Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieRN View Post
I know this post is a bit dated but 32810. Looking at a place in Lockhart. Is the bad part considered west of 441 which I see on a map is pine hills/rosemont? What about 32771? I see a home between S Persimmon & W Airport Blvd.
I live in 32771 and most of it is fine, more or less equivalent to what's seen in Lake Mary in terms of safety. The area you're referring to is what's known as Goldsboro which is around 95% black and low income, and where the vast majority of the crime within 32771 occurs. What kind of a price range is driving you toward homes in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 19,006 times
Default price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in 32771 and most of it is fine, more or less equivalent to what's seen in Lake Mary in terms of safety. The area you're referring to is what's known as Goldsboro which is around 95% black and low income, and where the vast majority of the crime within 32771 occurs. What kind of a price range is driving you toward homes in these areas?
Hi, sorry I am not very forum savvy so I'm not sure if there is a way to @ you all responding. Thanks so much for the input on the areas. One of the places I am looking at is off Magnolia Homes, Arcenal.

Kyle, I'm looking for an investment so it's not particularly for me to live in per se unless as back-up. I've been here 5 years so I can't say that I know many areas well as I've only lived in Hunter's Creek and Millenia areas. As for price range, I find it hard to get a place that will cash flow unless it's less than 100k. The property taxes are much higher here than in GA...but in GA we have state tax. I basically chose these areas b/c on the forums the consensus is Pine Hills is Crime Hills and Parramore is a rough area as well. So is Americana so I figure further north would be better. I don't want war zone but I do need affordable. I'm AA so I think my experience may be a little different as far as what I consider ghetto. If I'd listened to everything on here, I would not be living by Millenia b/c most people also said that it was a bad area but I've had no issues on both Conroy and Millenia. However, it's always been a gated community.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Default 32810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That part of Sanford you're referring to is a tad bit ghetto. If you're comfortable with that, fine. Crime isn't much of an issue in Sanford overall, but you're going to witness the standard rif-raff that comes with your typical ghetto: loud noise, drug dealers, etc.

32810 is hit-or-miss. For West of 441, I would avoid the area between Pine Hills rd and 441, including the apartments behind Wal-Mart. The part near Beggs and Hiawassee is fine.
For East of 441, I'd stay North of Beggs/Riverside Park, and West of 434, avoiding 434 altogether. There are some very nice neighborhoods in the area, especially between Rose and Magnolia Homes rd, closer to the 414.
Thank you for this useful information. One place that I am considering is just shy of Beggs but between Rose and Magnolia Homes Rd off of Magnolia Pointe.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:17 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Hi, sorry I am not very forum savvy so I'm not sure if there is a way to @ you all responding. Thanks so much for the input on the areas. One of the places I am looking at is off Magnolia Homes, Arcenal.

Kyle, I'm looking for an investment so it's not particularly for me to live in per se unless as back-up. I've been here 5 years so I can't say that I know many areas well as I've only lived in Hunter's Creek and Millenia areas. As for price range, I find it hard to get a place that will cash flow unless it's less than 100k. The property taxes are much higher here than in GA...but in GA we have state tax. I basically chose these areas b/c on the forums the consensus is Pine Hills is Crime Hills and Parramore is a rough area as well. So is Americana so I figure further north would be better. I don't want war zone but I do need affordable. I'm AA so I think my experience may be a little different as far as what I consider ghetto. If I'd listened to everything on here, I would not be living by Millenia b/c most people also said that it was a bad area but I've had no issues on both Conroy and Millenia. However, it's always been a gated community.
Keep in mind, it's not so much that it's primarily an AA area; it's very low-income, has lots of shady activity going on, and is just not an area I'd pick as a first choice.

That said, you mention avoiding Pine Hills. There are actually some pretty nice parts of Pine Hills. I wouldn't write off the entire area. Parramore is an entirely different story.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

As an FYI you don't need to look into financially downtrodden, low income neighborhoods with zero appreciation in order to afford an income property. Both Deltona and Orange City (one exit or so east of Sanford on I-4) provide a number of options under 100K in areas that aren't crime-ridden.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Keep in mind, it's not so much that it's primarily an AA area; it's very low-income, has lots of shady activity going on, and is just not an area I'd pick as a first choice.

That said, you mention avoiding Pine Hills. There are actually some pretty nice parts of Pine Hills. I wouldn't write off the entire area. Parramore is an entirely different story.

Are you referring to Goldsboro area as being very low income or the Magnolia Point area? As for Pine Hills, I've seen what appears to be decent areas off of Hiawassee. Which parts do you think are the "better" parts from a map standpoint? North of Silverstar?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Deltona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As an FYI you don't need to look into financially downtrodden, low income neighborhoods with zero appreciation in order to afford an income property. Both Deltona and Orange City (one exit or so east of Sanford on I-4) provide a number of options under 100K in areas that aren't crime-ridden.
Thank you for your input. I was told to look at Deltona and Orange City. Orange City looked a bit run down. The decent homes in Deltona had higher property taxes and rent is cheaper so I didn't feel it would cash flow so erased the area out of my head. LOL I will give it another shot. It's been a few months and it IS a new year.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Are you referring to Goldsboro area as being very low income or the Magnolia Point area? As for Pine Hills, I've seen what appears to be decent areas off of Hiawassee. Which parts do you think are the "better" parts from a map standpoint? North of Silverstar?
Goldsboro.

Magnolia Point area is fine.

For Pine Hills, to me, most areas off of Hiawassee North of Silver Star are fine. The thing with Pine Hills is that it's very hit-or-miss. You'll have a nice, quiet neighborhood, but just a few blocks North, you'll have run-down apartments and mobile homes rampant with drug and gang activity.

My wife's cousins used to live around Indian Hill for years, and I always felt perfectly safe visiting them.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
The events a few weeks ago of the 2 law enforcement officers giving their lives and the ensuing manhunt really highlighted how much of a checker board our community is. On one side of I4 is downtown with life as usual, high rise condos, clubs and bars. Simply walk underneath I4 and it was like a city under siege, cops in combat gear patrolling the streets with assault rifles. Than on my drives home I would weave in between picturesque communities like College Park and go a few blocks over and your pretty much right by the shooting scene and back in the search grid. Even my own home in a very professional area of Maitland saw action just a few blocks away as we border Forest City. Than after all that, they find the perp hiding in Carver Shores which is maybe a mile or two away from the Ritzy Metrowest and Dr. Phillips areas. My point in saying all this, zip codes aren't the greatest indicators and things go from bad to good, good to bad quickly here in Orange County.

RIP Lt. Debra Clayton and PFC Norm Lewis

Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
The events a few weeks ago of the 2 law enforcement officers giving their lives and the ensuing manhunt really highlighted how much of a checker board our community is. On one side of I4 is downtown with life as usual, high rise condos, clubs and bars. Simply walk underneath I4 and it was like a city under siege, cops in combat gear patrolling the streets with assault rifles. Than on my drives home I would weave in between picturesque communities like College Park and go a few blocks over and your pretty much right by the shooting scene and back in the search grid. Even my own home in a very professional area of Maitland saw action just a few blocks away as we border Forest City. Than after all that, they find the perp hiding in Carver Shores which is maybe a mile or two away from the Ritzy Metrowest and Dr. Phillips areas. My point in saying all this, zip codes aren't the greatest indicators and things go from bad to good, good to bad quickly here in Orange County.

RIP Lt. Debra Clayton and PFC Norm Lewis
I totally understand. It was funny to me that I never knew about all the crime here until I made the move. I use to visit and thought it was nice. From a business standpoint, they have to protect their image. It's kinda ironic that things are coming to light now as there seems to have been quite a few high profile cases in the 5 yrs I've been here. I see that things are a bit more block to block than I am use to. Just trying to find a balance. RIP to the officers. I'm just glad they finally found him as it was scary knowinga killer was on the loose! The organization that I work for has seen its fair share of news worthy events in the patients that we care for this past year starting with Pulse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando