Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 04:24 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,729,373 times

Advertisements

We are heading there next week for house hunting. I have promised teenager a day of shopping. Any recommendations. We are staying in Winter Park and not going anywhere near the parks etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 05:37 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Shopping, as in clothes? The Altamonte Mall has always been (and still is from what I can see) popular and geared towards teenagers.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Shopping, as in clothes? The Altamonte Mall has always been (and still is from what I can see) popular and geared towards teenagers.
I'm assuming she wants to shop for clothes. But then again she is a teenager. We can start there.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:39 AM

7 posts, read 7,890 times
I take my teenage son to Florida Mall. He prefers that one because he can shop at the big stores like H&M and Foot Locker but also the smaller boutique stores where he buys the stuff teenagers seem to be wearing these days.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:22 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
We are heading there next week for house hunting. I have promised teenager a day of shopping. Any recommendations. We are staying in Winter Park and not going anywhere near the parks etc.
Mall at Millenia, Disney Springs and the two outlet malls are my go to for shopping and I’m a but of a shopaholic.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:05 AM

Guys, remember the bold below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
OP does not want to go near "the parks, etc." , hence why I did not recommend anything out there, which would include outlet malls, Millenia and Disney Springs. Millenia is my favorite mall, and Disney Springs would be the most "fun" I guess, but from the OP, looks like they are trying to find something more on the Northern side of town?

Old 04-15-2021, 07:44 AM

210 posts, read 271,726 times
Altamonte Mall is a dead mall. Do not go there.

If your teen is a girl, while in Winter Park visit Dear Jane, The Grove, Charlyi and Sultre. I think all of those stores have a good instagram presence so check it out there first.

Mall at Millenia has a great Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus as well as the other shops you'd find at a high end mall. I prefer the boutiques on the Ave because I don't have to drive I-4. If your teen likes consignment shops there is a decent one called Avalon Exchange. There is a store called "Gator Lilly's" on the ave that is all Lilly Pulitzer consignment. All the years, my niece said that the vintage stuff (which is hilariously from the late 90's) is very popular now.

Florida mall is a disaster but they have a good Zara. The outlets are insanely busy and I don't feel like digging through racks of last years clothes during a pandemic.

Last edited by WinterParkLocal; 04-15-2021 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 07:57 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Guys, remember the bold below...

OP does not want to go near "the parks, etc." , hence why I did not recommend anything out there, which would include outlet malls, Millenia and Disney Springs. Millenia is my favorite mall, and Disney Springs would be the most "fun" I guess, but from the OP, looks like they are trying to find something more on the Northern side of town?

Millenia is pretty far from the parks. The nearest one would be Universal and even from Universal it's still a 10-15 minute drive. I think the OP just wants to avoid tourist traps, but I think it's good for them to know the best shopping. The Mall at Millenia is the most thriving mall nearest to Winter Park as Altamonte as mentioned looks like a dead inside along with Fashion Square Mall. Her teen will probably ask her mom or dad "can we not move here" if that's what the teen thinks shopping will be like in Orlando lol. There is also Winter Park Village and Waterford Lakes Town Center, but it would make no sense to go to these over Mall at Millenia.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Millenia is pretty far from the parks. The nearest one would be Universal and even from Universal it's still a 10-15 minute drive. I think the OP just wants to avoid tourist traps, but I think it's good for them to know the best shopping. The Mall at Millenia is the most thriving mall nearest to Winter Park as Altamonte as mentioned looks like a dead inside along with Fashion Square Mall. Her teen will probably ask her mom or dad "can we not move here" if that's what the teen thinks shopping will be like in Orlando lol. There is also Winter Park Village and Waterford Lakes Town Center, but it would make no sense to go to these over Mall at Millenia.
I though about WP Village and Waterford Lakes, but I agree with you. Makes no real sense to go there.

Last I went to Altamonte Mall (a year ago) it was quite packed, full of teenagers too. It was far from dead, and certainly not like Fashion Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Altamonte Mall is a dead mall. Do not go there.

There is a store called "Gator Lilly's" on the ave that is all Lilly Pulitzer consignment. All the years, my niece said that the vintage stuff (which is hilariously from the late 90's) is very popular now.

The outlets are insanely busy and I don't feel like digging through racks of last years clothes during a pandemic.
Seems like your niece is right. My gf's teen daughter says the same, and they both dress alike now... Weird lol...

Agree with you on the outlets. I don't have the patience for that. I am not sure that the average teenager does either.

I didn't bring up the shops on Park Ave because I pretty much NEVER see teenagers there, so I've always been under the impression that those boutiques catered more to the mid-30s-40s wine-bar-hopping ladies that I see there the most. I guess I'm wrong.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Great points all! We have done Millenia before, might end up there. But as someone noted, she is a huge thrifter and loves vintage clothes, so like those suggestions. Well all but Lilly Pulitzer, she hates it, probably because I like it. We are definitely doing Winter Park Village but that is more for me and DSW. We will drag her to the shops on Park ave just because it's right there.

We have a decent outlet mall and really don't have the patience for that either.

We are attempting to avoid tourists, as we live in a tourist town and that's why we are heading south. Can't avoid them here. They are in our Targets, Publix etc. all the places that have limited stock now are being wiped out by the tourists.

She is actually not making the move with us, heading to college, but she hates our current town, so might actually visit us in Orlando!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando