Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:24 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you look at median housing values, DP, winter park, Windermere, and lately, lake Nona, will be much higher than Oviedo I am guessing. Iincome doesn't correlate I guess
There is no question, communities like Winter Park and Dr. Phillips are on a higher level than places like Oviedo and Avalon Park in terms of desirability. The rent and house prices reflect that.

There is nothing wrong with places like Oviedo, it's very safe and has A schools. However, it doesn't have much else to increase desirability from lack of restaurants, shopping, proximity to attractions, uniqueness, etc and that is why your money goes a lot further there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 03:15 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Zip Code 32814, draw a circle around it. This is Baldwin Park, expensive, but great location and close to the airport. I like Maitland but they seem to always have flooding and loss of power during hurricanes. There are some really nice homes there but older which not a big deal if you look closely. There is a new massive home project coming up on Howell Branch Road. 700 homes. Lots of homes to pick and choose here in Orlando. Renting for a while is a great idea and gives you a chance to check out different areas.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is no question, communities like Winter Park and Dr. Phillips are on a higher level than places like Oviedo and Avalon Park in terms of desirability.
Interestingly enough there is a sliding scale for "desirability" and factors you deem as crucial may not be for others. So in the end, yes there is a question..

Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[quote=totsuka;51826490 I like Maitland but they seem to always have flooding and loss of power during hurricanes. [/QUOTE]

Yep, only in Maitland.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 48,507 times
The reason I had discounted Dr. Phillips was their Middle school? I understand they are getting a new high school by the time my kids will be in school. But, Southwest Middle school was ranked 5/10 on great schools and only 3 stars on School Digger. What is going on with that school?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ510 View Post
The reason I had discounted Dr. Phillips was their Middle school? I understand they are getting a new high school by the time my kids will be in school. But, Southwest Middle school was ranked 5/10 on great schools and only 3 stars on School Digger. What is going on with that school?
Essentially, the student demographics changed over time. Oviedo and Windermere for example are mostly White students from high income families. I don't know if anything fundamentally changed within Southwest, but like Dr. Phillips High, it used to get pretty great scores, but as the demographics changed from zoning changes, scores have suffered.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 05-07-2018 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would add Dr. Phillips to your list since your budget is $550k. I live here and really like it. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods you can get into. My personal favorite is Phillips Landing, but there are a lot of nice ones.

I see one listing in the good part of Winter Park that's in your budget, but yes, you're pretty much priced out. Maitland is a viable option, but it wouldn't be my top choice.

Check out the area AROUND Downtown Windermere. The trees there are gorgeous, it's also safe with good schools too. You can look along Chase Road as well like Keene's Pointe.

I would avoid Oviedo since your budget is $550k. It's better for families on a smaller budget who can't afford Winter Park, Windermere, Dr. Phillips, etc but still want safety and good schools.

I'd also recommend "new" Windermere as well. If you don't mind being further out, it will have a lot of good options for you. Stay not too far from Winter Garden Vineland Rd.

Based on your criteria, Dr. Phillips or Windermere would be the best choice in my opinion.

The Winter Garden area does seem more affordable. What neighborhoods are best in that area? Schools?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If you look at median housing values, DP, winter park, Windermere, and lately, lake Nona, will be much higher than Oviedo I am guessing. Iincome doesn't correlate I guess
Should I take a look at Lake Nona as well? What are the pros/cons of that area for families?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Zip Code 32814, draw a circle around it. This is Baldwin Park, expensive, but great location and close to the airport. I like Maitland but they seem to always have flooding and loss of power during hurricanes. There are some really nice homes there but older which not a big deal if you look closely. There is a new massive home project coming up on Howell Branch Road. 700 homes. Lots of homes to pick and choose here in Orlando. Renting for a while is a great idea and gives you a chance to check out different areas.

I will definitely look at Baldwin Park. Is it hard to get to Florida's turnpike from Baldwin Park?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ510 View Post
The Winter Garden area does seem more affordable. What neighborhoods are best in that area? Schools?
The border of windermere, check the schools zoned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando