Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM

83 posts, read 168,560 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what criteria they used to compare the data. The ranking is absolutely ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 PM

148 posts, read 339,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
I did not do the research reported in the article so I can't defend it's accuracy. I just got tired of reading all the threads on this site about the safest area to live in that weren't backed up by any references to published data, but instead seemed only to be based on personal opinion/bias. If anyone has other published data, please feel free to share it.

However, I think it's fairly obvious that the security guard manned, gated community you are now living in Seminole County at a pop of $2,100 a year in part for that security would have less crime than any non-security guard gated neighborhood in Avalon Park, or most any other unguarded neighborhood in the Orlando metro area for that matter.

If you care to provide your zip code we could try and research other crime databases for yuks to see how it compares with Avalon Park. It may be that your insulated little gated neighborhod is not reflective of the crime or overall safety of your zip code/community.
I can't even imagine how long it took you and how many of my old posts you had to read to come up with this response. Seeing as you have that much free time in your hands, I would have thought the results of your research would be more exhaustive and accurate.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,401 times
Is it safe to say that zip codes don't tell the whole story? One zip code can house a variety of neighborhoods. Looking at the stats cited, something seems off. I'll take my chances in Delany Park/Conway over Pine Hills/Hiawassee.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM

166 posts, read 384,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
So basically, that real estate website is using the information from Esri, which is also the same source used by OBJ.
I don't believe that the real estate website is using Esri's data. My guess would be that they are both using the FBI's UCR crime data as an underlying basis of their results. Thus the similarity in the numbers.

Quote:
I'm also aware that there are some sketchier parts around 32789 (around Eatonville). But I still don't think that's enough to come such incredible stat, especially when Eatonville is not even part of that zip code.
Yes, I agree that 32789 does not overlap with Eatonville, but it does border it. What 32789 does do is include all of the century old 'wrong (west) side of the railroad tracks' neighborhoods of old Winter Park.

Quote:
Actually, playing around with that website even more, it also says that Clermont has a crime index of 70 while Pine Hills has a crime index of 46. Let's see what all the Clermont lovers have to say about that...
The OBJ article had Clermont zip 34714 with a total crime index of 125 and the other Clermont zip of 34715 with an index of 40. So clearly there are significantly different demographics in those two areas of the city. Perhaps a Clermont expert can offer an opinion on what the the differences are between the two areas of the city.

Last edited by Consigliere; 02-10-2014 at 09:53 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha_DrPhillips View Post
I have no idea what criteria they used to compare the data. The ranking is absolutely ridiculous.
If you can provide some published statistics that contradict the info. contained in the article please feel free to share it. A flippant comment conveying your personal opinion that the ranking is ridiculous does not add much to the discussion.

Last edited by Consigliere; 02-10-2014 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodurante View Post
I can't even imagine how long it took you and how many of my old posts you had to read to come up with this response. Seeing as you have that much free time in your hands, I would have thought the results of your research would be more exhaustive and accurate.
The response only took a few minutes. If you have other published data you feel is more accurate please feel free to share it.

Last edited by Consigliere; 02-10-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway Cruster View Post
Is it safe to say that zip codes don't tell the whole story? One zip code can house a variety of neighborhoods.
Obviously, zip codes don't tell the whole story. But this is a thread about good and bad zip codes is it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conway Cruster View Post
Looking at the stats cited, something seems off. I'll take my chances in Delany Park/Conway over Pine Hills/Hiawassee.
Delaney Park is in zip 32806 which includes Delaney Park as well as all of the area along Orange Avenue from downtown to south of Gatlin Avenue. It does not include Conway proper as far as I remember. Is Delaney Park combined with the area of Orange Avenue from downtown to south of Gatlin Avenue safer than the 32818 area of Pine Hills. I don't know. It appears that it may not be.

Last edited by Consigliere; 02-10-2014 at 10:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
I don't believe that the real estate website is using Esri's data. My guess would be that they are both using the FBI's UCR crime data as an underlying basis of their results. Thus the similarity in the numbers.
That real estate website and OBJ article has to be using the same geographic Esri service or some extremely close methodology because the crime indexes are way too similar. If you use the real estate website to search the indexes for the zip codes provided by that OBJ article, you'll get almost the same numbers. The only difference is that OBJ is using 2012 numbers (maybe) and that real estate website uses indexes for 2010. That maybe explains why the numbers might be different by around 2. But you can't deny that the those indexes are almost identical.

So now that we see that we can get those OBJ stats by playing around with that real estate website, we can use FBI data to debunk both of those sources you provided. For example, in 2010, Oakland, CA had a total crime index of 57.57 crimes per 1,000 people. On the other hand, the same 2010 FBI program shows that Winter Park, FL had a total crime index of 33.77 crimes per 1,000 residents. But that real estate website says that Winter Park has a crime index of 295 and Oakland has a crime index of 179?

I think you know where I'm going with this...

Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
That real estate website and OBJ article has to be using the same geographic Esri service or some extremely close methodology because the crime indexes are way too similar. If you use the real estate website to search the indexes for the zip codes provided by that OBJ article, you'll get almost the same numbers. The only difference is that OBJ is using 2012 numbers (maybe) and that real estate website uses indexes for 2010. That maybe explains why the numbers might be different by around 2. But you can't deny that the those indexes are almost identical.

So now that we see that we can get those OBJ stats by playing around with that real estate website, we can use FBI data to debunk both of those sources you provided. For example, in 2010, Oakland, CA had a total crime index of 57.57 crimes per 1,000 people. On the other hand, the same 2010 FBI program shows that Winter Park, FL had a total crime index of 33.77 crimes per 1,000 residents. But that real estate website says that Winter Park has a crime index of 295 and Oakland has a crime index of 179?

I think you know where I'm going with this...

I don’t know anything about crime in Oakland, CA, but there is additional crime data out there for Winter Park zip 32789 that would appear to support what was reported in the OBJ article, some of which is listed below. Also, I believe that the FBI numbers you discussed above for Winter Park are for the entire city of Winter Park, which I believe is in error since the OBJ numbers for Winter Park you are questioning were only for zip 32789.

Realtor.com
32789 crime index = 270
National average = 100

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
32789 crime index = 303
National average = 100

Homesandlandorlando.com
32789 crime index = 300
National average = 100

Hoodrate.com
“…Winter Park (32789) is a high crime area, with an overall crime rate of 831.03 crimes reported per 10,000 citizens.”

Neighborhood Scout
They assign Winter Park (I believe all zip codes combined) a crime index of 12, which according to them means that 88% of all cities in the US are safer than WP.

Winter Park Voice
A fairly recent letter to the editor of the Winter Park Voice would appear to perhaps substantiate what was reported in OBJ article and reads in part: “The Winter Park City Commission has been derelict for several years in taking responsibility for the horrific crime problem in Winter Park. Crime is never a regular agenda item at City Commission meetings and with very few exceptions never a topic of discussion there. This sadly, is par for the course for this elected City Commission that white washes nearly every problem in the City with its extravagant Public Relations budget paid for at taxpayer expense."

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2014 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
I don’t know anything about crime in Oakland, CA, but there is additional crime data out there for Winter Park zip 32789 that would appear to support what was reported in the OBJ article:

Realtor.com
32789 crime index = 270
National average = 100

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
32789 crime index = 303
National average = 100

Homesandlandorlando.com
32789 crime index = 300
National average = 100

Hoodrate.com
“…Winter Park (32789) is a high crime area, with an overall crime rate of 831.03 crimes reported per 10,000 citizens.”

Neighborhood Scout
They assign Winter Park (I believe all zip codes combined) a crime index of 12, which according to them means that 88% of all cities in the US are safer than WP.

Winter Park Voice
A recent letter to the editor of the Winter Park Voice reads in part: “The Winter Park City Commission has been derelict for several years in taking responsibility for the horrific crime problem in Winter Park. Crime is never a regular agenda item at City Commission meetings and with very few exceptions never a topic of discussion there. This sadly, is par for the course for this elected City Commission that white washes nearly every problem in the City with its extravagant Public Relations budget paid for at taxpayer expense."
Seriously, all those websites except Neighborhood Scout (which I also use myself), don't seem like they're getting any stats correct. Hoodrate is not even showing stats for the zip code, but of Winter Park itself. The funny thing is that their made-up stats don't agree with the FBI at all. Realtor.com also doesn't show how it gets those numbers. For HomeFair, I was searching stats for the same zip codes given by OBJ and they also seem identical. As I showed with a previous post, if the stats are like the ones by OBJ, then it might contradict what the FBI says. It also seems like Homesandlandorlando.com are also using the same proprietary stuff. As for the letter, that's just a guy/girl who also looked at the same OBJ article without questioning it. That proves how questionable articles can throw people off.

OTOH, Neighborhood Scout is a good website and like City-Data, actually shows the FBI stats that are being referred to. The crime index DOES show that Winter Park is worse than 88% of cities and that is because of the property crime that is being included. That just means that 88% of cities in the U.S. may have lower amount of burglaries and thefts, which might be a problem in Winter Park. But as you can see, WP's violent crime rate is super low. Some cities have high violent crime rates but a low amount of property crime.

Anyways, the whole point was that you posted questionable OBJ stats instead of just sticking to more reliable stats. Also, no offense, but this isn't the first time you post some random stats from who knows where (I think it was in the thread about Puerto Ricans). That's something you want to avoid.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2014 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando