Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 12:47 PM

837 posts, read 854,878 times

Advertisements

Disney World will never leave for TX because half of TX is too damn hot and another part is too damn dry. FL is wet and it rains almost every other day in the summer is FL is blessed with "perfect" year-round weather. It's not going to MO or CO because those states have four seasons and running a theme park with four full seasons will never work. There's a reason why Coney Island and Great Adventures closes after Halloween and it's because that's when temperatures get colder and it's less profitable to run a theme/amusement park in cold weather.

There's a Disneyland in CA and anywhere else in the country won't work! If the bill is called the "don't say gay" bill, it should also be the "don't say straight" bill as well because that bill (https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557; https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/...2022/html/2825 )specifically gives the right of parents to pull their children out of certain curriculum the parents deem inappropriate and it withhold sex ed from kids as young as 11. I'm no conservative, but the bill is perfect, leaving the rights of parents intact and final.

What Disney needs to do is get rid of the current CEO and put in Iger. We don't need any political tension and this fool is making Disney lose it's shareholders and it's viewers. HE NEEDS TO GO!!! Disney is not a political organization, it's supposed to be for everybody and especially a safe have for children!

Old 04-27-2022, 01:21 PM

578 posts, read 573,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post

What Disney needs to do is get rid of the current CEO and put in Iger. We don't need any political tension and this fool is making Disney lose it's shareholders and it's viewers. HE NEEDS TO GO!!! Disney is not a political organization, it's supposed to be for everybody and especially a safe have for children!

Then tell your governor to stop turning it into a political football. He wants to turn Disney into either a loved rightwing company or a hated left wing company. The whole political situation developed because of that.

Can't be "for everybody" and discriminate against half your customer base.

Old 04-27-2022, 03:46 PM

837 posts, read 854,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Then tell your governor to stop turning it into a political football. He wants to turn Disney into either a loved rightwing company or a hated left wing company. The whole political situation developed because of that.

He's not my governor as I'm technically a resident of PA, a more politically competitive state but either way, it was Disney which turned it to a political football and their flunkies with the annoying "Say Gay" billboards. Those antics will turn FL bright red!

Old 04-27-2022, 06:57 PM

578 posts, read 573,229 times
Except that Disney has a rather high percentage of LGBTQ employees and even more LGBTQ guests and consumers. In an area that is pretty staunchly left. You can't make the environment hostile to them and then expect everyone to make like it doesn't matter. That is the political game there. Desantis knew Disney would be forced to make a choice - loose one group of customers or the other. He thought they would swing back and he would "win" Disney and by reckoning the Orlando Metro area for the right. But it didn't go that way. He declared war and now the left is starting to (finally) fight back. While there are large parts of Florida that are staunchly red, most of the populated areas are not. Last few elections they did not turn out to vote - and even then Desantis didn't win by much. He may have just mobilized a lot more resistance. And the way he dealt with Disney is now going to reflect on other companies who now don't want to be associated with him.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times
Interesting read. Looks like Disney's lawyers are getting to work. A 1 billion dollar bill for FL residents. Ouch!!!

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/...orida-5327004/

All of this is going to be fun to watch.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:59 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post

Disney CHOSE to enter the political fray. Every action has a reaction.

Governor DeSantis will not EVER allow the californication of Florida. Disney will not win anything going forward with a political agenda. The CEO has a fiduciary responsibility to maintain/increase shareholder value and his actions show that has been abandoned by the CEO. He should be fired.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:18 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
As far as I know, Disney’s CEO’s contract expires Feb 2023. There is probably a good chance he will be removed at that point. This wasn’t his first mistake at Disney.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:20 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Disney World will never leave for TX because half of TX is too damn hot and another part is too damn dry. FL is wet and it rains almost every other day in the summer is FL is blessed with "perfect" year-round weather. It's not going to MO or CO because those states have four seasons and running a theme park with four full seasons will never work. There's a reason why Coney Island and Great Adventures closes after Halloween and it's because that's when temperatures get colder and it's less profitable to run a theme/amusement park in cold weather.

There's a Disneyland in CA and anywhere else in the country won't work! If the bill is called the "don't say gay" bill, it should also be the "don't say straight" bill as well because that bill (https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557; https://www.flsenate.gov/Committees/...2022/html/2825 )specifically gives the right of parents to pull their children out of certain curriculum the parents deem inappropriate and it withhold sex ed from kids as young as 11. I'm no conservative, but the bill is perfect, leaving the rights of parents intact and final.

While I agree that a place with four seasons is probably not able to support another Walt Disney World, I wouldn't say "running a theme park with four full seasons will never work."

Not only do Six Flags has theme parks in areas with not so theme park friendly winters, but Disney itself has a theme park in a non-tropical and/or subtropical setting. Disney Paris anyone? The fact that not only Disney Paris, but any theme parks in areas with cold winters don't go out of business due to climate is a testament that it's possible to have a theme park in such places and make it work.

Plus, how can anyone call Orlando's weather perfect? The place feels like it's on the surface of the sun for about seven months. Visiting Walt Disney World in the middle of July feels like you're melting and thank God for air conditioned places. That doesn't seem perfect. Warmer weather than much of the USA is true, but I wouldn't call it perfect.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:38 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times
It’s a sad situation. You go to Disney to forget your cares and experience fantasy for the day (or weekend or week). You don’t want to be reminded of politics (unless people start getting rowdy in The Hall of Presidents).

I don’t have young kids but if I did, I wouldn’t want to take them there and be reminded that I’m supporting a company that doesn’t have a problem teaching them about “gender identity.” I know some parents wouldn’t have a problem with it. But polls show plenty do.

And yes, at least 25% of Disney’s workforce is estimated to be LGBTQ+, so you have some of the employees dealing with some customers that have different views.

Where does this end? What should prevail? Parental rights? LGBTQ rights? Political rights? Corporate rights?

To me, what is best for young kids should win out. I personally think that kids aged K-3 are too young to really understand sexuality or sex differences/orientation. Let them be kids.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:09 AM

491 posts, read 519,528 times
Disney won. You have to have a better strategy if want to beat them.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...-district-debt

Disney says Florida can’t dissolve special tax district until debt is fully paid
The Reedy Creek special district made a statement last week indicating it would conduct business as usual
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando