Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a better overall place to live?
DeBary 6 42.86%
Sanford 8 57.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:21 PM

332 posts, read 219,820 times

Advertisements

Which city is a better overall place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 05:39 AM

27,238 posts, read 44,210,944 times
Sanford has a lot more going on with a revitalized downtown people come from all over to experience, a beautiful historic district, lots of entertainment options across town (restaurants, bars), very nice upscale neighborhoods on the west and southeast sides, very good to excellent public schools and a significant retail sector for shopping. Debary is kind of sleepy overall and features little of what was previously mentioned.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:00 AM

747 posts, read 502,190 times
DeBary.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sanford has a lot more going on with a revitalized downtown people come from all over to experience, a beautiful historic district, lots of entertainment options across town (restaurants, bars), very nice upscale neighborhoods on the west and southeast sides, very good to excellent public schools and a significant retail sector for shopping. Debary is kind of sleepy overall and features little of what was previously mentioned.

It’s sort of amusing how it seems you go out of your way to denigrate Orlando and Florida in general, yet I’ve never seen you say a negative thing about Sanford, made famous for Trayvon Martin, and outside of a few very nice areas, is kind of hood and run-down. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got some things going for it, but DeBary would be a MUCH better option between the two. It’s much safer, nicer, newer, and wealthier.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:43 AM

17,565 posts, read 15,657,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post

It’s sort of amusing how it seems you go out of your way to denigrate Orlando and Florida in general, yet I’ve never seen you say a negative thing about Sanford, made famous for Trayvon Martin, and outside of a few very nice areas, is kind of hood and run-down. Don’t get me wrong, it’s got some things going for it, but DeBary would be a MUCH better option between the two. It’s much safer, nicer, newer, and wealthier.
Depends... West Sanford is considerably wealthier, nicer (opinion here,) and safer than anything in DeBary.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...e%22%3Atrue%7D
Scroll around West Sanford shown here, and then go up to DeBary. There is no comparison between the two.

Sanford also blends into Heathrow and Lake Mary, and all share International Parkway, Colonial Town Park, Park Place, Markham, etc. etc.
I don't find the two to be comparable at all, and while I would consider Sanford as a move if I needed to be in that area, I would never consider DeBary -- there's nothing there.
Sanford does have a considerable amount of entertainment options, and yes, it also does have some great public schools.

Now if we're ONLY discussing the old part of Sanford, of which yes, there is a sizeable ghetto, then sure, but Sanford is MUCH more than just that.

C-D amazes me sometimes, in that people here are QUICK to bring up Lake Mary as some sort of utopia, yet dismiss the entirety of Sanford, when in truth, often times, one can't even tell which of which town they are in, as the two blend together seamlessly.

Don't forget that Sanford makes up a decent swath of Markham Woods, which is easily one of the wealthiest parts of Central Florida.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-01-2020 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Depends... West Sanford is considerably wealthier, nicer (opinion here,) and safer than anything in DeBary.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...e%22%3Atrue%7D
Scroll around West Sanford shown here, and then go up to DeBary. There is no comparison between the two.

Sanford also blends into Heathrow and Lake Mary, and all share International Parkway, Colonial Town Park, Park Place, Markham, etc. etc.
I don't find the two to be comparable at all, and while I would consider Sanford as a move if I needed to be in that area, I would never consider DeBary -- there's nothing there.
Sanford does have a considerable amount of entertainment options, and yes, it also does have some great public schools.

Now if we're ONLY discussing the old part of Sanford, of which yes, there is a sizeable ghetto, then sure, but Sanford is MUCH more than just that.

C-D amazes me sometimes, in that people here are QUICK to bring up Lake Mary as some sort of utopia, yet dismiss the entirety of Sanford, when in truth, often times, one can't even tell which of which town they are in, as the two blend together seamlessly.

Don't forget that Sanford makes up a decent swath of Markham Woods, which is easily one of the wealthiest parts of Central Florida.
I believe the OP asked about the cities in general, and not specific enclaves. I acknowledged that Sanford has some beautiful and very well-off areas. Most cities do though, so Sanford isn’t doing anything particularly special. As a whole though, the city of DeBary’s medium income is almost $20k more than the city of Sanford’s medium income. In an apples to apples comparison of a Sanford vs. DeBary, DeBary is far safer, nicer, newer, and wealthier, like I said. It doesn’t have the entertainment or downtown of Sanford, but then again I wasn’t arguing that either. The parts I bolded were to show that Kyle never gives Orlando credit for those things or much of anything, but is quick to give them to Sanford, of all places. Likely bias because he lives there.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Yet here you are you are denigrating a town over an incident that took place almost 10 years ago, and utilizing false generalizations to paint an inaccurate picture. Let's start with safer. Perhaps DeBary is safer overall, however with a population of just 20K and 1/3 the size of Sanford it would be difficult to be otherwise. Debary's minority population is 5%, so at 95% White the odds are definitely there. One can begin to infer now you're a bit of racist with the claim that Debary is newer, nicer and wealthier which of course isn't the case with your Whites-only blinders. You're apparently very unfamiliar with Sanford outside of the main thoroughfares, otherwise you would realize how much new/newer construction exists along the many miles of the East Lake Mary Blvd corridor, SR415/Celery Avenue corridor, SR46 east and west of I-4, the Orange Blvd corridor north and south of SR46, the Longwood-Markham Rd corridor and along Upsala Road or Oregon Avenue. Debary doesn't have close to as much new/newer construction and anyone with any sense of right or wrong can see that. In terms of wealthier, overall it might be in Debary although that's misleading given the lack of higher income areas there. If you remove the very poor/low income areas of Sanford (roughly the collective few square miles of poor neighborhoods) Sanford crushes Debary's measly 57K average household income. The three mile radius demographics of Colonial Town Park which includes the western half of Sanford has an average household income of 96K, nearly double Debary's. Once you get past your amusement you'll perhaps see (I won't count on it) that when I "denigrate" a city or this state as you claim I so often do, it's fact-based and not some observation I pulled out of my rear-end which is very clearly your origin on this topic.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yet here you are you are denigrating a town over an incident that took place almost 10 years ago, and utilizing false generalizations to paint an inaccurate picture. Let's start with safer. Perhaps DeBary is safer overall, however with a population of just 20K and 1/3 the size of Sanford it would be difficult to be otherwise. Debary's minority population is 5%, so at 95% White the odds are definitely there. One can begin to infer now you're a bit of racist with the claim that Debary is newer, nicer and wealthier which of course isn't the case with your Whites-only blinders. You're apparently very unfamiliar with Sanford outside of the main thoroughfares, otherwise you would realize how much new/newer construction exists along the many miles of the East Lake Mary Blvd corridor, SR415/Celery Avenue corridor, SR46 east and west of I-4, the Orange Blvd corridor north and south of SR46, the Longwood-Markham Rd corridor and along Upsala Road or Oregon Avenue. Debary doesn't have close to as much new/newer construction and anyone with any sense of right or wrong can see that. In terms of wealthier, overall it might be in Debary although that's misleading given the lack of higher income areas there. If you remove the very poor/low income areas of Sanford (roughly the collective few square miles of poor neighborhoods) Sanford crushes Debary's measly 57K average household income. The three mile radius demographics of Colonial Town Park which includes the western half of Sanford has an average household income of 96K, nearly double Debary's. Once you get past your amusement you'll perhaps see (I won't count on it) that when I "denigrate" a city or this state as you claim I so often do, it's fact-based and not some observation I pulled out of my rear-end which is very clearly your origin on this topic.
1. Huh? I’m not white, and nothing about nicer, newer, or wealthier suggests race at all. Why are you race-baiting? This has nothing to do with demographics.

2. Very weak argument. Now you’re playing the coulda-woulda-shoulda game? Can you imagine this argument flying in the real world? Now I know for a certain that you’re a homer. Facts are facts. DeBary’s income is more than Sanford’s income.

3. So when I argue facts, somehow I’m a racist, unfamiliar with Sanford, and pulling stuff out of my rear end. Wow. Gotta love the double standards. Quite simply, you can’t be objective when it comes to Sanford. Its nice areas are very nice, but that’s not close to how much of the city is. Overall, it’s got a bad reputation for a reason. DeBary may not have Sanford’s highs, but it sure as heck doesn’t have its lows, and for me, including the reasons I mentioned before, that makes DeBary the far better option.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
1. Huh? I’m not white, and nothing about nicer, newer, or wealthier suggests race at all. Why are you race-baiting? This has nothing to do with demographics.

2. Very weak argument. Now you’re playing the coulda-woulda-shoulda game? Can you imagine this argument flying in the real world? Now I know for a certain that you’re a homer. Facts are facts. DeBary’s income is more than Sanford’s income.

3. So when I argue facts, somehow I’m a racist, unfamiliar with Sanford, and pulling stuff out of my rear end. Wow. Gotta love the double standards. Quite simply, you can’t be objective when it comes to Sanford. Its nice areas are very nice, but that’s not close to how much of the city is. Overall, it’s got a bad reputation for a reason. DeBary may not have Sanford’s highs, but it sure as heck doesn’t have its lows, and for me, including the reasons I mentioned before, that makes DeBary the far better option.
It has everything to do with demographics and you know it, regardless of your ethnicity. The household income argument is not weak, and you know it doesn't tell the whole story which is no doubt why you latched on to it. I may be a homer but at least I'm not a troll jumping on an old stereotype to make yourself feel better over where you've chosen to live and creating a poll to make yourself sleep better at night. Inadequacies? I can be objective about Sanford which very much has it's problems that include a sizable impoverished population that's very segregated from the rest of the city both figuratively and economically. There's also a significant but declining old boys network that has kept the city from progress versus neighboring Lake Mary, however that margin is narrowing. Sanford's "bad reputation" comes from people like yourself who while not racist supposedly (by the way that's not exclusive to White folks) can't help themselves from publicly posting the load of BS you're spouting in this thread. DeBary is a little backwater Volusia County bedroom community with no downtown, no history and nothing to do. Sanford has history, a thriving downtown, plenty to do and people who drive in from all over to enjoy it daily. Stick to your little vanilla-soulless town and leave the commentary up to people who have an educated/real-life view of reality.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:59 PM

17,565 posts, read 15,657,009 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando