Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a better overall place to live?
DeBary 6 42.86%
Sanford 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:56 PM

747 posts, read 497,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It has everything to do with demographics and you know it, regardless of your ethnicity.
Again, I don’t know why you’re making this about race. It 100% doesn’t have to do with race but whatever helps you convince yourself you didn’t lose this argument and that Sanford isn’t on the same level of Kissimmee, Poinciana, Christmas, or Deltona Not terrible places by any stretch, but holistically, not desirable at all.

Quote:
The household income argument is not weak, and you know it doesn't tell the whole story which is no doubt why you latched on to it.
It’s only weak because you can’t refute it, which makes you angry. Let me take a page from your book: if Sanford didn’t have that small enclave of the exorbitantly wealthy, household income would be EVEN LOWER than it already embarrassingly is.

Quote:
I may be a homer but at least I'm not a troll jumping on an old stereotype to make yourself feel better over where you've chosen to live and creating a poll to make yourself sleep better at night. Inadequacies?
? Poll? Not sure what you’re talking about. Also, I live in Charlotte, so what inadequacies are you referring to? I lived in Orlando for parts of 6 years and am very familiar with Sanford. I’ve said this repeatedly: it certainly has nice spots but it’s a primarily a hole. Whenever someone talks bad about Sanford, you immediately jump on them and get butthurt. Sorry, but the place sucks. It is what it is.

Quote:
I can be objective about Sanford which very much has it's problems that include a sizable impoverished population that's very segregated from the rest of the city both figuratively and economically. There's also a significant but declining old boys network that has kept the city from progress versus neighboring Lake Mary, however that margin is narrowing. Sanford's "bad reputation" comes from people like yourself who while not racist supposedly (by the way that's not exclusive to White folks) can't help themselves from publicly posting the load of BS you're spouting in this thread.
I disagree. I’d say the nice areas are what’s segregated from the rest of the city. Let’s not pretend that Sanford is majority nice, clean, and wealthy with a bad side. No, it’s mostly ugly, old, and rundown, but it has a few very nice areas. Immediately surrounding the entire downtown area is the hood. Sanford’s bad reputation comes from that, its high crime rate, and low income, not from “people like me.”

Quote:
DeBary is a little backwater Volusia County bedroom community with no downtown, no history and nothing to do. Sanford has history, a thriving downtown, plenty to do and people who drive in from all over to enjoy it daily.
Backwater huh? So who’s being racist now? Sanford has a great downtown and the waterfront is among the best in Florida. I never argued against this. You were just so quick to take offense that you immediately attacked me personally for some odd reason. You might need to work on being less sensitive.

Quote:
Stick to your little vanilla-soulless town and leave the commentary up to people who have an educated/real-life view of reality.
Lol more attacks. Why? Grow up and move if you don’t like people regarding Sanford as a dump. If not, suck it up and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 02:25 PM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post

It’s sort of amusing how it seems you go out of your way to denigrate Orlando and Florida in general, yet I’ve never seen you say a negative thing about Sanford, made famous for Trayvon Martin, and outside of a few very nice areas, is kind of hood and run-down. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got some things going for it, but DeBary would be a MUCH better option between the two. It’s much safer, nicer, newer, and wealthier.
Sanford, pft, Trevon Martin all the way back to Jackie Robinson... nothing at all has changed there in all this time. IF you are a racist Trump supporter, you will get along fine there, if you are not, I'd look elsewhere.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:27 PM

well said, Sanford is not a very nice place to live if you are not white.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
It has everything to do with demographics and you know it, regardless of your ethnicity. The household income argument is not weak, and you know it doesn't tell the whole story which is no doubt why you latched on to it. I may be a homer but at least I'm not a troll jumping on an old stereotype to make yourself feel better over where you've chosen to live and creating a poll to make yourself sleep better at night. Inadequacies? I can be objective about Sanford which very much has it's problems that include a sizable impoverished population that's very segregated from the rest of the city both figuratively and economically. There's also a significant but declining old boys network that has kept the city from progress versus neighboring Lake Mary, however that margin is narrowing. Sanford's "bad reputation" comes from people like yourself who while not racist supposedly (by the way that's not exclusive to White folks) can't help themselves from publicly posting the load of BS you're spouting in this thread. DeBary is a little backwater Volusia County bedroom community with no downtown, no history and nothing to do. Sanford has history, a thriving downtown, plenty to do and people who drive in from all over to enjoy it daily. Stick to your little vanilla-soulless town and leave the commentary up to people who have an educated/real-life view of reality.
OK, so, if I may... He is being pretty accurate , using facts, math and income medians, and not prejudice. You seem to be objecting a bit much. Maybe take a deep breath and give that a think?

Old 12-09-2020, 07:00 PM

332 posts, read 217,830 times
I just looked up some stats, and it appears that DeBary is better than Sanford by every metric.

CRIME

DeBary: Safer than 41% of U.S. Cities
Sanford: Safer than 7% of U.S. Cities

POVERTY RATE

DeBary: 10.7%
Sanford: 19.4%

PER CAPITA INCOME

DeBary: $30.2k
Sanford: $22.0k

HOME VALUE

DeBary: $244k
Sanford: $193k

COLLEGE GRAD

DeBary: 27.9%
Sanford: 23.0%

Old 12-10-2020, 07:09 AM

28 posts, read 27,243 times
Are there nice parts of Sanford outside of the core downtown? Legitimate question. I've never been anywhere except the riverwalk and some of the cool downtown bars/restaurants.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:25 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichetucknee View Post
Are there nice parts of Sanford outside of the core downtown? Legitimate question. I've never been anywhere except the riverwalk and some of the cool downtown bars/restaurants.
Yes... The entire Western portion (West of I4) along International Parkway, Markham Woods Rd/Markham Rd, as well as Sylvan Lake, and Lake Forest.
Some of the wealthiest parts of Central Florida are in... Sanford.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 AM

764 posts, read 392,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
Sanford, pft, Trevon Martin all the way back to Jackie Robinson... nothing at all has changed there in all this time. IF you are a racist Trump supporter, you will get along fine there, if you are not, I'd look elsewhere.
Trump supporter are NOT racist! Quit that BS, it gets mighty old.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:37 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Of those two I'd pick West Sanford. but would prefer Longwood or lake Mary over that. Debary is a bit too country for my tastes. Sanford has some of the worse schools in FL.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:13 AM

237 posts, read 283,485 times
Deltona vs. Sanford would be a better comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando