Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM

23 posts, read 29,316 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I think I have found a few new home builders that have floor plans that would meet my needs/budget in the areas of Winter Garden/Oviedo Dose any one have any information or experiences they would like to share in regards to the reputation of Meritage Homes or Khov. Please be blunt.

Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:08 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times
Does it need to be a newly built home? There are very FEW neighborhoods in this area that are still under development, the majority of the neighborhoods in Oviedo/WS are already 100% complete. There are plenty of beautiful homes in great neighborhoods listed for sale, you could even find a realtor to help you with your search, why don't you start there first?

Old 04-14-2015, 09:18 PM

7 posts, read 9,316 times
There are tons of new construction neighborhoods in winter garden. We're building a home right now with Ryland homes but in The neighborhood there are ryan homes, kb homes, lennar, Taylor Morrison, Ashton , and a couple others. Unfortunately Ihave no experience with the two builders you mentioned. I've heard good things about merit age though

Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 9,316 times
Just noticed you said winter garden/Oviedo ... This two neighborhoods aren't close to each other. Did you mean winter garden/ocoee? Those are neighboring neighborhoods. Also winter springs and Oviedo are neighbors. Or did you actually mean what you said of Winter garden and Oviedo?

Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Both are production builders. KHov has two divisions, mass market and luxury homes. I don't believe the luxury side of the company operates in Florida. They are both fine, there are better, there are worse. You'll find people who love them and people who despise them. My advice is to use an attorney to represent you and get EVERYTHING in writing.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My advice is to use an attorney to represent you and get EVERYTHING in writing.
Certainly, getting everything in writing is of paramount importance.

But advising a new home buyer in Florida to hire an attorney to represent them in the transaction is one of the more paranoid & misguided statements I've heard.

An attorney is not going to get to write the contract in a new home purchase from a major builder. You either sign the builder's proprietary paperwork...or you don't get the house.

An attorney is not going to be up to date on the latest comps. The attorney doesn't know if you're overpaying. The attorney isn't a member of the local MLS. The attorney doesn't know what else is on the market nearby. The attorney doesn't know what incentives are being offered by competing builders.

That's why you hire a Realtor or Broker to represent you in a new home purchase transaction when you're a buyer in Florida, & most other states. And it doesn't cost you anything, because most Florida new home builders will pay the broker's fee, unlike the attorney's.

Once the contract is executed, there is no substitute for the buyer to make frequent inspection of the construction during the entire process. The attorney is not going to do that for you, either.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
Certainly, getting everything in writing is of paramount importance.

But advising a new home buyer in Florida to hire an attorney to represent them in the transaction is one of the more paranoid & misguided statements I've heard.

An attorney is not going to get to write the contract in a new home purchase from a major builder. You either sign the builder's proprietary paperwork...or you don't get the house.

An attorney is not going to be up to date on the latest comps. The attorney doesn't know if you're overpaying. The attorney isn't a member of the local MLS. The attorney doesn't know what else is on the market nearby. The attorney doesn't know what incentives are being offered by competing builders.

That's why you hire a Realtor or Broker to represent you in a new home purchase transaction when you're a buyer in Florida, & most other states. And it doesn't cost you anything, because most Florida new home builders will pay the broker's fee, unlike the attorney's.

Once the contract is executed, there is no substitute for the buyer to make frequent inspection of the construction during the entire process. The attorney is not going to do that for you, either.
If the buyer hasn't done their due diligence to see what else is for sale in the area they are considering, then shame on them. As far as comps go--with new construction they are useless. The bank isn't going to make the loan if the appraisal doesn't come in.

We hired an attorney and a licensed property inspector to do inspections when we built our house. The bank didn't release the next draw until both OUR inspector and THEIR inspector signed off on the work. Their inspector represented their interests, but wasn't looking for outlets put in a different place than the plans called for, etc. A real estate agent is not a lawyer, even though some obviously like to try to pass themselves off as one.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM

536 posts, read 853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A real estate agent is not a lawyer, even though some obviously like to try to pass themselves off as one.
I know what ya mean, annerk!

Some people think consulting for a vineyard, or a trucking company, or freelancing, or being in retail sales & marketing makes them literally the definitive expert on everything!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
I know what ya mean, annerk!

Some people think consulting for a vineyard, or a trucking company, or freelancing, or being in retail sales & marketing makes them literally the definitive expert on everything!
If that's supposed to be a jab at me I'm laughing at you. I don't consult for a vineyard or a trucking company. I'm also not in retail sales. I do a little freelancing, haven't in some time. So either you are talking about someone else, or you are very wrong about what I do for a living.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:24 PM

626 posts, read 976,575 times
Taylor Morrison was voted the no. 1 best builder in the US last year. I LOVE their homes. We've had Beazer and Lennar homes and were very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando