Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,813 times

Advertisements

Go to the beach......there are only a few sharks........I mean few hundred sharks less than 100" yards off shore all up,and down the coast. Buddy of mine flys choppers to report on shark behavior, safety, etc....he said people knew what was out there close to where they are trying to "catch a break"', they would freak out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,813 times
You can also check out the shark tracker....there's a female great white that feed from the Boca to Jax area....16 footer.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,181,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
No, not really. Pretty much the only one's you MIGHT see would be garden snakes. Black racers are particularly big and fast, and might frighten you if you see them, but they are completely harmless.

It's a shame, the lighthouse at Lake Dora used to be home to a pair of large, unusually friendly geese. Someone stole them. They used to run up from the shore to the pavement and greet visitors.
Um, we do have some venomous land snakes like pygmy rattlers( thinner than your little finger sometimes and usually less than 12 inches long that kids sometimes think are worms and try to pick up), rattle snakes, coral snakes that could be in yards, flower gardens, and near water, too. You won't usually see them , but they are still out there and every once in a blue moon someone does encounter one in a not too friendly way.

http://myfwc.com/media/1321792/Guide...akes_in_FL.pdf

Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
That's what I would do,no gators at Aquatica or Typhoon Lagoon.The springs in Florida are also not gator free,you have to be wary of them in any body of water.Remember what Momma said,"gators are so angry cause they got all them teeth and no toothbrush".
Well, have to say most of the time the tourists don't see the gators. CMs in the park arrive early and inspect every slide, waterway, pond, etc. to make sure they are free of wildlife. If there is a gator, the gator crew is called in. If a snake makes it in during the day, my son has even had to retrieve them from the water while people are screaming at him to kill them. They remove and relocate they do not kill them.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Go to the springs.
Rock Springs is close by.
Silver Springs is another nice one, but it's a bit of a hike.

Those two are very safe waterways for gator/snake-free swimming.
But you want to stay in the area where there are more people. A woman even got bit in Wekiva last year.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I would think Rock Springs is too cold and crowded for reptiles? I may be wrong, but it would seem odd to see one in there.
I don't know if too cold, but have even seen a gator in the cooler ocean water.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There are also pygmy rattlesnakes that like to hang out in landscaping but they generally don't want to mess with something as big as a human (snakes in general save for the giant species usually don't) If you're in an area with a lot of plants and shrubbery, don't let the small human grab a flower or palm frond without eyeballing the area yourself first, and stomping as you walk through a garden area lets the snakes know you're nearby so they can slither away safely for everyone.
When I work in the flower garden, I ususally use a rake to rake around all the plants figuring I will scare away any snakes. I am a big chicken. Right now we have a mdium sized black snake calling our backyard home.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
I came across a harmless black snake in my yard and tried to catch it, but it slipped through my hands. I went swimming in our lake with my dogs and some friends yesterday and no gators. However, I wouldn't swim in most lakes in Florida.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Traveller View Post
And if anyone could also answer where we can safely go swimming in the area, that would be great too

sorry do not recommend lake swimming in FL anymore too to too much bacteria- maybe in those cold springs by Ocala? - sorry- stick to a pool or get the baby a wade pool for $10 -- there is one thing I will add many people get immune to the bacteria living here - visitors not in a week

Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
When I work in the flower garden, I ususally use a rake to rake around all the plants figuring I will scare away any snakes. I am a big chicken. Right now we have a mdium sized black snake calling our backyard home.
yea I have a black snake- filled its hole maybe will go visit the neighbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando