Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 27,254 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 21 yr old college student in Orlando, Fl and I am considering moving out of the not-so-sunshine-state. I have been here for the last 8 years. Needless to say, I hate it and I am ready for a new move.

These are why I want to move away from there. I know it's long but please read:

1)The job market in Orlando, Fl is virtually non- existent. I have been looking for a permanent fulltime since December of last year. I went 3 months looking for an admin job before something finally opened- a TEMP. I had a caucasion supervisor, and after learning all of the new material faster and knew it better than most of employess already there, I was notified less than 2 weeks later, on my way to work one morning, that the supervisor decided to let me go by my temp agency. And why? "Your supervisor states that you were failing to grasp the material." Which I knew was untrue, because training was supposed to last 4-6 weeks, but they were so impressed with my speed, I was placed on the floor in less than a week. But Florida, sadly is a right-to-work state. It didn't matter if it was true or not, an employer can decide to let you go for any stupid, trivial reason. It is now August 2008, and all I have managed to get are different temp jobs here and there. The cost of living is so high here and the wages they pay are so low. And most employers won't even look at you if you can't speak spanish!?! Which leads to my second reason why I want to move...

2) High cost of living+ low wage (or non existent job market) = High CRIME
The crime here has skyrocketed. With central Fl being inundated with hispanics (who refuse to learn english) and all the other people moving here thinking it's going to be better than where thay came from, it's just getting too congested. I am an African American female, and sadly I see that with a shrinking economy in Fl it's all the more tighter for minorities trying to get their foot in the door. In Orlando, it's sad to say, but it is very rare to see successful educated black people. There are too many thugs, vagabonds, and hoodlums taken over the streets. And Orlando, is no longer the safe place it used to be.

3) I would like a more positive environment. People here are rude, heartless, and impersonal. And there's a slight but subtle racism. You have to catch it though... Communities are either all black (low income, ghetto, hood) or all white. I don't think of myself as any better than anybody, I love meeting and talking to people from all ethnic socio-economic backgrnds. But in Orlando, things feel all too divided and seperated.

Is it just me or does it seem extremely difficult to meet decent people and make new friends? Even the dating scene is lifeless. Not like I'm out there desperate for a man, but you it is very rare to meet men that have some level of class and education.

4) The public transportation here absolutely SUCKS! if you don't have a car here you are literally stranded or you're forced to depend on people and constantly ask people for rides. I see too many kids, even young mothers with babies in their hand waiting for the sorry Lynx bus at night which only runs ONCE AN HOUR AFTER 6pm and on the WEEKENDS.??!

I would like to be in a lively city that's rich in it's culture and it's heritage. Where I can actually see people (and my people) striving for success. And also a city that thrives on diversity. I want to be in a place where I can be proud to call home.

Orlando is definitely not the place. I have found, that unless you are already well established,and wealthy it is a hard place to live. Is it just me? How do u feel a/b living here? What about you? Do you also want to move? Why? I know I can't be alone in this. I would really like your feed back thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 AM

29 posts, read 80,222 times
I would recommend moving somewhere is the south east. The first place that comes to mind is Altanta. Low cost of living, lots of job opportunity, and many many upwardly mobile African Americans. I am from South Carolina, so I have a natural affinity for Charleston and Columbia, but neither of those cities have great public transportation. You may want to look into Charlotte as well.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:50 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
I have heard nothing but bad about Orlando. Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Glad though that you have the ambition to get out and make your life better. I wish you good luck ! You will succeed !

Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM

Thanks for your response. Those were some very good city suggestions. I've heard lots of positive things about Charlotte and plan to visit during my winter break.

Please keep the posts coming!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:58 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellesoul View Post
With central Fl being inundated with hispanics (who refuse to learn english)

I don't think of myself as any better than anybody, I love meeting and talking to people from all ethnic socio-economic backgrnds.

And also a city that thrives on diversity.
Mod delete: Name calling Most of those "Hispanics" who supposedly "refuse to learn English" already know it, unless you are talking about Kissimmee or something like that!

...but you should try DC. Forget about Atlanta, it's just an oversized Orlando with jobs and a few isolated pockets of well-to-do blacks (everyone tends to live segregated) to tell you the truth. Seeing what you are looking for, I think you would like DC a LOT!

Last edited by cmj_fla; 08-26-2008 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 09:18 AM

I am not a hypocrite. I have no problem with diversity. I have many hispanic friends. As a matter of fact my church is majority hispanic. But when illegal aliens flood communities and take most jobs (which are low wage anyway and that's why they're flooding Orl for service work) and statistics are showing that they are the cause for majority of crime, that is where I have a problem.

My people are from the caribbean (Haiti) and came here LEGALLY for a better life. I have no problem with people from different ethnicities doing the same. That is the essence of what makes America, AMERICA. But I don't agree with most employers refusing to hire well qualified candidates because they can't speak spanish to cater to most of their ILLEGAL spanish speaking customers.

Anyway, I do not want to change the original topic of this thread. As I'm sure there are plenty of other threads debating the issue of illegal aliens. But I would appreciate any other comments that would support reasons as to why they want to move out of Orlando, Fl. Thank you.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
I'm sure you realize that virtually all of the Hispanics in Orlando come from Puerto Rico. However, Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, so they can move here just as you can move to the DC area without getting any papers. I share your view on immigration, but for the most part that actually isn't the case in Orlando. I think you have it confused with LA.

To be honest, I saw more illegal aliens fill service positions in North Carolina and also Georgia than I ever saw in most parts of Florida, including Orlando. I didn't want to assume, but I talked to the locals and they said a lot of the same things you were saying about getting a service job...

Illegal aliens in Florida are mostly employed in the (faltering) construction industry.

I don't even like Orlando myself so I have no reason to defend it either, before we use that excuse...

Can you show me the statistics that illegals are responsible for "most" of the crime in the Orlando area?

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-26-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM

216 posts, read 913,476 times
Why did you indicate that your supervisor was Caucasian?

Anyway, if you are unhappy with all of those things here, then you should definitely move. Check out some other places on city-data forums and find one that offers most of what you are looking for.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times
Back to topic please. Any further flaming or going off topic and this thread will be closed. Thank you

Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM

33 posts, read 99,176 times
I understand your plight especially since I cannot find a job myself despite having a graduate degree. I moved here from New York and while jobs are in abundance there, the cost of living takes at least 90% of the large salaries.

Coming from up North, Orlando is a breath of fresh air for me. Of course, like you, I am also choked by the lack of opportunities for people here of all ethnicity including caucasians. Do not look at your lack of opportunities as a direct result of the color of your skin. I'm black and Jamaican by birth and like you I came here legally. I also know people who came here illegally and they have a much difficult time trying to survive. People leave their homeland for opportunities and illegal or not, everyone wants to do well.

The most you can do is to try and move to another larger area with more job opportunities. If the area demands higher education requirements (college) then I suggest you get all you need to put yourself in the forefront and gear up to be competitive.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando