for any shift, a MINIMUM of THREE (3) days per week, including nights and holidays.”

My questions are:

1. On average, and as a new employee, just how many days/hours a week could I expect?

2. Do Disney Bus Drivers get to move up to full time after a period of employment?

3. Are Disney Bus Drivers permitted to accept tips?

4. Overall, how do you feel about the job and would you recommend it to a friend?

Thank you.

Susan
1. Depends on attendance numbers. Anything from one shift to full time.
2. Some do. It depends on the status you are hired at.
3. Absolutely not!
4. It's a lot of responsibility with minimal benefits and the pay is so-so. It's a great p/t job for someone who only wants p/t work. You WILL work every weekend and holiday. There is no option. Time off and schedules are all based on seniority.

You will be driving a well maintained fleet.

You could also look at driving a motorcoach for Mears who operate Disney's Magical Express, the Cruise line buses, and the Mears buses.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 PM

147 posts, read 211,917 times
My sister-in-law is a bus driver at Disney and has been for several years. Based on what I've heard her say...
1. They are needing bus drivers pretty badly right now, so I could not imagine getting hours would be an issue. However, when attendance goes down in months like September, there may be some cut backs. You always have the opportunity to pick up shifts from other drivers who need time off. So if you are diligent, you can likely get some decent hours. However, because of benefits, there are some limitations on the number of hours you can work. You cannot work more than 24 hours 28 weeks of the year. So if you go all year working 30 hours, once you hit that 28th week, they will block you from getting hours. However, you can work this, you just have to be diligent. For example, you might be able to get 42 hours one week, then 24 the next and then 42 again. You can balance out your month if you plan accordingly.
2. She started part-time and moved to full-time.. In her case, that happened pretty quickly. You just have to watch for open positions and apply for them. I would recommend you be sure you are hired in as a part-time, not seasonal employee. There is a slim chance if you ask for full-time at your interview, you MIGHT get it. It just depends on what is available at the time. As a part-time employee, you will likely not have the most desirable schedule. If you do go full time, the shifts are done through a bid process. So you would bid on your desired schedule and if you are awarded that bid, your schedule would be pretty much static until time to bid again. There is a chance you might get pulled in a normally scheduled day off if they are super busy and don't have enough seasonal and part-timers to cover.
3. They are not supposed to accept tips
4. My sister-in-law likes her job mainly because she loves meeting and talking to people from all over the world. It is not something pay wise that would sustain your family though if you are the breadwinner. However, if you need benefits, WDW does offer great benefits to their full time employees.

I'm sure she would not mind speaking to you if you wanted me to have her call or email you. Just message me.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSellingFLHomes View Post
My sister-in-law is a bus driver at Disney and has been for several years. Based on what I've heard her say...
1. They are needing bus drivers pretty badly right now, so I could not imagine getting hours would be an issue. However, when attendance goes down in months like September, there may be some cut backs. You always have the opportunity to pick up shifts from other drivers who need time off. So if you are diligent, you can likely get some decent hours. However, because of benefits, there are some limitations on the number of hours you can work. You cannot work more than 24 hours 28 weeks of the year. So if you go all year working 30 hours, once you hit that 28th week, they will block you from getting hours. However, you can work this, you just have to be diligent. For example, you might be able to get 42 hours one week, then 24 the next and then 42 again. You can balance out your month if you plan accordingly.
Not true on the number of weeks. That would be if you are a seasonal, not P/T, which is why I mentioned the status one is hired at being important.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Actually Annerk it is. My daughter works there is is part-time not seasonal. That information came straight from her. Seasonal people typically don't work enough for that to ever be an issue.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSellingFLHomes View Post
Actually Annerk it is. My daughter works there is is part-time not seasonal. That information came straight from her. Seasonal people typically don't work enough for that to ever be an issue.
I think you are mistaken. With p/t it is hours, not weeks. I verified this with a neighbor who is a VP in HR there.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM

Sounds like the VP isn't in the trenches enough to know the rules since ObamaCare kicked in.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,431 times
Default Polk city driver

I am very interested in becoming a disney driver. I was told that i would have 2 weeks to get my cdl. If there is 6 weeks of training how do you have time to do this? Where do you go for the training? I would like to talk to someone that had to do this so i know if i am wasting time.
Thank you

Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
my neighbor is long time driver I do know he makes O/T I don't ask him much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando