Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,964 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’m sorry for another relocation question, but I couldn’t find one to my specific situation. So here we go....

Husband recruited for a job in Orlando. Moving in October. He will be working in millenia. Our kids are 3 and 6 months. Most important thing is the school system, followed by his commute time. Looking for an area where we can spend 500k on a house and be in a gated community with a pool and other amenities. I think I’d be able to meet other families that way. I would love a walkable downtown with great food too. Clean and safe. Suggestions?!?

A million thank yous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:35 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
I’d recommend Dr. Phillips- great schools, close to Millenia, very family-oriented and well kept area. Lots of grocery stores and restaurants. Plenty of gated and non-gated communities to look at. I’d also look at nearby Windermere.

Walkable downtown areas would be Winter Park and Winter Garden.. to a lesser degree, Thornton Park, College Park, and Audubon Park. Most of these areas won’t have gated communities within walking distance, however.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:39 PM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I’d recommend Dr. Phillips- great schools, close to Millenia, very family-oriented and well kept area. Lots of grocery stores and restaurants. Plenty of gated and non-gated communities to look at. I’d also look at nearby Windermere.

Walkable downtown areas would be Winter Park and Winter Garden.. to a lesser degree, Thornton Park, College Park, and Audubon Park. Most of these areas won’t have gated communities within walking distance, however.
I'll add Baldwin Park to the mix. Easily one of those largest and most walkable areas outside of downtown and Winter Park. I wish the rest of Orlando would follow suit in building denser, mid-high class, walkable areas like this.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bduda View Post
Hi all! I’m sorry for another relocation question, but I couldn’t find one to my specific situation. So here we go....

Husband recruited for a job in Orlando. Moving in October. He will be working in millenia. Our kids are 3 and 6 months. Most important thing is the school system, followed by his commute time. Looking for an area where we can spend 500k on a house and be in a gated community with a pool and other amenities. I think I’d be able to meet other families that way. I would love a walkable downtown with great food too. Clean and safe. Suggestions?!?

A million thank yous!

Walkable and gated amenity HOAs generally don't go together... you have to choose one or the other.

Commute to Millenia...

Walkable, Safe, Good Schools = Winter Park, Baldwin Park

Gated, Safe, Good Schools = Windermere, Dr. Phillips

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about safety in most of Winter Park or Baldwin Park. I think you should see which area and houses fit your preferences instead.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Would 500k be enough in those areas? I’ve looked a little online but it’s hard to really tell.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Also, what’s the story on winter garden? I’ve heard the downtown is nice.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:11 PM

491 posts, read 518,925 times
Quote:
That's a good option. Good schools, I hear that downtown WG is coming up. Your money will go very far there. Dr. Phillips is your closest best location. $500k will still get you a nice house there.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:14 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Quote:
I love downtown Winter Garden but there are neighborhoods around that area that are pretty rough. The town has come a long way in the past few years but I still don’t think the surrounding area is all that great. The general rule is to stay south of SR 50 (West Colonial).

$500k is enough to get you into Dr. Phillips or Windermere, which is close enough to WG to enjoy it when you want to.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:27 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Would 500k be enough in those areas? I’ve looked a little online but it’s hard to really tell.

Quote:

Yes, $500k is enough for most parts of Dr. Phillips.

Winter Garden similar to Windermere has an old section and a new section. The old section is where the downtown is... it's a very cute little downtown. They have a farmers market every Saturday and they have a food hall called Plant Street Market. There is a nice bike trail called the W. Orange Trail as well that goes right through downtown. I love hiking the boardwalk trail that goes to Lake Apopka from Oakland Preserve. The surrounding area of downtown is spotty though and schools aren't good (elementary and middle). If schools weren't important, this part of Winter Garden would be worth considering. The new part of Winter Garden that borders Windermere is nice and has good schools, but it does feel a bit isolated. Real estate is definitely cheaper here.

If you want to have a lot of city amenties nearby, go with Dr. Phillips. If you don't care about driving 20 minutes to go places, than the new part of Winter Garden or the new part of Windermere is good. $500k will also give you some options near downtown Windermere, which has good schools and also an easy commute to Millenia, but it's more expensive for you get compared to Dr. Phillips and is not the typical gated HOA community.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:00 AM

210 posts, read 271,331 times
I'd also look at Maitland where it borders winter park. The Dommerich school has a VERY tight knit PTA, top-rated, great parent involvement, safe neighborhoods and close community feel. Not gated but very close on some streets to Winter Park's park ave.

Another school district to consider is the new Audubon Park k-8. Brand new school with a very active parent population. Well funded because it has 32789 homes in its zone but the district also covers more affordable parts of Winter Park, Rose Isle and Colonialtown.

All relatively easy commute to millennia since it's a reverse direction. Downtown might get a little dicey just because it's I-4 but I can make it to the mall from winter park in around 20 minutes. I've made it in less on the way back when late to pick up my kids. But I don't recommend that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando