Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 AM

189 posts, read 436,365 times

Advertisements

Gayest Cities in America, 2012

Gayest Cities in America | Travel | The Advocate

The Advocate, a gay-oriented magazine, in the last few years has mentioned Orlando several time on their "Gayest Cities in America" lists using a long list quirky criteria. They mention the clear obvious places such as Chelsea, West Hollwood, Boystown, and Provincetown with their long histories of gay culture and safe havens, but they note "the per capita queerness of some less expected locales."

What do you think? I'm gay myself, raised in Orlando and out to family and friends. I've met many gays that are more comfortable here than many other cities they come from in other areas of the U.S. Even though Orlando does not have a "gayborhood" or "gay ghetto", the gays I've spoken to like that every one lives mixed in throughout the neighborhoods.

Just wondering what people think out of pure curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Good stuff to throw at those people that insist Orlando is some backwards, southern city

Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Orlando has long had that tradition (much like Las Vegas), as the hospitality industry is of course known for having a high proportion of gays and lesbians. It's definitely a much younger demographic than other cities with a higher density gay population.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Well with the city adopting the domestic partner registry, openly gay politicians who seem to be pretty popular and openly embracing Gay events I think Orlando is fairly Gay friendly, especially for a southern major city. Although I do agree, the Gay population here tends to be much younger than other gay enclaves.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Plus you have "Gay Days" at Disney

Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lr5497 View Post
Gayest Cities in America, 2012

Gayest Cities in America | Travel | The Advocate

The Advocate, a gay-oriented magazine, in the last few years has mentioned Orlando several time on their "Gayest Cities in America" lists using a long list quirky criteria. They mention the clear obvious places such as Chelsea, West Hollwood, Boystown, and Provincetown with their long histories of gay culture and safe havens, but they note "the per capita queerness of some less expected locales."

What do you think? I'm gay myself, raised in Orlando and out to family and friends. I've met many gays that are more comfortable here than many other cities they come from in other areas of the U.S. Even though Orlando does not have a "gayborhood" or "gay ghetto", the gays I've spoken to like that every one lives mixed in throughout the neighborhoods.

Just wondering what people think out of pure curiosity.
Try reading the actual article and the comments on it, they're pretty telling.

For example Vancouver, WA (a redneck town on the WA/OR border) is ranked higher than San Francisco.

Orlando has no gay neighhorhoods like Houston's Montrose Section or San Diego's North Park.

There are also several comments from gay Orlando residents who find this article amusing and not true.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM

55 posts, read 80,962 times
So which is the gayest state in US. I say CA

Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,206,327 times
Damn this sucks.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Try reading the actual article and the comments on it, they're pretty telling.

For example Vancouver, WA (a redneck town on the WA/OR border) is ranked higher than San Francisco.

Orlando has no gay neighhorhoods like Houston's Montrose Section or San Diego's North Park.

There are also several comments from gay Orlando residents who find this article amusing and not true.
LOL, I had no idea it involved the cities it did. I was thinking it was less known second-tier cities being ranked. Orlando is #2 ahead of Fort Lauderdale, Atlanta, Cambridge/Boston, Denver, Minneapolis/St Paul, Seattle and Portland....??? As a gay male I find that hysterical at best. The rankings are based on per capita numbers which gives Orlando the advantage being so tiny in comparison with it's population of 238,000. Since Orlando doesn't have a gay neighborhood, to suggest that most if not all gay residents are within the 238,000 is a bit of a leap since the metro area sprawl consists of 2,000,000 people. Utilizing those numbers we're surely among the least gay metro areas in the country. Accurate methodology is contingent upon logic and it surely doesn't work here.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 AM

492 posts, read 1,025,672 times
Actually, the last actual numbers I saw placed Orlando at 10th in the country as far as percentage of gay population and at 36th for total number of gays. I've seen mentioned that those numbers (and percentage) are now higher, but I could not find an updated official number.

In addition to that, Orlando is equal with many of the cities mentioned re gay rights, etc., and Orlando is home to the Parliament House (largest gay entertainment complex in the world) and Gay Days (one of the biggest and best gay events in the world). The city has gay leaders and a good number of gay clubs/bars/restaurants... even compared to Philly and other very large cities (ESP for the size of the population).

And, while it is true that Orlando has no real gayborhood, the city has many areas where gays are concentrated. Plus, many gays like feeling free to live anywhere vs being most comfortable in one specific neighborhood.

So, hysterical - no way. I disagree. And I find it hard to argue with Orlando landing a top spot in many of these things over the last 5 years or so... not just the ones done by the Advocate.

Should it be ranked #2? I don't agree with that... but in the top 10... sure.

And keep in mind, some of the more gay cities out there, like Philly and San Fran, are becoming LESS gay as people move away and look for something new. And the laws and rights that once put them ahead are now common. They are sinking in the polls just as much as these other cities (orlando inc) are climbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando