Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM

345 posts, read 977,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Well the best thing to know about Disney?

They don't force you to go, they don't require you to like them and I'm fairly certain, they won't miss your $.

I'm one that believes to each his own. I'm not partial to theme parks but I don't feel the need to go and disect them on a forum.....buy resurrecting a two year old thread in the process.

But that's just me.
Disney World can't force you to go.

In-laws, on the other hand.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteU View Post
For example--I am a huge fan of the 1990s alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins. To me, every time I hear a Pumpkins song, it brings a rush of emotion and feelings and memories deeply personal to me. To me, they manage the perfect mix between hard rock and beautiful melodies. To me, the lyrics seem poetic and deep. That's how it sounds to me.
Nice example, this speaks volumes too..

Quote:
To me, Disney World comes off as fake, contrived, overpriced and overcrowded
Silly you, that's what it's supposed to be like, it's a fantasy world not the real world and while entertaining children and their parents alike, but most of the adult joy is supposed to come from the joy your children experience and will remember their entire lives.. The price for those memories is well................Priceless actually, but you have to be a loving, caring & positive individual/parent to understand that that is what Disney is all really about, so what they charge is really not on the radar screen to those who understand that is what Disney provides.. Duh, an enjoyable & popular attraction will be crowded, no way to avoid that...

Quote:
But I know there are lots of people such as yourself that talk about Disney being "magic" and how it brings "fantastic release and wonder" and how they feel like a kid when they go there because it brings back memories. And that's fine. That's not my reaction--pretty much the opposite, but I'm not going to claim that those people are somehow defective or delusional for feeling that way. To each his own.
Point completely missed on your part...

Quote:
But sorry to say, I'm hardly a miserable person with a miserable life simply because I don't like Disney World. I've got plenty of other places that can give me wonder, magic and joy. That's how I roll and how I feel. We're not all expected to have the same opinions on certain things, Disney World included.
Sorry to say, but sadly it doesn't sound like you nor your life is not so miserable from where I sit.. I may be wrong but I also suspect not a parent either... If you are, well sorry for your children.. I have a brother like you only seeing the negative in such great things and frankly we don't speak much I can only absorb so much negative outlook before I want to barf, he has 2 daughters who go to Disney mostly with their mother only, how sad..

Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
I don't hate it, but I'd be just fine if I never went again.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
But I know there are lots of people such as yourself that talk about Disney being "magic" and how it brings "fantastic release and wonder" and how they feel like a kid when they go there because it brings back memories. And that's fine. That's not my reaction--pretty much the opposite, but I'm not going to claim that those people are somehow defective or delusional for feeling that way. To each his own.

But sorry to say, I'm hardly a miserable person with a miserable life simply because I don't like Disney World. I've got plenty of other places that can give me wonder, magic and joy. That's how I roll and how I feel. We're not all expected to have the same opinions on certain things, Disney World included.
Well said.

The world is full of choices and few (if any) should be utilized as character deficiencies by one camp or another. A like/dislike of a theme park certainly isn't one that defines one's personality or character and find it sad how some take this particular topic so personally. I'm with Granny Sue, to each his own.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM

511 posts, read 854,799 times
The thing is, like it or not, that studies show otherwise and many institutions such as credit companies, insurance, future employers and so on are more and more using these personality indicators & opinions of a persons likes and dislikes to determine more about a persons future leanings on certain polices etc.. While I don't agree with and am myself rather offended by the pigeon hole effect and judgmental nature of these studies it's more and more a proven fact none the less, so it's not just a personal supposition..

Anyway, that's another topic but in this case relevant to this thread since it seems to be swinging that way..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Nice example, this speaks volumes too..

Silly you, that's what it's supposed to be like, it's a fantasy world not the real world and while entertaining children and their parents alike, but most of the adult joy is supposed to come from the joy your children experience and will remember their entire lives.. The price for those memories is well................Priceless actually, but you have to be a loving, caring & positive individual/parent to understand that that is what Disney is all really about, so what they charge is really not on the radar screen to those who understand that is what Disney provides.. Duh, an enjoyable & popular attraction will be crowded, no way to avoid that...

Point completely missed on your part...

Sorry to say, but sadly it doesn't sound like you nor your life is not so miserable from where I sit.. I may be wrong but I also suspect not a parent either... If you are, well sorry for your children.. I have a brother like you only seeing the negative in such great things and frankly we don't speak much I can only absorb so much negative outlook before I want to barf, he has 2 daughters who go to Disney mostly with their mother only, how sad..
Actually, you not only may be wrong, you actually are wrong, as I am a parent to two joyful and loving children. (Had you read closer to some of my prior posts in this thread, you would have known this.) And I'm happy to report that we routinely do many fun and enjoyable activities that bring joys and smiles to us all. But I know it's easier to make judgments about the character of total strangers based on a single opinion expressed on an internet message board.

Come on now. You are acting like I just called Walt Disney himself a murderer/child abuser and that you just so happen to be his grandchild. Let's get real. It's an amusement park, based around a fictional stuffed rodent and his friends as well as numerous fairy tales and children's stories, most of which existed long before a single palmetto bush was ever slashed to make way for Cindrella's Castle. Like it, don't like it, but no reason to be so offended if someone dares not share your same opinion about it.

Before Walt Disney World ever existed, children and adults alike still had plenty of moments of joy and magic and enchantment. And 500 years from now, if Disney World is nothing but a historic relic like the Roman Coliseum, people will still have those moments. Are you saying that people from other countries without Disney Worlds of their own to visit are somehow deprived in their ability to fully enjoy things in life? Life does not begin or end at the shores of Lake Buena Vista.

If you like Disney World, that's fine with me. If your children like Disney World and you get a vicarious sense of enjoyment from their enjoyment, terrific. Different strokes for different folks. Just don't be so shocked or judgmental when someone has an opinion about something that's diametrically opposite from your own. It happens all the time, even amongst friends and familes, let alone strangers on the net.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
The thing is, like it or not, that studies show otherwise and many institutions such as credit companies, insurance, future employers and so on are more and more using these personality indicators & opinions of a persons likes and dislikes to determine more about a persons future leanings on certain polices etc.. While I don't agree with and am myself rather offended by the pigeon hole effect and judgmental nature of these studies it's more and more a proven fact none the less, so it's not just a personal supposition..

Anyway, that's another topic but in this case relevant to this thread since it seems to be swinging that way..
If a credit card company/insurer/potential employer asks me what my opinion about Disney World is, chances are I'd probably look for a different credit card company/insurer/potential employer.......

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
All opinions about anything--places, people, things--is entirely subjective. Two people can look at a one thing and have reactions that are 180 degrees apart from one another.

For example--I am a huge fan of the 1990s alternative rock band The Smashing Pumpkins. To me, every time I hear a Pumpkins song, it brings a rush of emotion and feelings and memories deeply personal to me. To me, they manage the perfect mix between hard rock and beautiful melodies. To me, the lyrics seem poetic and deep. That's how it sounds to me.

And yet I've hear from other people that when they hear a Pumpkins song, their only impression is that lead singer Billy Corgan's voice sounds like a sick cat in heat (and even I will admit it is something of an acquired taste) and they wouldn't dream of buying an album of theirs.

And you know what? That's perfectly fine. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and visa versa. A subjective opinion does not make any person better or worse than another.

To me, Disney World comes off as fake, contrived, overpriced, and overcrowded, not to mention my distaste in the story of how the place got built and what it brought to the area. Not to mention that in my visits there, the place didn't really leave that much of an impression at all on my young daughter, so I can't even say I got out anything of it from that perspective, either.

Just have to ask.....did you go see them at EPCOT this fall? They were one of the concerts for Food and Wine Festival. Really enjoyed it-even though I had no idea who they were. I can't remember if I posted any thing on this topic before, but have to say I love all the parks for different reasons. There is beauty to see in every one of them beyond the rides. They all have different activities/festivals going on all year long. Sometimes we don't go to any shows or ride on a ride when we go to EPCOT. Animal Kingdom, Sea World Or Busch Gardens. there is not a lack of things to do at any of the parks.
Even though crowds are huge, my favorite times at the parks is in December for Christmas.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Just have to ask.....did you go see them at EPCOT this fall? They were one of the concerts for Food and Wine Festival. Really enjoyed it-even though I had no idea who they were. I can't remember if I posted any thing on this topic before, but have to say I love all the parks for different reasons. There is beauty to see in every one of them beyond the rides. They all have different activities/festivals going on all year long. Sometimes we don't go to any shows or ride on a ride when we go to EPCOT. Animal Kingdom, Sea World Or Busch Gardens. there is not a lack of things to do at any of the parks.
Even though crowds are huge, my favorite times at the parks is in December for Christmas.
Smashing Pumpkins were definitely not playing at the Food and Wine Festival this year,maybe you were confusing them for Gin Blossoms who were also popular in the 90's.I didn't see them this year but did in 2011,they were very good,but far from the best I've seen at the festivals in Epcot.This is another reason I won't let my annual passes expire for Disney,Universal or Busch Gardens and Sea World,between the festivals at Epcot with the concerts,Mardi Gras at Universal,the Bands Brew and BBQ at Sea World and Busch Gardens and the Halloween events there's stuff going on year round to keep you entertained,now I just need to move closer to be there more often.Here's the Food and Wine concert Lineup for 2012 in case it wasn't Gin Blossoms you were thinking about.

2012 Eat to the Beat Concert Line Up

9/28-9/30: Night Ranger
10/1-10/3: Sugar Ray
10/4- 10/7: STARSHIP starring Mickey Thomas
10/8-10/10: Boyz II Men
10/11-10/12: Smash Mouth (NEW)
10/13-10/14: Javier Colon, winner of “The Voice” (NEW)
10/15-10/17: Air Supply
10/18-10/19: Gin Blossoms
10/20-10/21: Survivor
10/22-10/23: Hanson
10/24-10/25: The Pointer Sisters
10/26-10/28: Sister Hazel
10/29-10/31: Billy Ocean
11/1-11/2: 38 Special
11/3-11/4: Howard Jones LIVE
11/5-11/6: Blues Traveler (NEW)
11/7-11/8: Dennis DeYoung, original member of the group STYX (NEW)
11/9-11/12: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengregg View Post
Disney world is a great place to enjoy and fun with friends
It is for a lot of people bengregg...but some think it's cool to hate on the theme parks even tho nobody forces them to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando