Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:27 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,559 times

Advertisements

Flew into Orlando yesterday,and am really surprised at all the tolls. On 417 I paid the toll than not 10 miles latter had to pay a toll again. I have never heard of paying tolls multiple times on the same road. I had to pay another toll on my exit. I mentioned it to the hotel worker and she told me "Welcome to Florida" he always warns her friends when the visit to bring quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 05:51 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Being a state with a lot of growth in recent years, which is also a time of budget cutbacks due to a lengthy recession the only alternative for highway construction is toll roads. In terms of multiple toll locations it's a necessity on a multi-exit thruway where people aren't driving from one end to the other, like the Florida Turnpike for instance. The better Rental Car agencies typically provide an EZ Pass apparatus which allows for not having to stop at varying toll booths, and bills to your rental car statement. Florida does not collect a state income tax and with decreased revenue from state income tax, where exactly is the money supposed to appear from? I always get a chuckle out of the entitled who think everything should be for free....

Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,559 times
Thanks for explaining that to me. I don't really appreciate the comment about being entitled. I am not one of those people with "Entitlement" mentality. I thought I had a valid question on why there was multiple on the same road. That was new to me.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
It also depends where in Orlando you live or traveling. The only times I paid for tolls was going to the airport, otherwise I could get everywhere I wanted to go via I-4 or local roads from Dr. Phillips area.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
Flew into Orlando yesterday,and am really surprised at all the tolls. On 417 I paid the toll than not 10 miles latter had to pay a toll again. I have never heard of paying tolls multiple times on the same road. I had to pay another toll on my exit. I mentioned it to the hotel worker and she told me "Welcome to Florida" he always warns her friends when the visit to bring quarters.
You've obviously not traveled much. Many areas have multiple tolls on one road instead of clocking in and paying a single (equally apportioned) toll at the end. I assure you, this is not just a Florida thing.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:54 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,981 times
Orlando is still getting off easy,come down to Miami where its getting to the point where every highway has or is getting tolls.Also no more quarters,its sunpass or they send you a bill to your house for more than the sunpass rate.They've also put multiple toll gates so you can't get away with getting on the expressway past the toll,for example 5 years ago there was one toll located at like 140th street so I could just get on the expressway at 104th and avoid all tolls.Today there's one at 140th,one at 100th,one at 70th,etc...each are .25 with sunpass or .40 without it.The turnpike also has several tolls with only a few miles between.Just about a year ago they were .75 with sunpass and then went up to 1.00 and for whatever reason now like every 4 months they increase it by 2 pennies so right now its at 1.04,does anyone know what that's all about.The ones that I dont normally have to deal with since theyre in highways I don't normally drive are the ones that have sunpass express lanes like in I-95 or I-595 which have these lanes that move faster than the other ones since youre getting charged.The crazy thing is that they change how much you're getting charged based on the traffic so if the highway is flowing perfect the express lanes are .25 or .50,if the lanes are slow the express lanes shoot up to 1.50 or 2.00,if theres an accident totally stopping traffic I've heard they might go to 4-5 dollars.The big point is that there's no getting around them,its an extra cost of driving in Florida.I consider myself a decent spender except when it comes to tolls where I am cheap so for example I visit Orlando pretty frequently and for the last couple of years I've avoided the around $40 round trip tolls on the turnpike by taking US 27,yes it takes 30-40 minutes longer but its less boring and I'm not shelling out the extra money.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:22 AM

148 posts, read 183,156 times
I think Florida has so many tolls along a road that it sticks in your mind. I can' remember other places with multiple toll roads I've been on but I imagine I've been on plenty.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Thanks for explaining that to me. I don't really appreciate the comment about being entitled. I am not one of those people with "Entitlement" mentality. I thought I had a valid question on why there was multiple on the same road. That was new to me.
Sorry, I apologize....there are so many like that here and it's become habit-forming rhetoric since Florida is a favorite transplant destination of those adverse to paying taxes and expecting "the world for free".

Old 12-04-2014, 12:09 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Ny?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:46 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
10 miles!? There are parts on our toll roads here where you're tolled for going less than 3 miles between two booths.

Orlando has some sucky tolls but decent roads.

Soon they'll stop building the new roads and these tolls will hopefully remain at this price for a long while, until the point it doesn't seem so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando